How do you stop being a registred user on Ebay?

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

felagund

How do you stop being a registred user on Ebay?

Post by felagund » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:18 pm

Hi guys,

A simple question:

How do you stop being a registred user on Ebay? I have seen guys with hardly any negative feedback and with 500+ positives that are not regisrted anymore. Does it mean they were expelled or they closed the account by themselves? Does the number of negative feedback or shill bidding affect this?

I didn't have time to look for it on Ebay's site so I thought some of you know anyway  ;)

Thanks!

AXIOS

Re: How do you stop being a registred user on Ebay

Post by AXIOS » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:21 pm

can have lots of causes,

shill bidding, account taken over by some russian hackers, other proof of illegal activities (guns, drugs)

my 2 cents

hammr7

Post by hammr7 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:57 pm

It could be that they just want out.  When you join eBay you give them a credit card, and the right to bill it at any time.  When you join Paypal (an eBay company) you link to a credit card and / or bank account, which Paypal has the right to freeze (for everything in it, not just your potential Paypal liabilities) if enoughcustomers complain.

Or it could be some technicality.  I know a fairly large eBay seller who was put out of business for 3 weeks because he forgot to update the expiration date on hs credit card.  After the "old" expiration date passed, they yanked all his active auctions (of course they still charged him for them).   His feedback history was almost perfect and his credit card was still fine, just with a new expiration date, but eBay didn't care.  They froze his eBay account, and when he finally got back on line it took him months to fully explain what happened to his old customers.  

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:59 am

Other things include advertising for other sites in your auction.  Of course many people still do this today but it is almost eBay's discretion if they pursue this violation of policy.  I used to tell new vondors I knew to advertise their sites this way.  For example.  Put up a Revised Underground Sea for 2 weeks with a $.01 start bid.  Even if the Sea went for low, advertising your web site amongst many M:TG players was a good cheap way to advertise.  eBay started doing acount suspensions as a result, which took a long time to get cleared/reinstated.  If you take the time to actually read all eBay policies in detail, you will see there are many loop holes they can axe your account on that people do all the time.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:09 am

Or they could've been late for payments when the guy in charge of returning accounts is having a bad day. I thought e-bay charges were auomatically deducted from your paypal account, until my ebay accocunt got banned for it >_>;

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:42 am

yeah, they suspended my account and charged me an extra 15 dollars.  I told them I didn't want to pay.  They emailed me back re-explaining the situation.  I said I understood and didn't want to pay.  They dropped the charges  [smiley=ok.gif]

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:10 pm

The worst thing is that they say they will charge my checking accounting 'not less than 21 days' after the notice, and then they take it out at some random time, and get stuck with a $25 overdraft fee....     stupid ebay

justybug

Post by justybug » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:42 am

seller also could have had some VERO issues or something. i got suspended for selling unprogrammed directv cards for awhile, i'm reasonably sure the only person complaining was someone else trying to sell similiar merchandise, or a card programming service of sorts. ebay has so many of these kinds of items being sold constantly, it just takes someone bringing it to the wrong persons attention to get your life a bit more complicated than necessary.
it happens. if there's no negative feedback i wouldn't worry about it.

Annorax

Post by Annorax » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:25 pm

You all talk of bad credit cards and Paypal problems and other Bad Thingsâ„¢.

It could also be possible that he forgot to pay his listing fees....

hammr7

Post by hammr7 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:45 pm

Listing fees are charged monthly against your credit card (which you needed to become an eBay member in the first place).  If your credit card goes bad (you cancel it, it goes over limit, OR it reaches the original expiration date - even if the card has been extended by the credit card company, but you haven't updated your eBay information) then eBay can't bill it.  Then they shut you down, even if it was an oversight on your part.

Of course, a favorite scam is to build a small feedback number with small transactions.  Then put a ton of more expensive auctions up.  Don't allow Paypal so people have to wait longer (for the mail, for checks to clear, etc.).  Then before the first feedbacks come in, de-register your account so no one can leave negative feedback.  That way no one gets on to the scam quickly, and the scammed people can't warn each other what is happening.

felagund

Post by felagund » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:42 pm

Thanks for opinions guys!

On a slightly unrelated topic: do you receive junk e-mails trying to trick you into giving them your account name, password & credit card? First time I received something like this I filled in all the data and I changed my mind before clicking OK since I remembered that Ebay won't ask for anything through e-mail. Anyone had problems with this?

pickle.69

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:45 pm

I get that stuff every now and then. i also got it for paypal twice or so. well just be carfull.

psrex

Post by psrex » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:58 pm

Ebay has a new feature under "My Ebay" that is entitled "My Messages".  It's Ebay's new way of communicating with you, and I suspect that its main purpose is to make the current phishing scams less viable.  Judging from the recent message there though, unless they stop sending their own self-promotions every couple days, no one will ever read their messages, as it's all junk.