Counterspell with a white mark on back under the blackborder

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

palaueb
Librarities Member

Counterspell with a white mark on back under the blackborder

Post by palaueb » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:09 pm

At the end of this list:

https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Products ... unterspell

is a counterspell with a rare misprint, what do you think about it? it's hand made?

there is the white area but the black border is over it.

It's worth it that prize?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:54 pm

It's legit, I've seen a few of those, some of them owned by members here.

I wouldn't want it at that price however, but that's just my preference.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:22 am

That seller is shooting for the moon. It's worth at best half that on it's best day.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:44 am

I also have seen several of these Counterspells. They went for arround 50 Euro each.
There are other cards with this error as well, i have a mirage card with half the back like this and i have seen another german ( mirage or tempest) card with almost the same back as this Counterspell.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 pm

What does cause such an error?

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:01 pm

Neuron wrote:What does cause such an error?
I bet its the way the sheets are transported (via some rolls) during the printing, where the rolls might cause such damage ( on not completely dry paint) and should be sorted out later. But some slipped through the QA control.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 pm

I guess the black borders are printed last?

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 pm

mmgun wrote:
Neuron wrote:What does cause such an error?
I bet its the way the sheets are transported (via some rolls) during the printing, where the rolls might cause such damage ( on not completely dry paint) and should be sorted out later. But some slipped through the QA control.
Interesting thought, now it's the question why ALL the ink is absent in the middle.

I guess the black borders are printed last?
Yes, the black borders are printed twice to become really black. The first time with the rest, the second time just there. This started between 1996 and 1997.

Appel

Post by Appel » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi all!

I am the owner/seller of that card. paulaueb and me were discussing about it a couple of days ago, so he made this topic for me. (Thanks palaueb!)

So I was a bit lurking around here, and now decided to register here on the forum, to join discussion here. (and other ones as well I hope ;) )

Magic61983 wrote:That seller is shooting for the moon. It's worth at best half that on it's best day.
I ofc know the €999,00 price is not a realistic one, that's why I added in the comments line that people should contact me to make an offer. ;)

So I set it at such high price so it would stand out a bit, and that nobody steals it for a to low price, because I had no clue what it was worth!
I was hoping some people would make me some offers, and then with that knowledge knowing what people are willing to give for it, it would help me in further negotiations regarding a more realistic price. ;)

Hearing you say it is at best worth half of that, is ofc incredible great news to hear! (I already changed the price on MCM now to 500 euro)
mmgun wrote:I also have seen several of these Counterspells. They went for arround 50 Euro each.
There are other cards with this error as well, i have a mirage card with half the back like this and i have seen another german ( mirage or tempest) card with almost the same back as this Counterspell.
Ok... Cancels the private dancers, the beer keg, and the clown and the magician I planned for the party... That's a big difference in price compared to what Magic61983 had in mind... Ah well, we will see, I might put it on Ebay one day.

Just a general question, why is the gap between both estimates so large?
Is the market for misprinted cards like these really so small that prices can only go up if the correct bidder shows up and really wants it? I am sure that if rarity is a factor then that must add up in any estimate for such cards, since there obviously close to unique.

By the way, for those who might be interested, the card is close to mint condition.

If any of you have more information regarding the potential value, or about the origins of this card, please leave a comment below. I could use all the information I can get. :)

Anyway, I thank you all for your already given, and future feedback in this topic, I highly appreciate it!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Appel wrote:Hi all!

I am the owner/seller of that card. paulaueb and me were discussing about it a couple of days ago, so he made this topic for me. (Thanks palaueb!)

So I was a bit lurking around here, and now decided to register here on the forum, to join discussion here. (and other ones as well I hope ;) )

Magic61983 wrote:That seller is shooting for the moon. It's worth at best half that on it's best day.
I ofc know the €999,00 price is not a realistic one, that's why I added in the comments line that people should contact me to make an offer. ;)

So I set it at such high price so it would stand out a bit, and that nobody steals it for a to low price, because I had no clue what it was worth!
I was hoping some people would make me some offers, and then with that knowledge knowing what people are willing to give for it, it would help me in further negotiations regarding a more realistic price. ;)

Hearing you say it is at best worth half of that, is ofc incredible great news to hear! (I already changed the price on MCM now to 500 euro)
mmgun wrote:I also have seen several of these Counterspells. They went for arround 50 Euro each.
Ok... Cancels the private dancers, the beer keg, and the clown and the magician I planned for the party... That's a big difference in price compared to what Magic61983 had in mind... Ah well, we will see, I might put it on Ebay one day.

Just a general question, why is the gap between both estimates so large?
Is the market for misprinted cards like these really so small that prices can only go up if the correct bidder shows up and really wants it? I am sure that if rarity is a factor then that must add up in any estimate for such cards, since there obviously close to unique.

By the way, for those who might be interested, the card is close to mint condition.

If any of you have more information regarding the potential value, or about the origins of this card, please leave a comment below. I could use all the information I can get. :)

Anyway, I thank you all for your already given, and future feedback in this topic, I highly appreciate it!
Hi Appel and welcome

There's no fixed prices for Misprints and it's all about what a Player/Collector is willing to pay. The Mint condition is a plus of course, regarding the origins, basically a "Something went wrong " at the printing facility.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.