What kind of Magic player are you?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

What kind of Magic player are you?

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:33 pm

Mark Rosewater has updated his famous Magic player profiles and this time has introduced subgroups: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr220.

The test has revealed I am a Spike. While I lack some attributes usually connected with Spikes (interest in tournament play, bragging), I still agree that it is the profile describing best my own approach to the game. As far as subgroups are concerned, I would place myself closest to being an Innovator (without the tournament and bragging part, mind you). Aside from that, I have a touch of Vorthos, although not as strong as I used to when I still had more time to read the novels and study the art and flavor of the cards more intensely.

What is your Magic player profile?

(edit: link fixed)
Last edited by Ralph Herold on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Sorry, no matches were found containing
:-(

Is it maybe this page:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b

Gregtork
Legendary Goblin Vaenterianus Ibericus

Post by Gregtork » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:46 pm

I´m Spike too...

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:16 pm

The updated article starts here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr220

I came out as a Timmy/Johnny. I think that's fairly accurate, as the most fun that I have comes from building 60 card highlander decks with at least one card that starts with each letter of the alphabet or artist themed decks. Getting these types of decks to become competitive is great fun. I certainly am happy as either a Timmy or Johnny though. On the Johnny side I most identify with the Deck Artists and Offbeat Designers categories. For Timmy I most identify with the Diversity Gamers group, but I get almost all of my diversity by playing with simulated sealed deck or draft from my draft box (one of each card (by name) that I own - currently around 6800).

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:37 pm

I'm Spike / Timmy and it does make sense, i want a fun deck and play that special dragon =D>
Nice test!

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm Johnny / Spike and I believe that's quite accurate.

I rarely attend Vintage tournaments but when I do I never bring staple decks but rather strong decks which are original (i.e. 4 Force of Wills but Door to Nothingness as winning condition).

Of course I never win but usually finish in Top 8 or close to it and get lots of compliments for the originality of my decks.

Actually winning against Psychoatog / Worldorger Dragon etc. with my All Suns' Dawn Bringers decks is my maximum satisfaction :-)

Pselus

Post by Pselus » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:22 pm

Timmy/Spike for me...and it's incredibly accurate.

dgstranz

Post by dgstranz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:25 am

I'm Timmy, according to the test.

I enjoy collecting much more than playing and I enjoy watching other people play. When I play I don't really look for the big tough guys but the best thing I can play for a set amount of mana. I may look for cool interactions, but anyway, when I play I want to have some fun. And if I can deal 200 damage in a single turn that's quite fun :->

I'd like some other test about what kind of collector you are. How many kinds of collectors are there?
1) Doesn't collect anything in particular, just builds his deck.
2) Whole sets. An extreme version of this is someone who wants one copy of every card that was printed in Magic... in every language XD
3) All the cards of the same kind (every dragon, every mox, every counter spell, every red 1/1, every card that gives counters...)
4) All the cards by a given artist (Rebecca Guay, Phil Foglio, John Avon...)
5) One particular card (Shivan Dragon, Llanowar Elf, Stone Rain...) in all sets and/or languages.
6) One particular card, as many copies as he can get (11,000 Stone Rains, 4% of every print of a given Alpha card...)
7) Misprints
8) Promos and any other rare and exclusive card, including valuable misprints. An extreme collector would go into uniques...
Isn't Uktabi Orangutan cute?

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:47 am

Need a new category.. perhaps Ralph, Obsessive Collector?
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

phyconaut
Librarities Member

Post by phyconaut » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 am

im a Timmy/Johnny/Spike

I like teh mental stratagy but also like revamping old T2 and extended deck and tweak them for T1 and 1.5 play. and im a stat freak when it comes to my decks ill spend over a month analizing the mana and card advantage. but i enjoy the comboing for the win and teh 200+ 1 turn death. i do fit in all three very well.
Current projects
Icy Manipulator Global set
The Mountain Project (Oficial name comming soon)
links for lists comming soon.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:37 am

Johnny/Timmy. Used to be johnny/spike. Fits well, since i play for the fun, not to win.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 am

Timmy/Johnny. More Timmy though. I always try to come up with off the beat decks to get the occasional big win. Sometimes they work, most of the time they don't, otherwise they would be main decks! Some of my more noteables have been:

Snake Basket/Overrun
Day of the Dragons (U/W using any block token generators)
Dragon deck, using Zhirilan of the Claw (loved getting a turn 1 Zhirilian after going first, then spanking my opponent with a Nichol Bolas next turn dumping his hand...quickly followed by Dragon Tyrant)
Myr-Tribe deck (playing 4x of all the mana myrs, with Skull Clamp prior to restriction/banning and Coat of Arms)

One of my favorite moves of all times was playing a R/W fun deck using Sacred Mesa generating pegasi. My opponent knew about my deck and sideboarded in Hurricanes. When he hit me with a 7pt Hurricane attempting to hit my 9 flyers, my hand was holding a Reflect Damage in it. Boom for 63! I remember the expression on his face as he kept reading the card over and over in disbelief.

In response to dgstranz:
I am a #2 to an extent, but only doing US-released sets, a $6 for Dakmor Sorceresses, and a #8 for promos only.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:47 am

I'm all Johnny. I like to put stuff together. ;-)
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.