culling of inactive members part 1

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Thrond
Librarities Legend

Post by Thrond » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:09 pm

First, why do you want to clean the member list? Is this due to a technical (or hosting) problem?

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:13 pm

dragsamou: Yes, this is not a bug. It is a legacy carried over from the old YaBB forum. On the old forum, the post counter did not go down if a post was deleted by a moderator. In this forum, it does. I plan to correct all post counters once the inactive member task is handled.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:25 pm

Thrond: No, it is not because of a technical problem. It is simply to keep this forum tidy. The number of registered members is severly misleading how big this community really is. I also believe that reducing the number of members will have some beneficial effects, like attracting less spammers, less inactive members, and less members who just join for monetary reasons without any real interest in this community. I have wanted to do this for a long time, but it really made sense to wait until all obsolete and useless posts were banished.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:05 am

Ralph Herold wrote:TerraFrost: Thanks for the hint. Applying this MOD will cause trouble, however, as it is said not to be compatible with the latest board software version (which I use).
It actually is compatable. The fact that the thread title says 2.0.11 does not mean that this MOD only works on 2.0.11 - it means that the phpBB MOD Team only validated* this MOD on phpBB 2.0.11. Installing the MOD is actually really easy. You only modifiy one file - lang_admin.php. The rest of the files are just copied into place.

*A validated MOD is one that has been subjected to a security audit and quality assurance tests on a particular version of phpBB. To test old MODs on new versions of phpBB as they are released is something that would, quite simply, take way too much time to be worthwhile.

edit: I created a user 'pp' on one of my own phpBB's and didn't have any problems looking up posts.

The URL I used is as follows:

http://www.domain.tld/phpBB/search.php?search_author=pp

I tried it on this board and it does indeed not work. This makes me wonder if you've perhaps installed any MODs, already... It's also possible that an update was misapplied... *shrugs*

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:09 pm

alexis,
the
AA account you created is being shown as a quest.
So not a registered member
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:48 pm

TerraFrost: Interesting. I have no idea why searching for two character names works in your forum but not in this one. Maybe this is another of these mysterious quirks of the search engine. I have not installed any MODs. Upgrading is a simple task, but I can not rule out that something went wrong.

Speaking of MODs, I am overall very sceptical to add any unless absolutely necessary. It is usually just a matter of time before they conflict with a board software update (I learned this the hard way with the old forum software), and since I have no expertise in PHP, I can not develop a fix myself. That being said, I might use a MOD temporarily to get a certain job done. I will look into that once the time is up.

AXIOS: Members AA and AAA were test accounts by me and dragsamou. They have been deleted in the meanwhile. I have not deleted their posts, however, in order to keep the thread intact.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:10 pm

The first round of culling has been completed. The next round will take place some time in June.

johndoe1961

Business help in China

Post by johndoe1961 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I am new at this and I'd ask someone to help me with advice. I applied as recruiter manager at JobQueen, they promise to pay $87,000.00/year. I would like to know if they are for real and if they are how can I get quality sales reps in China. I didn't list the domain because promoting something is forbiden in most forums. So if you want to help me out please contact me direct at my email:
kimwongshu@yahoo.com

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:25 pm

2 posts for johndoe1961 and both spam. His "website" is the site he is spamming on.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:02 pm

mintcollector wrote:2 posts for johndoe1961 and both spam. His "website" is the site he is spamming on.
Hi Mike.
Out of the last 5 Members who joined....4 Are Spammers ;-D
IKEAgiftcenter
johndoe1957
acyclovir21
Java
EDIT:Add Police75
Last edited by dragsamou on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:29 pm

I guess this means we are both popular and special!

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:38 am

After upgrading the board software to 2.0.20, the problem of finding members with very short names seems to have been fixed. I have therefore reverted all affected names.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:04 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:After upgrading the board software to 2.0.20, the problem of finding members with very short names seems to have been fixed. I have therefore reverted all affected names.
I have a short nam :(

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Mr.C: Not short enough. Affected had been all names consisting of less than three characters.