411 Beta Artist Proofs and 7 Original Arts for $12k?

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:That's not even close to a third of what he is asking for the painting...
The guy is a clown. A greedy, mercenary clown.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu May 10, 2012 2:11 pm

I know the Evil Presence art was on eBay directly from the artist a while back for $300. I did consider it, but eventually decided not to buy. The bottom line for me was that although it was art from the original MtG set, I just didn't like the piece (no offense).

I did ask Mr. Hoover about the original for Vesuvan Doppelganger, but he said he'd sold it long ago... :-(

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 pm

I think that the GG art was valued at about 800-1300 in that transaction. I work in an MTG store, and the first thing I know that has to be done is, if the buyer knows the price you have paid for something (This only works on premium items: Power9, alterations and the like) you have to be polite with the price.

Since the auction is public, asking for 300% or 400% its price is just too much for me, at least for me... I wanted it badly, I'm sad about the price, but I don't want to look like an idiot for paying that if people thinks its overpriced...

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:I think that the GG art was valued at about 800-1300 in that transaction. I work in an MTG store, and the first thing I know that has to be done is, if the buyer knows the price you have paid for something (This only works on premium items: Power9, alterations and the like) you have to be polite with the price.

Since the auction is public, asking for 300% or 400% its price is just too much for me, at least for me... I wanted it badly, I'm sad about the price, but I don't want to look like an idiot for paying that if people thinks its overpriced...
If you were to obtain the original alpha art for Giant Growth, would you eventually try to get the other arts aswell? Or do you only collect the alpha art version?

This is one thing that deterred me from offering on the Drudge Skeletons art, because I'm such a completionist, that I just know I'd eventually want the other arts aswell (and there's ~5 other ones).

I think the only time I'll go for an original art related to a global set, is if it's the only art for that card (like V.Doppelganger for example).

AbsolutAlphas
Librarities Hero

Post by AbsolutAlphas » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

notsofasteddie wrote:
magic-belgium wrote:Is D. Chang a seller like Tony Manion ?
No, Tony is one of the good guys!
<3 Tony

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu May 10, 2012 3:20 pm

I might try to get the others as well, but you know, the first is the first, and I'm also going for the global set.

I know that I will regret not having paid *whatever quantity* for it the moment it gots sold, but in the end, the money is the money, and if all people I'm asking thinks it's superoverpriced, then it must be. Maybe in the future, if it can't be sold for that much, he will lower the price.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, 12k for 411 Beta APs seems fair. Adding 5 Alpha originals and more seems just like a huge bonus.

No comments from me regarding individuals.

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Wed May 16, 2012 1:06 pm

I think that price was a steal for what he got, particularly if you pay attention to which 411 proofs were there. Alabuddha had been working on that forever. As far as original art prices, I notice Red Ward, a much less desirable piece than Giant Growth, recently sold for $2K. If he was going to sell that stuff so relatively cheaply on eBay, I really wish he had made a side deal like that with someone(s) on this forum instead of making it even harder for anyone in the world to get sets together/art on the walls/breath in their lungs by selling to Chang.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Wed May 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Well, one thing is certain, Mr. Chang does a good job in acquisition.

Best Regards,

Ari

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed May 16, 2012 1:57 pm

How can we contact him to buy stuff from him ?

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 pm

As I understand it, he's best contacted by going into an open field, pulling down one's pants, and bending over, aiming one's posterior at a spy satellite. Failing that, you could always look into a mirror and say "ebay video overkill" three times.. sometimes that summons him, I've heard.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed May 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Didn't he mean to contact Alabuddha?

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Wed May 16, 2012 8:37 pm

I don't delete emails, though it appears yahoo has started to do so for me. Fortunately, they seem to be using a 10-year deletion window, so I still have alabuddha's 2002 email address attached to one of his messages to me, but I tried it today and it bounced.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 pm

I send him a message via eBay but he didn't replied me...