PM oddity

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Celebrindor

PM oddity

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:16 pm

Recently, the PM system has been acting strangely - it has been telling me  that I have one more new message than I actually do.  For example, at the beginning of the day today, I had 91 messages (0 new) in my inbox.  Later, after having received one from Enrico, it told me I had 92 messages, 2 of them new (I deleted none in between).  Anyone else notice this?

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Re: PM oddity

Post by AXIOS » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:56 pm

yes me,

but it only happened once, 3 days ago.
now it is just fine again.....
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:11 pm

Another oddity in the PM system is with my friend Pickle.69

Sometimes when I quote him in my replies I read Pickel.69 (e and l are inverted)

???
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:16 am

sorry, don't know how to make a screenshot!!

when i look(ed) at the active userlist, i see the following:

Users online

1 Guests, 7 Users
AXIOS, MagicRumorMillPickle69, hammr7, Entinile, dragsamou, rick21n, misterpid

watch the new "lovers" magicrumormillpickle69................

i have seen this happened before, how can it be?
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:18 am

What is going on with my screen name?

arrg!!

Lasbrook

Post by Lasbrook » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:48 am

Well you see, in that special season called spring when one username finds that certain other username...

...and in the end a new username is born! I'm expecting MagicPickleMill69 any day now.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:49 am

Sometimes when I quote him in my replies I read Pickel.69 (e and l are inverted)

???
I noticed this also, but I suspect I understand why this is happening.  Obviously Richard would know better than I, but perhaps he changed his name at some point.  For example, I used to be known as 'van8888'.  Though my display name is now 'Celebrindor,' I still need to use 'van8888' to log in, and 'van8888' is what shows up when you address a message to me (try it if you don't believe me).  This happens with all users who have changed their names - myself, Ben, perhaps Richard.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:51 am

How did you know?

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:54 am

sorry, don't know how to make a screenshot!!

when i look(ed) at the active userlist, i see the following:

Users online

1 Guests, 7 Users
AXIOS, MagicRumorMillPickle69, hammr7, Entinile, dragsamou, rick21n, misterpid

watch the new "lovers" magicrumormillpickle69................

i have seen this happened before, how can it be?
You can make a screenshot by pressing 'control' & 'printscreen' or 'alt' & 'printscreen' in Windows.  One of those takes a screenshot of only the top window, the other will take a shot of the whole screen (not much of a difference if your browser is maximized), though I can't recall which is which off the top of my head.  Then, if you have any advanced image editing software (Macromedia Fireworks, Adobe Photoshop), go in and create a new image - the program will automatically resize the 'canvas' to the size of the screenshot, and you can 'paste' the screenshot into the image.  If you dont have any such programs, you can use Microsoft Word, or a similar document editing program to 'paste' the screenshot into the document (kind of like a big 'clipart').

I would be interested in seeing this - i've never heard of anything like that....

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:57 am

How did you know?
Because, when I changed my username, I just changed the 'name' field of my profile - the username field is locked upon creation of the account.  As for Richard, I tried to send him a PM, just for the purposes of this discussion, and sure enough, the 'e' and the 'l' were reversed in the send field - the software doesn't care what you are calling yourself currently, it needs to send the PM to your username.  (I would point out that username and 'name' are the same for most people - if you haven't changed the 'name' field, it is the same as your username (the name you type in to log in)

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:33 am

???
I noticed this also, but I suspect I understand why this is happening.  Obviously Richard would know better than I, but perhaps he changed his name at some point.  For example, I used to be known as 'van8888'.  Though my display name is now 'Celebrindor,' I still need to use 'van8888' to log in, and 'van8888' is what shows up when you address a message to me (try it if you don't believe me).  This happens with all users who have changed their names - myself, Ben, perhaps Richard.

Ok if you once had  another Forum name the name stays as your first one was for the PM part.
I very often mispell my nick and sadly it happend when I first registered here.
(it happend to me on 2 other sites) I got myself a new acount there as I hated it and you could not change your nick. On the Library you can change your nick.

but I never noticed what AXIOS pointed out. And I look very often to that line
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:18 am

Ok if you once had  another Forum name the name stays as your first one was for the PM part.
I very often mispell my nick and sadly it happend when I first registered here.
(it happend to me on 2 other sites) I got myself a new acount there as I hated it and you could not change your nick. On the Library you can change your nick.

but I never noticed what AXIOS pointed out. And I look very often to that line
Well, I have the same forum software running on my website.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it, but I believe it is possible for the admin (anyone with sufficient access to the correct files on the webserver actually, which should be just teh admin) to manually edit the login name.   However, it would require manually editing at least 4 different core files, which could have *ehmm* ...undesirable... effects if done incorrectly.