The Vast Magic Vendor Conspiricy!

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Big Games Supply

The Vast Magic Vendor Conspiricy!

Post by Big Games Supply » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:09 pm

Alright I am sure that collectively, we can figure out this web of companies that have been of interest to me for some time now.  I would like to know who ownes, manages, and buys for these companies.  I also want to know their connections, such as if two companies share the same staff?  If there are personal websites owned by staff at these companies?  Which ebay accounts are owned/used by companies in this network?

The purpose of this?

1) if something is stolen, we can narrow down the possibilities of the channels the goods took.

2) to be able to look through the illusion of competion.  There are at least 5 companies that are run by the same group of people.  Some have Morphling at $28.00, some at $33.00, and again some at $35.00.  Their buyprices also vary.  Perhaps: $10.00, $16.00,$25.00.  A person would be more willing to sell their Morphling at 10 if they sell it for 28, but less willing to sell it to someone that buys for 10 and sells for 35.  So some companies are more "buying" companies and some are more "selling"companies.  

3) I see it as a nut to crack.  I would rather know the behind the scenes action, than not know.

Feel free to add to this list and help me figure it out.

Queen's Domain

Troll and Toad

Gaming Jim

Over the Edge Games

Andrew Stokinger

Team Academy

I will post links to several sites in this "Network" later.

Thank you for any info on this conspiricy. :)

Celebrindor

Re: The Vast Magic Vendor Conspiricy!

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:41 pm

I think the title of this thread is a bit biased and prejudicial.  I have seen no evidence of any conspiracy.  But I do know this:

GamingJim used to be the main Magic buyer/seller/expert at Troll and Toad, but he no longer works there.  His wife runs Queensdomain on eBay.

Andrew Stokinger used to be one of the writers on the now-defunct magic website Team Academy.  He is now affiliated with Over the Edge Games in some way (his name is on all items I received from them.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:53 pm

Didn't you originally come here and tell us not to question Magic vendors?

Anyway, Celebrindor is certainly correct on the gamingjim "case."

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:54 pm

I think the title of this thread is a bit biased and prejudicial.  I have seen no evidence of any conspiracy.  But I do know this:

GamingJim used to be the main Magic buyer/seller/expert at Troll and Toad, but he no longer works there.  His wife runs Queensdomain on eBay.

Andrew Stokinger used to be one of the writers on the now-defunct magic website Team Academy.  He is now affiliated with Over the Edge Games in some way (his name is on all items I received from them.
You are correct.  I am in no way mad at these people for any reason.  I just like to be in the know about these things.

By the way, is Gaming Jim a heavy set guy with curly dark hair and glasses?  And was he the money guy at the Queen's Domain table at Nationals last year?

If so, I have to commend him for a great job he did there during the massive rush of customers.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:02 am

By the way, is Gaming Jim a heavy set guy with curly dark hair and glasses?  And was he the money guy at the Queen's Domain table at Nationals last year?

If so, I have to commend him for a great job he did there during the massive rush of customers.
Don't know, i've never met him in person.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:06 am

Didn't you originally come here and tell us not to question Magic vendors?

Anyway, Celebrindor is certainly correct on the gamingjim "case."
If you could not tell, I don't mean any ill will.  I just see what seems to be an interesting web of businesses, and I would just like to know the hirearchy.  I find it interesting to know my own competition, as well as the greater industry as a whole.  Now, do you have other info on this network?

johnstown713
Legendary Boy Of 713

Post by johnstown713 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:35 am

It appears to me they are all just businessmen/woman in a cutthrought business world.  I have bought from, Queensdomain on ebay numerous times and it remains one of my favorite ebay seller.  I ahve also done my fair share of business with Over The Edge Games in person.  I have had good and bad experiences with them.  The point is regardless if they are connected in some way they are all out for personal gain.

Samite_Healer
Librarities Hero

Post by Samite_Healer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:54 pm

Gaming Jim used to be the Executive Buyer for Troll and Toad, and has since left them after his wife Reina did first.  He has been in the business since the very beginning, so almost everyone has heard of him or knows him.

Andrew Stokinger worked temporarily for Jim at TnT about 2 years ago and was trained by him originally.  Eventually, Andy  opened OverTheEdge Games in Worcester, MA and was partners with Jim for some time, although it has been rumored that he has since left.

Queen's Domain is run by Reina, Jim's wife and they put up awesome parts of Jim's personal collection occasionally.

Troll and Toad is the oldest and largest seller of magic singles and products and is a multi-million dollar a year company that has incredible access to cards and sealed product.

Team Academy was a group of teammates who created a web site that contained disturbing rants and abrasive material of which Andy was formerly a member.   Andy disassociated with the site after forming OTE because it was bad for business, publicity, and the higher-ups didn't want someone affiliated with such a site to be vending at PTs and other prestigious events.

OverTheEdge Games is completely owned and operated by Andy Stokinger, and his main representative that deals with stores and companies is Mike Broughton, AKA Mykeatog who is an awesome guy.  They host events to buy mass amounts of cards and attend GPs, Regionals, States, PTQs, and conventions to do the same.  They mostly wholesale to other stores, but also eBay tons of items as well.  They have had their more-than-fair share of bad publicity in the New England area as a result of several mistakes and poor business decisions in the past.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:42 pm

Gaming Jim used to be the Executive Buyer for Troll and Toad, and has since left them after his wife Reina did first.  He has been in the business since the very beginning, so almost everyone has heard of him or knows him.

Andrew Stokinger worked temporarily for Jim at TnT about 2 years ago and was trained by him originally.  Eventually, Andy  opened OverTheEdge Games in Worcester, MA and was partners with Jim for some time, although it has been rumored that he has since left.

Queen's Domain is run by Reina, Jim's wife and they put up awesome parts of Jim's personal collection occasionally.

Troll and Toad is the oldest and largest seller of magic singles and products and is a multi-million dollar a year company that has incredible access to cards and sealed product.

Team Academy was a group of teammates who created a web site that contained disturbing rants and abrasive material of which Andy was formerly a member.   Andy disassociated with the site after forming OTE because it was bad for business, publicity, and the higher-ups didn't want someone affiliated with such a site to be vending at PTs and other prestigious events.

OverTheEdge Games is completely owned and operated by Andy Stokinger, and his main representative that deals with stores and companies is Mike Broughton, AKA Mykeatog who is an awesome guy.  They host events to buy mass amounts of cards and attend GPs, Regionals, States, PTQs, and conventions to do the same.  They mostly wholesale to other stores, but also eBay tons of items as well.  They have had their more-than-fair share of bad publicity in the New England area as a result of several mistakes and poor business decisions in the past.
WOW!  That is awesome.  much appreciated.  I have also seen Andrew write for Starcitygames.com.  Is there a connection there?  I think Ben Bleiwiess worked for Neutral Ground and there are several articles there regarding gamingjim and other big wigs getting together.

The other thing connected to all of this is the new barcode system.  How is it that the online stores are still able to purchase sealed product?  I have seen 2 distributors go under because of having their accounts yanked due to selling to companies that heavily discount sealed product to the consumer.  How is it that Starcitygames, TnT, and others are getting special treatment in this matter.  There must be some sort of favoritism at woc to some of these companies.  The whole reason for tracking the boxes as of fifth dawn, was to help the brick and mortor stores sell their product without worring about online price cutters.

Any thoughts?

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:02 pm

Q: Does StarCityGames.com ship internationally?

A: Yes. With the exception of Magic: the Gathering sealed product, StarCityGames.com ships worldwide. We have thousands of satisfied customers throughout the world.
The restrictions were only placed on international orders, I believe, where it's much cheaper to buy from US retailers than local retailers.  I'd imagine other sites have imposed a similar policy.