Original Art Juzam Djinn!!!!

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Super_Morphling wrote:............Try not to be too mean. "
I did not take anything here to be mean. Shocked, appalled, disgusted, turned off, wishful yes. "mean" no.

I have seen auctions like this where one wonders if it is for real or if the person is really trying to announce to the world "Look at what I have--eat your heart out". I have seen more than one item with an unrealistic price on both "you know where" and even in stores (may I mention pawn shops) that smacked much more of "bragging rights" than a serious offer.

Another consideration is that by placing the price so very high the seller might get one of those side offers for a very nice sum that would be higher than if he had offered it for 10K (not implying that any "you know where" sellers would EVER take a side offer.....).

I rack the whole thing up to being worth a good laugh.

Gary

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Personally I'd consider Library of Alexandria as the iconic art from Arabian Nights if I really had to select one from that set. I seem to come across it every day (just check the top of this page :-P )

Granted Juzam Djinn is still fascinating, but hardly at that price

ANALOG_KID
Legendary MTG Art Collector

Post by ANALOG_KID » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Interestingly enough is that the Juzam seller is also offering the original for Savannah for 20K.
Begin the day with a friendly voice...

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Savannah is a landscape; I can't imagine paying over 400-500 for it, although I'm sure it would sell for at least 1-2k.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:28 am

Landscape paintings sell for incredible $$$ as well...

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 pm

random wrote:Landscape paintings sell for incredible $$$ as well...
Yeah, the landscapes always move quickly and sell at a premium.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:
Except apparently for Savannah (and the 2 Alpha Plains art which have been listed forever)

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:18 pm

l0qii wrote:
ritnecrowin wrote:
Except apparently for Savannah (and the 2 Alpha Plains art which have been listed forever)
IMO, it's a boring landscape and not a staple in many decks, so I can understand why.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Magic ones, though? You want a Magic painting because either it's your favorite card or it looks awesome on your wall, and I don't see Savannah fitting either of those.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:
Magic ones, though? You want a Magic painting because either it's your favorite card or it looks awesome on your wall, and I don't see Savannah fitting either of those.
Most of the landscapes move quickly because they are neutral... meaning a lot of Magic players that can afford art are married and their spouses don't want fantasy art hanging in the home. - Randy Gallegos and I had a long talk about this at Illuxcon, Ironicly.

Savannah is VERY boring and the price tag is INSANE.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:20 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:When I think of Magic there are only a few images that come to my mind immediatly:

Black Lotus - no idea of it's where abouts
It is in the hands of a privet collector (not me). It has not and probably will not be put up for sale. The owner is not interested in dickering over it but if someone is SERIOUSLY interested and has an offer in mind he will consider it. PM me and we will talk about it.

Gary

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 am

"Magic ones, though? You want a Magic painting because either it's your favorite card or it looks awesome on your wall, and I don't see Savannah fitting either of those."

I was generalizing. They are neutral which someone mentioned and gender neutrality is good thing in a lot of relationships.
I don't think much MTG artwork looks "awesome" on my walls and having to unload all of it but for 1 piece. It just doesn't hold up to genre book covers and TSR paintings. I have lost faith in MTG artwork and any long term investment viability.

Randy Gallegos is a cool guy ritnecrowin! I think his work is actually very female friendly (in a good way) and commissioned him before. Really nice artist.

Gary, I doubt anyone will ever pony up the dough a "serious" offer will entail from the owner of that painting. Please LMK if it happens though!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:47 am

random wrote:Gary, I doubt anyone will ever pony up the dough a "serious" offer will entail from the owner of that painting. Please LMK if it happens though!
uh, ok, I'll try and remember that, and if I'm still alive when it happens I'll drop you a line....<grin>.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Thu May 06, 2010 10:23 am

Gary, any ideas on the whereabouts of the Original Erhnam Djinn art? I have been looking high and low since 2000 with NO luck....

Gunslinga found me the Beatdown Erhnam(thanks again!)....I found Kird Ape through Ken Meyer, now hangs on my wall.....would love to find Berserk....or Taiga.....never had any luck finding the Greg Staples Erhnam art either...

Someone on here has Horrible Hordes, but will not sell it...!!

Honestly, for the Original Erhnam....I would pay well over what its worth, and maybe even a night with my wife!:P

And the price on the Juzam is nuts. The lotus would not even crack 50k....and I would consider that the most expensive art ever for an MTG card....

Later EddieO

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Thu May 06, 2010 11:25 am

Still wish I had bought the original Lotus art back in 94 or 95 when it was offered to me for $5K.......... Guessing I was too busy stashing away all the Alpha rares I could find and thought the cash could be put to better use. ](*,) DOH!

Eddie, you likely remember the guy who had it, 20ish kid by the name of Mike Devaney, aka Spikey Mike. Always used to visit the Wotc Gamecenter and wore a leather duster jacket and leather hat regardless of the weather.

Oh well, opportunities lost....
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!