What's the deal with Ebaay?

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Grapes17
Librarities Hero

Post by Grapes17 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:59 am

dragsamou wrote:The last example:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5300
We are glad that this Member offer them on the Magiclibrarities forum,but why does he needs to mention that they are on Baybay right now?
So that people can go look them up and buy them if they want? Perhaps to let people know that he is actively trying to sell them and that now is the time to act?

I still don't quite get why you are sick of hearing about the bay? I know it is mentioned a lot, but it is a huge resource of misprints. And like people before me have said, you can't catch everything yourself. It is really cool when someone stumbles upon something on the bay, posts it here, and then the entire rarities community can be aware of this cool new find. Sure people self advertising could get annoying, and that could be dealt with separately, but banning the word just seems childish.

That's just my 2 cents, but you are the site owner, so do as you wish.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:41 am

Grapes17 wrote:
dragsamou wrote:The last example:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5300
We are glad that this Member offer them on the Magiclibrarities forum,but why does he needs to mention that they are on Baybay right now?
So that people can go look them up and buy them if they want? Perhaps to let people know that he is actively trying to sell them and that now is the time to act?

I still don't quite get why you are sick of hearing about the bay? I know it is mentioned a lot, but it is a huge resource of misprints. And like people before me have said, you can't catch everything yourself. It is really cool when someone stumbles upon something on the bay, posts it here, and then the entire rarities community can be aware of this cool new find. Sure people self advertising could get annoying, and that could be dealt with separately, but banning the word just seems childish.

That's just my 2 cents, but you are the site owner, so do as you wish.
Hi.
So,the only point of some Members to come to this forum is it to sell stuff on Baybay and use that forum to advertize?
I'm sick also to repeat things,I'm a Baybay User and Huge buyer,I go there everyday whenever I have time,and lately Website updates and personal life,doesn't even allow me to take care of my own collection or trades going on.Can you believe also that some Members can be upset,when they saw something on Baybay,that few people have remarked for different reasons and that after they have to fight with the all world to bought it.Example:One misprint was advertized here and went for 169$,roughly the same one then was sold for 11$.
One more time,the Auction site report is aimed for that,what's the difference,the word baybay has been changed to Auction site,yeah what a Terrible problem,so much suffering.And one more time,I repeat,this website is Not a Commercial site or a place to advertize from any companies at the moment.Maybe one day,a Sponsor with banner will come here,pay for advertisements and you know what,the First thing,he will request is no more Baybay advertising.Now,you can wrote a letter to Baybay,and mention that there's a Great website where it will be cool for them to advertize,and tell them to wrote me a Huge check,with the money they have it shouldn't be a problem,for the moment I'm the one spending money on Baybay,and this for years and I do not complain about it.
Hope it's clear,because the time I spent answering to this,it's time that I do not spent working on Magiclibrarities or for myself,and on my part,my main concern is this Website not the ones of the others.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:17 am

I first registered to Ebay in December 1998. And used it ever since. Don't make presumptions about people you don't know (yet).

You sometimes can be wrong.

I'm sure you would be a fantastic person if you were a bit less arrogant and self-confident. What some people call "being difficult personality".

You do a fantastic job (not leaking anyone's a.. here) on this website, but the way you are talking to people on the board and in emails (not only to me) is fading part of this great action. I read some posts here that amazed me.

The collectors here live AROUND you. The fact that you have a pretty nice collection should be enough proud for you.

Sans rancune (vraiment) mais t'as pas besoin d'en faire autant pour prouver que tu es un mec intéressant.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:36 am

magic-belgium wrote:I first registered to Auction Site in December 1998. And used it ever since. Don't make presumptions about people you don't know (yet).

You sometimes can be wrong.

I'm sure you would be a fantastic person if you were a bit less arrogant and self-confident. What some people call "being difficult personality".

You do a fantastic job (not leaking anyone's a.. here) on this website, but the way you are talking to people on the board and in emails (not only to me) is fading part of this great action. I read some posts here that amazed me.

The collectors here live AROUND you. The fact that you have a pretty nice collection should be enough proud for you.

Sans rancune (vraiment) mais t'as pas besoin d'en faire autant pour prouver que tu es un mec intéressant.
You know what First learn to read:
Baybay is part of my life probably from longer times than you
Did you join this website to pretend acting as a Shrink with Me?
That I know of,I always answer correctly and politely to your E-mails and regarding others as you seem to be in the confidence,they should talk to me first,whenever I have a problem with someone,I do not talk to my neighboor as a primary step,question of education,I guess.Regarding your last sentence in French,I have nothing to proove to anyone,I just wish that some Members will be more concerned by the website than mainly thinking about themselves or Baybay or anything else,but that's an old issue,Ralph was thinking exactely the same,14 pages of Members now and how many are Really doing something to help the website on one way or another?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:06 am

As a moderator: private issues should solved by pm's. And do not insult others please, it's not good for the community.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

IMO

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:43 am

pp wrote:As a moderator: private issues should solved by pm's. And do not insult others please, it's not good for the community.
I also would suggest to delete the topic, I understand that some members love the Ebay links (sometimes me too honestly, by the way I missed the 11$ misprint of the False Prophet for 2 seconds ](*,) ), but if 50% of the new posts are in the Ebay section it really gets a touch of a commercial site and that is not the reason (I hope) why we are all here. We're part of a community that has other goals and attitudes as Ebay. I must admit I sell a lot on Ebay, but if someone on the Forum needs a card that I have as a spare, I'll rather send it to him for the price I bought it or for free (at least 2 members can confirm that) than selling it on Ebay, also I received cards from members without having to pay for them (although I wanted to). I'm not the Salvation Army, but you know if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours :wink: This is the proof to me, that this site is something special and should stay something SPECIAL and if it takes to censor the word €bay, go ahead.
Chris

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:30 am

I don't think I insulted anyone (if pp's post was for me). Just expressed my opinion.

This conversation could last forever. Using Baybay instead of Eebay doesn't change much of anything. Mentioning Baybay does not make any advertisement anyway, the whole planet knows it.

I did not come to the forum to focus my posts against anyone. I just expressed an opinion, but was answered by one person only. So I answer the person who answers me.

I would have really liked to help the website whether technically or with scans or others (yes, I knew there are many specifications regarding scans, that's why I appreciate this site also). Someone who does not show out his collection on forums may nevertheless have some interesting items to add to this website.

Regards,

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:44 am

magic-belgium wrote:I don't think I insulted anyone (if pp's post was for me). Just expressed my opinion.

I believe pp adressed dragsamou.

pp

Re: IMO

Post by pp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:03 pm

but if 50% of the new posts are in the Auction Site section it really gets a touch of a commercial site and that is not the reason (I hope) why we are all here.
I do not understand the problem, that's why there is a category "Auction Site Reports". If somebody is not interested he should not click there, he will not even see that there are 50% of posts. And if there is a technical problem regarding db-size: there is a function called autopruning which deletes posts after a certain time, put it to 3 months, voila.

I understand the problem of promotion and the idea behind all this. But censoring goes one step to far.

Also there should be a strikt separation between board and site. The magiclibrary homepage will not get commercial because there a €bay links inside of the forum?!

Patrick

pp

Post by pp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:05 pm

ende73 wrote:
magic-belgium wrote:I don't think I insulted anyone (if pp's post was for me). Just expressed my opinion.
I believe pp adressed dragsamou.
No it was not adessed, i saw insulting on both sides. I think i don't need to repeat them, we don't want to blow the coals.

Opinions can be expressed, but stick to facts, no defamation please.

(...or i will do what my avatar does, haha :-p )

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

€bay

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:20 pm

pp wrote:I do not understand the problem, that's why there is a category "Auction Site Reports". If somebody is not interested he should not click there, he will not even see that there are 50% of posts.
I agree, that's the reason why I wrote "...a touch of...", maybe I should have written a touch of promotional site instead of commercial site though.
pp wrote:(...or i will do what my avatar does, haha :-p )
LOL

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:00 pm

that raises a good question...what the heck is your avatar doing?

pp

Post by pp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:12 pm

dry cereal wrote:that raises a good question...what the heck is your avatar doing?
he's writing tickets

k005342
Librarities Member

Post by k005342 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:49 pm

equi-nox76 wrote:
pp wrote:As a moderator: private issues should solved by pm's. And do not insult others please, it's not good for the community.
I also would suggest to delete the topic, I understand that some members love the Auction Site links (sometimes me too honestly, by the way I missed the 11$ misprint of the False Prophet for 2 seconds ](*,) ), but if 50% of the new posts are in the Auction Site section it really gets a touch of a commercial site and that is not the reason (I hope) why we are all here. We're part of a community that has other goals and attitudes as Auction Site. I must admit I sell a lot on Auction Site, but if someone on the Forum needs a card that I have as a spare, I'll rather send it to him for the price I bought it or for free (at least 2 members can confirm that) than selling it on Auction Site, also I received cards from members without having to pay for them (although I wanted to). I'm not the Salvation Army, but you know if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours :wink: This is the proof to me, that this site is something special and should stay something SPECIAL and if it takes to censor the word €bay, go ahead.
Chris
I agree with your vision of this community, and that's why i joined it.
Chris

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:55 pm

k005342 wrote:
equi-nox76 wrote:
I also would suggest to delete the topic, I understand that some members love the Auction Site links (sometimes me too honestly, by the way I missed the 11$ misprint of the False Prophet for 2 seconds ](*,) ), but if 50% of the new posts are in the Auction Site section it really gets a touch of a commercial site and that is not the reason (I hope) why we are all here. We're part of a community that has other goals and attitudes as Auction Site. I must admit I sell a lot on Auction Site, but if someone on the Forum needs a card that I have as a spare, I'll rather send it to him for the price I bought it or for free (at least 2 members can confirm that) than selling it on Auction Site, also I received cards from members without having to pay for them (although I wanted to). I'm not the Salvation Army, but you know if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours :wink: This is the proof to me, that this site is something special and should stay something SPECIAL and if it takes to censor the word €bay, go ahead.
Chris
I agree with your vision of this community, and that's why i joined it.
Chris
Hi.
I'm glad that at least 2 Members have the same vision as I do,and I will not judge the others that doesn't have the same one,but maybe there will others forums better for them.One last thing,for those who want to play the silly game to change Auction Site by different names,and I do not wish to add a New word each time in the censor control and up to the time that Rules are not definately fixed and talked about with the Moderators Team as a result Posting and PM function will be desactivate Immediately.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.