Proposal: what changed?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

snarke
Librarities Member

Proposal: what changed?

Post by snarke » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:00 am

The front of the web site says that info about the Proposal card changed. So, what got updated?

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Re: Proposal: what changed?

Post by Archivist » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:58 am

Here's the original text:
One of the advantages of being the creator of Magic: the Gathering is that you get to make your own cards. Richard Garfield has used this privilege thrice, celebrating different aspects of his life.

Proposal is not a real card but a color copy stuck to a basic land. It was created to be given to girlfriend Lily Wu to propose marriage during a game of Magic. The legend goes that it took three games for him to draw the card. But when he finally played it, she accepted.

There are approximately 9 Proposals in existence. One of them was given to Quinton Hoover, who created the artwork, but was stolen off the table at a convention in Tokyo in 1999 and never reappeared. The other cards are kept in privacy, as Richard Garfield does not want images of this card to appear in public.

Splendid Genesis and Fraternal Exaltation were created to commemorate the births of Richard's and Lily's children. These cards were included in the birth announcements sent to their friends. Additional copies were distributed to Wizards of the Coast employees. It is estimated that one sheet of Splendid Genesis cards and two sheets of Fraternal Exaltation cards were printed, indicating 110 copies of the former card and and 220 copies of the latter card to exist.

The first birth announcement came with a glossy sticker of the Spendid Genesis card glued on the front.
Seems like he incorporated some of the background you provided (even documenting that you own one).
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

snarke
Librarities Member

Post by snarke » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:22 am

Good heavens. I hadn't realized that he hadn't made those changes until now. :)

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:51 pm

snarke: I am currently working through my open emails and the new information about the Proposal card you provided a few months ago had not been added yet.

motorcitymagic: The information that snarke has one copy of this card is not a secret. He added this information to his ebay auctions. By the way, why do you archive my website?

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:54 pm

By the way, why do you archive my website?
There's no need to archive the website.  He likely went here:

http://www.waybackmachine.org/

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:08 pm

motorcitymagic: The information that snarke has one copy of this card is not a secret. He added this information to his ebay auctions. By the way, why do you archive my website?
I didn't mean to imply that you did something wrong or that you divulged some secret... of course it's open knowledge (http://grandfenwick.net/dave/mtg/Proposal.html).  I posted the previous text just to be helpful.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:32 pm

motorcitymagic: I had no disrespect implied, so I am sorry if you felt that way. I just wanted to clarify the issue for other readers.

General note: Things will speed up again in August, when I will be done with my exams.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:30 pm

What about adding a link to the section of snarkes site that mcm linked to as an external link?  This could be done much in the same fashion that squt's site has been linked to on this page...
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:08 am

TerraFrost: snarke's website is listed in the Links section and I had decided long ago not to link to other webpages from the Magic Library supages unless they lead to WotC or to the producer of the showcased product in case it is unofficial (as a preemptive note, despite snarke being the "producer" of the Proposal card, his website is unlike all the other producer websites I have linked to, so the exception does not apply). The link to Squt's page is an inconsistency back from the oldest days of this website. I have kept it because it fills an important hole (namely misprint coverage) deliberately left open so far on Magic Rarities.

If you or somebody else thinks, the current link policy should be changed, please state your case.

In addition, I would like to know whether there is a piece of information you would like to be added to the Magic Rarities coverage of Proposal. From my own perspective, I have covered everything which seems to fit the level of detail, the style, and the purpose of this website, but others may disagree.

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:36 am

Ah.  I wasn't aware of that.

Although that said, the way I basically percieve outbound links are as citations.  ie. although I might not be the authority on a given subject, this website is.

In this case, though, I guess magiclibrary.net is kinda the authority on rarities, but citations (when possible) are still nice, imho.

Ultimately, I guess I don't really have a strong case for them other than that I like 'em, heh.  So I guess I'm content with the your current policy :)
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0