411 Beta Artist Proofs and 7 Original Arts for $12k?

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

411 Beta Artist Proofs and 7 Original Arts for $12k?

Post by berkumps » Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Assuming it's legit, is this a good price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc

Of course, after reading the description, all I could think was "D.Chang strikes again!"

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Wed May 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Yeah, I noticed that a while back too. I'm sure Dan will break it up and offer anything out of it that you'd like... if you're willing to pay :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed May 09, 2012 2:21 pm

I'd love getting the Giant Growth original Art... However, I guess he will charge a lot for the painting... Isn't it?

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:I'd love getting the Giant Growth original Art... However, I guess he will charge a lot for the painting... Isn't it?
Prolly $12k for it.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm

For $12k he can keep it, I won't fight a price like that. Let's see ow much he ask...

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed May 09, 2012 3:26 pm

thulnanth wrote:Yeah, I noticed that a while back too. I'm sure Dan will break it up and offer anything out of it that you'd like... if you're willing to pay :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Actually, I refuse to buy anything from him from now on (not that I bought anything from him in the past).

Here's why:

I contacted Dan Frazier about purchasing some artist proofs (mainly unhinged, but some others). Dan said that I should contact D.Chang as he has all of his remaining artist proofs, and I should go through him. My first thought was, "oh great, I have to deal with this guy". So I emailed him asking about the proofs, and he said he should have them, just has to sort through alot of proofs to find them. Ok, that's reasonable.

The next day, I get a LinkedIn request from him asking me to add him to his professional network. I don't have a LinkedIn account, so he wasn't added. 4 days later I get another request, again, no account, so I didn't add him. 6 days after that I get yet another request, still he's not added (maybe because I don't have a LinkedIn account?). The day after the 3rd request went unaccepted, I get an email saying he's looked for the proofs but cannot find them.

What that says to me? "Since you aren't willing to take the time to accept my invitation to be added to my professional network (and pad my LinkedIn rating), I'm not willing to look for a few artist proofs for you".

I shed a tear everytime another artist decides to deal through him. :-(

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu May 10, 2012 3:41 am

I opened up a LinkedIn account just to accept these invitations. Not sure what they expect me to do with them.

Same reason I have a facebook account, I kept getting requests from actual friends and I didn't want to say No to them in case I hurt their feelings.

I think I have about 30 people on there who I never talk to but hey! I didn't reject their electronic friendship request so we are all good!

I think I did one update on my status to let people know we were not affected by the floods in Australia and I got half a dozen likes! Not done that again.

The only thing it is good for is allowing my new friends to see what an idiot I used to be thanks to my old friends putting up pictures of me being an idiot.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 am

I am in negotiations with him. Unfortunately, I've never priced an MTG piece of art. What do you guys think an original MTG art like that can be valued? What's the price of an Alpha art? It depends on the artist or how much recogniceable is the card? There are some Alpha illus. In sale on the secondary market in a range of 2000$, but aren't getting sold...

I need your help and XP here.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Thu May 10, 2012 11:59 am

CHaPuZaS wrote:I am in negotiations with him. Unfortunately, I've never priced an MTG piece of art. What do you guys think an original MTG art like that can be valued? What's the price of an Alpha art? It depends on the artist or how much recogniceable is the card? There are some Alpha illus. In sale on the secondary market in a range of 2000$, but aren't getting sold...

I need your help and XP here.
When I was interested in Everingham's Drudge Skeletons original art, I was dealing with a guy for artist proofs that knew her, and he told me she was fond of the art, and that any offer below $1200 wouldn't even interest her. Presumably she wasn't as fond of the Giant Growth considering she no longer has it, therefore I would peg the price <$1200. That's the price directly from the artist, so there's bound to be some sort of markup, but that markup is highly dependent on who's selling it. I wouldn't go higher than $1k for the GG art, but art is so subjective, there may be someone who's willing to pay whatever to have it (which Daniel likes to capitalize on).

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu May 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Is D. Chang a seller like Tony Manion ?

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Is D. Chang a seller like Tony Manion ?
No

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Is D. Chang a seller like Tony Manion ?
No, Tony is one of the good guys!

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu May 10, 2012 1:27 pm

So who's that guy ?

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu May 10, 2012 1:49 pm

berkumps wrote:
CHaPuZaS wrote:I wouldn't go higher than $1k for the GG art, but art is so subjective, there may be someone who's willing to pay whatever to have it (which Daniel likes to capitalize on).
That's not even close to a third of what he is asking for the painting, which I think is a bit too much even though I want it. Also, paying a third of the whole auction price for one of the 7 pieces of art (Not to have into account the 400 proofs) seems to be a little unfair...

I want it, but I think I will have to let it go for that price...

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:Also, paying a third of the whole auction price for one of the 7 pieces of art (Not to have into account the 400 proofs) seems to be a little unfair...
Yeah it is, and there is the sinkhole painting, which will be listed on ebay for some quadzillions by Mr Chang.