Ice Age Playtest Cards

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Ice Age Playtest Cards

Post by ouallada » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:11 am

Hi all, was thinking of adding this to my collection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Play-test-D ... 3a72c7d8f2

I've dealt with most of the older playtest cards, but not Ice Age. Anyone have any idea of whether this looks legit? Thanks!

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:23 am

it's a photocopied piece of paper. There comes a time when you can only rely on the word of the person selling it

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 am

So does anyone know anything about this seller?

I emailed Gunslinga to ask about it, but didn't hear back in time. I've been wanting to pick up a playtest card, but I've been holding out for one that had some particular value to me (Benalish Hero anywhere?). Fyndhorn Elves is one I would really like to have had, but somebody bought it while I was still wondering about its authenticity. It seems like there have been an awful lot of playtest cards auctioned recently.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:38 pm

gzeiger wrote:So does anyone know anything about this seller?

I emailed Gunslinga to ask about it, but didn't hear back in time. I've been wanting to pick up a playtest card, but I've been holding out for one that had some particular value to me (Benalish Hero anywhere?). Fyndhorn Elves is one I would really like to have had, but somebody bought it while I was still wondering about its authenticity. It seems like there have been an awful lot of playtest cards auctioned recently.
I do not know the seller, sorry. A word of caution though. Even though there were "play test" cards for Ice Age that were quite early, as it was in design before or at the same time as Arabian Nights, there is room for question about anything that is simply printed on paper.

Contact the seller and request support for it's authentisity.

Gary

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Well, it already sold, so too late for me on that one. It just didn't feel right though.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:26 pm

gzeiger wrote:Well, it already sold, so too late for me on that one. It just didn't feel right though.
"feel right" is important but remember, if you get one on "you know where" there will be no way in the future to prove to anyone that it is real.

Gary

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Well, it wasn't really expensive enough for me to feel like I need to prove that. I can't really imagine trying to resell it.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 am

I've seen 3 versions of IA playtest cards- the old school tiny pieces of paper, the white ones like these, and the sticker type. Seems a bit odd to span THAT much playtesting.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Sun May 13, 2012 2:52 am

For what it's worth, I contacted this seller about the time of the last post in this thread, and came away fairly convinced that they are fake. He seems to be a hobo posting from a stolen smartphone. Not literally, but he only spelled about 40% of his words right and the story behind the cards wasn't much more than "i have this frend who used to knoe richurd garfeeld."