Purpose of the Ebay Report section

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Should ebay auctions started by members be posted in the forums?

Yes, in the Ebay Reports forum.
79%
Yes, in the respective Trading forum.
16%
No.
5%

Total votes: 19

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Purpose of the Ebay Report section

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:32 am

Dear members,

dragsamou had brought up some controversial aspects of the rather new Ebay Report forum and started a few polls. While the polls have helped to point out some tendencies, the whole topic has been abandoned without a sufficient outcome, so I wish to resuscitate it. A few points are already decided:

1. The Ebay Reports forum is limited to the reports of Magic-related auctions. Reports of other auctions belong into the Off-Topic section. The description text of the Ebay Report forum already reflects this.

2. Reports of auctions about rare or interesting Magic items (with the exception of newly released items) or ebay scam alerts of any kind definitely belong into the Ebay Reports forum, as it was created to provide a home for these types of posts in the first place.

The only remaining problematic part I see at the moment is what to do with ebay auctions started by members themselves. Should they be posted at all? If so, should they be placed in the Ebay Reports forum or rather in the Standard Magic Products or Promotional, Misprinted, and Unofficial Magic Items forums respectively? I have started a poll to find out which option you prefer. Nonetheless, I highly welcome spelled out opinions and their reasoning.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:14 pm

I find it interesting seeing auction items posted. In some cases new or rare items can pop up as you pointed out. In the case of a member posting their own auctions, then I am for it. The reason is that I personally don't have time to be searching for every possible thing I might be interested in at the right price and only actively search out a few things at once. In fact, it is rare I do have time to read the "trading" sections of the forum at all, and most often skip over that area. I think as long as people adhere to the rules of what can or should be posted, then this should be not an issue. I am mostly indifferent where the auctions are posted, but I think sticking them in the eBay section seems most prudent as they are eBay items after all.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:10 am

I think that there is little to no reason to even deal with ebay amungst ourselves. Most deals between members have worked out well. Why bring in outside sources to complicate matters? I would prefer to offer stuff to members first and then when no takers are found, go to ebay there after. I have posted several items over time here and would be much happier to help other members fill holes in their collections than to some stranger.

So, I would say that there is no real need to post auctions from members. Other wise, what is to stop Dan Bock, Gaming Jim, or me from just bombarding this site with thousands of auctions?

just a thought.

james

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:43 pm

Well, the overall participation is pitiful at best, but the matter has been decided.