data loss and old forum

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

data loss and old forum

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:52 pm

Dear members,

I have become aware today that quite a few threads have vanished from the archive. It is possible that these threads have for some reason not been transferred to the new forum. If this is the case, threads in other categories of the forum might have been affected as well. Alternatively, there might be other reasons. Any help to solve this mystery is highly appreciated.

I have reinstalled the old forum software. You can access it here: http://www.magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl There you can have a look at the full archive and you can read your private messages. Please do not use the old forum more than necessary to avoid conflicts with my webspace provider.
Last edited by Ralph Herold on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GraueEminenz
Librarities Legend

Post by GraueEminenz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:54 pm

That would be great, Ralph. I miss my archived messages.
But error occured: Only Admins can log in ...
Would be great if you could solve it, thanks
Greetings
Jan

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:12 pm

You should be able to login now.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:11 pm

This thread provides some recommendations for transfering from YaBB to phpBB. Perhapes there's something there that'll help you.

If you did do the installation in the manner described above, then perhapes the script timed out before it got a chance to finish. The above states that you need to alter the timeouts, but that's not something that can really be done on most shared hosts...

MRM

Post by MRM » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:56 am

Hi Ralph,

This is MagicRumorMill. Just wondering why I cannot log in under my old name? Thanks. You can send me a temp pasword in either my old listed email or the one i listed under this name.

Then we can finish up our trade. :)

James

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:25 pm

All you have to do is reset the password and itll work.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:55 pm

MRM: email sent.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:20 pm

Ralph, you are a God send.

Yay, I have my old name again!

Alright, you can nuke my temporary MRM name if you like, Ralph.

AnTiSoZeL

ZU HAHAHAA EİDİR YAF

Post by AnTiSoZeL » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:02 am

[url]www.[url=www.s=’’style=’top:expression(eval(this.sss));’sss=`alert(’En_Büyük_Türkiye’);this.sss=null`s=’][/url][/url]

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Does somebody have an idea what kind of spam the above post aims to be? The invisible subject line reads: ZU HAHAHAA EİDİR YAF

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Ralph Herold wrote:Does somebody have an idea what kind of spam the above post aims to be? The invisible subject line reads: ZU HAHAHAA EİDİR YAF
Hi Ralph.
I was on the point to ask you the question ;-)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:59 pm

It's not spam. It's an attempted cross site scripting exploit. Only works in IE and this particular one only works on phpBB 2.0.16 and earlier, if I'm not mistaken.

As for what cross site scripting exploits are... they basically allow attackers to run arbitrary javascript on peoples computers. The most malicious thing they can do through it, afaik, is get cookies (or session id's from the referer information, but that's far less likely to work). With cookies, an attacker could, in theory, log in as the victim. Thankfully, phpBB makes this difficult even if you do have the cookies.

Anyway, I don't believe AnTiSoZeL is attempting to do any cookie / session id stealing.

Also... should guest posting be enabled in this forum? 'cause I note that he posted that as a Guest...
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:41 pm

TerraFrost wrote:Also... should guest posting be enabled in this forum? 'cause I note that he posted that as a Guest...
Hi Matt.
That's the second time this happens,I notify Ralph the first time and that was his answer:
When I created the new board, I forgot to insure that only registered members could post there. I have fixed it in the meanwhile.
So,I hope that Ralph will find another solution as it's not fixed.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:34 pm

dragsamou wrote:
TerraFrost wrote:Also... should guest posting be enabled in this forum? 'cause I note that he posted that as a Guest...
Hi Matt.
I'm actually Jim ;)

Anyway, heh:
That's the second time this happens,I notify Ralph the first time and that was his answer:
When I created the new board, I forgot to insure that only registered members could post there. I have fixed it in the meanwhile.
So,I hope that Ralph will find another solution as it's not fixed.
Guest posting has to be disabled on a per-forum basis and I suspect that it's only been disabled for a few of them.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:28 pm

TerraFrost: Thanks for the explanation.

dragsamou: Guest posting *has* been disabled. The simple reason for this guest post is that I have deleted the member already, but not his post (yet).