My stepmother hates Magic: the Gathering

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Big Games Supply

My stepmother hates Magic: the Gathering

Post by Big Games Supply » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:33 pm

For those of you interested, I have not seen my stepmother since soon after my dad's death in 1996. She has made it a point to remove herself from my life since his death. Normally I would just let her dry up and blow away, but there is an adopted sister who I barely knew and wanted to be some sort of a brother to her. Anyways, here is part of her email to my wife and one of the stupidist links I have ever seen. Enjoy!

" I see from the Web, that James’ business includes selling magic singles cards. I do not want me or Renee to come in contact, even remotely, with magic games. It appears that the stores James works with also deal with war games, fantasy gaming, etc. For me, this is not just a means of making a living, a source of entertainment, or magic "slight-of-hand" but opening yourself and family to a dangerous form of influence. I do not know the actual items that James sells, but just being associated with magic stores is why I say I do not want me or Renee to come in contact, even remotely.

At one time, you and James attended church in MN and I hope that you might do some research into what the Bible says about magic and similar subjects. There is a short article on the Web about this topic that you may want to look at: http://cana.userworld.com/cana_magic.html . This article talks about the specific game, "Magic: The Gathering", but it also speaks to overall concerns about magic and similar subjects. I’m sure, there is much more information if you look for it, if nothing else, for the sake of your children."

Any thoughts on the reply I should send? Keep in mind that she is nuts and I don't really care to know her ever again. lol

James

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:00 pm

If she's making it a point to remove herself from your life, why is she emailing your wife and hunting you down on the web?

People who believe in this sort of thing can not be reasoned with using the same logic that most of us use. It's nearly impossible to debate with them on any topic. Therefore, does the email really rrequire any sort of response? What would be the purpose?

And last, this game Pusher sounds awesome. Do you have any for trade??

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:27 pm

In my fantasy world this would be the right response:

'Hey, an associate of mine who spent 4 years at Wheaton College as a biblical/theological major would love to have a 'holier than thou'-off about this very subject, but he's too busy discussing science fiction and fantasy subjects on the Christian Sci-Fi Yahoo boards with some other friends from Wheaton, unless, of course, he's currently playing Magic with some other friends. But if you leave your weak-assed arguments at the door perhaps he'll get a chance to read them when he needs a good laugh.'

Unfortunately, in the world we live in, you're pretty much screwed until your sister gets a chance to contact you directly. And, as happened once two generations ago in my family, you might never get a chance because people can disappear if they really want to..;-/

Best of luck tho.

Gryfalia

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:51 am

If I may, your stephmother does show some interest for you and yours. Otherwise, I guess she wouldn't have sent this letter in which we can read her concerns.

Looks like, though, she's focused on what she believes is wrong with your work (maybe a way to show her concern ?).

My guess is, you should read the article she sent you carefuly, and keep in mind the Ante Scriptum :
I am not telling anyone what to do. I am merely trying to point out, that pretending to be a sorcerer and playing with cards that seem to glorify the power of the occult may not be pleasing to God. This is something for you who play to ponder.
The author's writing is, he admits it, his point of view, mere speculations. And I guess one cannot educate children based only on someone's point of view read on the Internet.

Maybe try to explain that 'yes', you're some sort of geek (we're, in some way, old teenagers), 'yes', you understand that her Christian faith might be offended by the view of Satan worshipping critters (yada yada) but that your kids are faring well and that a good education (explaining what's good and what's bad) and love will do the trick.

My two eurocents, hope it made sense :p
Artist for Neo-Token.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Tell her about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and see if you can convert her to Pastafarianism.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:38 pm

I wonder why she links to a website which is the furthest from true Christianity that I could ever imagine (a bit like the Roman Catholic Church).

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:06 pm

ende73 wrote:I wonder why she links to a website which is the furthest from true Christianity that I could ever imagine (a bit like the Roman Catholic Church).
I am not sure in what context you say that. I, being a roman Catholic.

;)

james

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Tell her about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and see if you can convert her to Pastafarianism.
My whole family got a good laugh about that one. Thanks slinga.

james

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Post by Dilligaf » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:30 am

i posted this article over on a local site i frequent (texasmagicleague.com) and it got quite the response.. and none of it positive.

long story short, this lady = nutcase.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

Catboy

Post by Catboy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:29 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Tell her about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and see if you can convert her to Pastafarianism.
Kingdom of Loathing would like to have a word with you. ^_^
Games Supply: Know what I think? Don't send her a response. She's nuttier then Jack Thompson. Holier-then-thou senile christians are better off ignored.

phyconaut
Librarities Member

Post by phyconaut » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:38 am

just ignor what catboy said any send her an email desperatly trying to convert her to Pastafarianism chances are that she will never want to hae a word with you ever again and your problem would be solved.

ALL HAIL HIS NOODLY APPENDAGE!!!
Current projects
Icy Manipulator Global set
The Mountain Project (Oficial name comming soon)
links for lists comming soon.

themike314
Librarities Legend

Post by themike314 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:04 am

Barring her being touched by His Noodly Appendage...

Tell her to go back to her fairy tale book of unicorns, satyrs, cockatrices and fiery serpents that she believes is real, and you'll go back to playing your fantasy game/s.

texsue57

Post by texsue57 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 am

My grandmother and mother were like that - it's partly a control thing. Yes, she shows interest in you, but it's because she wants to control what you do and what your sister does.

Don't let her. At some point she'll alienate your sister and then you can try to contact her (or perhaps she'll contact you) if you want. It sucks having to be patient like that and it will result in time lost that you would have preferred to otherwise spend, but trying to have a relationship with your stepmother, from the info you give, will just result in a worse outcome.

It sucks man.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:34 pm

Typical fundamentalist christian. They can never be reasoned with. Sorry.

texsue57

Post by texsue57 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:55 am

Xanatos wrote:Typical fundamentalist christian. They can never be reasoned with. Sorry.
It's not only Christian's, it's any fundamentalist. All religions have them as does the scientific community and the two wings of the political spectrum.