preliminary sketch authentic?

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

preliminary sketch authentic?

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:01 am

can anyone tell me if this is a legit item?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

the seller says it is a preliminary sketch for an Ice Age card... is this how the card art is/was submitted during the Ice Age period (kind of like putting in a bid to do the card's art?), or is this just a nice sketch from the seller of the card?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:45 am

Preliminary sketches were required for all card art at that time. It might still be, although I think it's almost done completely digitally now.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:29 am

the sketch thing makes sense to me, but I still want to know if the item for auction meets/matches the format/criteria/requirements for the sketch submissions of the Ice Age cards. and even if it meets/matches, how can I be 100% sure in the legitimacy/authenticity of the ebay item?

Honestly though, if it's the real deal, I'd LOVE to add it to my collection.

please, if anyone knows, let me know if the auction item could be or even likely is the real thing.

Also, how would one originally acquire a sketch? from WOTC? or the artist? A WOTC employee that got a stack of sketches after the cards had gone to print?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 am

I don't know if there's any good way to know for sure if it's legit. Some of the sketches I've seen have personal information for the artist on them like address and phone number. You would get them from the artist originally. WOTC returns sketches after they're done with them.

The one I have is also on regular 8.5 x 11 paper, and is just a quick pencil sketch like this one.

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:36 am

It certainly looks legitimate to me. I purchased directly from Melissa three sketches for Kiss of Death plus the original painting and a recreation of one of the sketches that was rejected. My sketches look similar to the one up for auction. If you go to melissabenson.com you can see sketches and original art that she has for sale. You will note that sketches that she has left go for $15.00 - $20.00. My art from Melissa came with certificates of authenticity. You could ask the seller if one is included.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Late now, but next time something like this comes up it seems like contacting the artist and asking would be the first thing I'd try.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:04 pm

yeah, I did consider doing that, but decided not to. if Melissa Benson was still doing MTG card art I'd ask her for a sketch after it had been used, but I don't want one bad enough to buy it 2nd hand.