New Cards Groups

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

How do you group the new cards coming out for CHAMPS and last year's Underworld Dreams?

Together
18%
Separate
45%
Undecided
9%
Don't care
27%

Total votes: 11

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

New Cards Groups

Post by mintcollector » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Well it is apparent that we are on the threshold of new card groups. The question is on how best to organize these new groups. What I am refering to is the 2HG prize end of last year of Underworld Dreams 1/1 M05 and the new CHAMPS cards. The new CHAMPS cards can be obtained from CHAMPS events, which will be held 3 times this year (Limited 2HG 3/18, Limited 6/24, and Standard 10/21). Now the question is, how do members consider grouping these cards? As a result, I created a poll to see what the popular thoughts are on this topic yet unaddressed.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:13 pm

The Champs cards will be given a new group, probably called Champs Promos. The Underworld Dreams card will also be given a category of its own. It has yet to be seen what exactly ties together the promo cards in this "M" group, so a name is not yet final. If I were to create the category today, I would call it Two-Headed-Giant Promos to be on the safe side. My guess is in the long term, it will be Multiplayer Promos, as more multiplayer formats will probably be introduced.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:29 pm

Yes, but the first CHAMPS cards is being given out for a Limited 2HG tourney. The multiplayer theory has already failed with the introduction of the CHAMPS program. My point to not only concerning how the website is structuring it, but mainly how people will store these cards in their collection. So I guess everyone will have a whole Ultra Pro page dedicated to the Underworld Dreams alone?

The hopes that the Multiplayer program would continue has gone to the wayside with the introduction of the CHAMPS program.

This can change, but running both programs in parallel does not seem to make sense since they are kicking off CHAMPS with 2HG. This is why CHAMPS is the successor, or next evolution of Multiplayer.

I personally plan to store these cards together, aka group, until I see otherwise.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:14 pm

It is possible that the "M" promo card series was a one-time incident. This remains to be seen. The new Champs promos are most likely not limited to 2HG events, given that Champs features other formats as well and the new code system of the two enhanced image promos emphasizes the Champs aspect, not the 2HG aspect of their distribution.

As far as binder organization is concerned, I guess most people will store it as a miscellaneous promo card along with a few others.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:38 pm

If you are like me, then all you need to know is when they are released. I tend to store promo cards in chronological order. While I will group a card series (i.e. 1 of 5 thru 5 of 5) together, I will do so based upon the initial release date of the first card. This chronological method eliminates most of the madness associated with the different releases.

Of course it helps that I tend to collect only English language cards, with the exception of the few non-English prerelease cards associated with English sets.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:It is possible that the "M" promo card series was a one-time incident. This remains to be seen. The new Champs promos are most likely not limited to 2HG events, given that Champs features other formats as well and the new code system of the two enhanced image promos emphasizes the Champs aspect, not the 2HG aspect of their distribution.

As far as binder organization is concerned, I guess most people will store it as a miscellaneous promo card along with a few others.
The CHAMPS promos are already not limited to 2HG. These cards are given out for the Limited 2HG on 3/18, a Limited event on 6/24, and a Standard on 10/21. My point was that if WOTC/DCI was giving out prizes for 2HG events, another M card series would have rose if this program were staying afloat. My point was that since CHAMPS kicks off with a sanctioned 2HG event, multiplayer is more than likely dead, having been superceeded by CHAMPS. You are right though, maybe putting it into Misc will be best.

Hank: I too keep chronological order, however, broken down by functional area. For example, I have a FNM section. I have an Arena section. I have a MPR section, etc. New cards are just added to the end of each section so there is no shifting of cards around and new ones can just added to the ends of each section. The problem with my system is that if a new area like Multiplayer or CHAMPS comes along, then I need a new page for storage.