All Gone...

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

All Gone...

Post by aleksandr » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:59 pm

Hey all...

I found out yesterday that  my entire collection of Magic rarities, foils, and rares was stolen from my store.  My initial reactions ranged from extreme rage (flipping over several 3'x3' tables and throwing chairs) to anger to deep depression.  I think deep depression has taken over as the primary emotion at this point.

I know my collection was probably no where near as complete or impressive as many of the other board members, but I had just begun collecting rarities about a year ago.

I've lost, among other things:

1 Set of APAC lands
Sets of nearly all of the Arena League lands
Almost complete collection of Arena League promos from the  past 3 years.
Most Prerelease and Release cards from the past 5 years or so.
A few FNM promos from the past few years
An almost complete set of Player Rewards Tokens (some signed)
Assorted other stuff of varying importance, including my an all black-faced filler card.
About 50-60 signed cards from varying artists.  Many Mark Tedin and Ed Beard.  Some Mark Zug.

And, about 400-500 rares ranging from Unlimited to Kamigawa block.

I'm most pissed about the signed cards, as those will be the hardest to replace, especially since some of them were signed promos.

I don't know if I will even attempt to recollect some of this stuff.  I do know that we've decided to shut down the store entirely.  I've finally had enough of people stealing both from the store, other players, and now myself.

Thought I'd just let you know...if anyone in the greater Boston area starts seeing a large influx of signed promos, let me know :)

Aleks

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: All Gone...

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:08 am

Hi.
I really hope that you will be able to catch the F... Thief,
before,the cards are in the Wild.May the Force be with you,I will have a look on Ebay in case a lot of Signed Cards and Promos show up and also on MOTL  ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:27 am

If you do decide to try to replace your collection, I have a spare all-black filler, set of 2005 Arena lands, and some mixed spare promos.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:39 am

Since someone asked via PM, but it was an excellent question, I'll follow up here.

I believe it was an 'inside' job, i.e. an employee who had been implicated in a potential previous incident.

I plan on filing a police report today, just because the value of the cards was approx $4000US or so.  

I suppose its partially my fault as I kept my personal collection at my store, in a location that was usually locked, but somehow forgot to lock it over this past weekend.

I don't think our business insurance would cover it, and I don't really want to even inquire as to our homeowner's policy because of all of the underhanded tactics going on in the insurance world (i.e. I can't afford my premiums going up significantly due to a claim, etc.)

Money-wise, it doesn't really mean much...its more the fact that it was something that I was working pretty dilligently on for the past year or so of my life and I had been quite proud of it.

We're going to start winding down operations here for an eventual shut-down.  In the meantime, we will continue to operate and I plan on offering a several hundred dollar cash reward for the collection's return with no questions asked.

Thanks for the followups guys, I really appreciate it.  Its nice to know that we have a decent group of people here, unlike the customers I have at my store.

Regards,
Aleks

Porkinho

Post by Porkinho » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:36 am

Hy Aleks,

I'm sorry for the stuff that was stollen, and I know what means to start all over, but if it's something that you really enjoy, dont give up :) I'm sure you'll find the strenght, and as soon as you get new stuff, you'll be inspired to get more :)

as for the f...er that stole the stuff, hope you catch him/her and punish him/her as you may find suitable!

I'm sure that the ppl here will be with one eye on your case through several forums and ebay, I know I will :)

Luis

Perruche87

Post by Perruche87 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:09 am

hi aleks
i had my ccards stolen a year ago not a lot of money but lots of cards that i like for their history so i know what it is
evrybody on the forum i think will keep eyes open on ebay or tournament for you
don't give up collectionning it won't bring u back ur cards
jean-baptiste

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:39 am

Hello Aleks,
I can understand very well what you are going through.  I have posted on here in the past about my loss, which is essentially the reason why I stopped playing and decided to collect only.  I too had many thousands worth of $$ taken, back in 1999 I think it was (my 5 playing decks, and all my good rares - beta/alpha powers, shivans and such).
I got quite depressed about it back then, and never could locate who exactly the thief was.  This was before I learned of Ebay or the Library.  Some days I sit and think (and almost wish) about playing again, but that theft hardened me, and my cards stay purely at home where no one can touch them.
I have enjoyed collecting, and though I will not play again, I find collecting to be a good hobby still.
Stay strong, with luck you may locate the thief and the cards (if you find the thief, have somebody do something to him, and then forget him - it will definitely make you feel better).
Oct 30, away until further notice

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:45 am

Hi.
I really hope that you will be able to catch the F... Thief,
before,the cards are in the Wild.May the Force be with you,I will have a look on Ebay in case a lot of Signed Cards and Promos show up and also on MOTL  ;)
Agreed. F-ing theives, i hate these sort of people...  :-[
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:22 pm

I had a store once.  I used to pile up my regular customers in my mini van and take them to Qualifiers and prereleases.  I loved those guys.  Then when it was time to close my store for good, my great customers decided it was their last chance to steal from me.  They crawled through the ceiling tiles and dropped in stealing my best friends collection he kept at the store, two cases of Magi-Nation, and all 15 of my decks.  Thank God he was an idiot and dropped his pager in my store on his way out.  I called him at his work the next day.  He felt bad and came over with 40 bucks and a Chaos Orb.  Everything else had been sold and the money spent.  I pressed charges on him and still never saw anymore money from it.

Now-a-days he is the only person who will not talk to me at any Minnesota event I attend.  I have seen him rise to be the top rated Magic player in Minnesota.

I told him that I had just come back from a hunting trip and was storing my guns in my back room until the next day.  I was also so tired after the long drive that I considdered sleeping at the store that night.  If I had, and I saw someone in my shop stealing from me, I would have blown his brains out.  He said, " you would have killed me over some cards?"  I said, you damn right I would have!  You took the food right out of my kids mouths.

I know what you feel.  I hope you find him.  BTW, if anyone wants to know who the highest rated player is in MN, it won't be my fault you looked.  heh

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:35 am

Well...I have an update.  I went to go to work this evening (my real job,  not the store) and found that another binder full of Magic cards and my LAPTOP were missing from my truck!  Now granted, I did have the doors unlucked, but this is New Hampshire and nearly everyone leaves their vehicles unlocked in their own driveway.

The local police dept. is opening a file and will be having a detective contact me either Friday or Monday.  The officer I spoke with thought it was a very likely situation that a certain teenage former employee was responsible for the thefts and told me I should make sure the detective has this kid's name and address.

Here is what I think has happened...at one point my wife asked me while at the store "Where is that binder of rares we purchased from so-and-so?" and I responded "Oh, its in the front seat of the truck".  I'm pretty certain the person was going for the cards and happened to find my laptop bag sitting there as well and took it too.

Minor or not, if it turns out to be him, I will certainly insist on pressing charges.  I wonder what happens to a teenager who is caught stealing 5-6 grand worth of items?

As for the guns, while I do feel strongly about our rights to bear arms as Americans, I don't personally own any guns, so I wouldn't be able to shoot the person if I caught them in the act ;)

Aleks

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:41 am

Well...I have an update.  I went to go to work this evening (my real job,  not the store) and found that another binder full of Magic cards and my LAPTOP were missing from my truck!  Now granted, I did have the doors unlucked, but this is New Hampshire and nearly everyone leaves their vehicles unlocked in their own driveway.

The local police dept. is opening a file and will be having a detective contact me either Friday or Monday.  The officer I spoke with thought it was a very likely situation that a certain teenage former employee was responsible for the thefts and told me I should make sure the detective has this kid's name and address.

Here is what I think has happened...at one point my wife asked me while at the store "Where is that binder of rares we purchased from so-and-so?" and I responded "Oh, its in the front seat of the truck".  I'm pretty certain the person was going for the cards and happened to find my laptop bag sitting there as well and took it too.

Minor or not, if it turns out to be him, I will certainly insist on pressing charges.  I wonder what happens to a teenager who is caught stealing 5-6 grand worth of items?

As for the guns, while I do feel strongly about our rights to bear arms as Americans, I don't personally own any guns, so I wouldn't be able to shoot the person if I caught them in the act ;)

Aleks
Well, the thorn in my side was 15 at the time.  He went to juvinal jail for 3 months and his mother claimed she had not the 7 grand to pay me since she was on welfare.  Awwwwwww!~  I feel so bad for her.  bo freakin whooo! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:29 pm

This thread calls for... the return of the Gord (shop owners humour inside).
Artist for Neo-Token.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:38 pm

Well, the thorn in my side was 15 at the time.  He went to juvinal jail for 3 months and his mother claimed she had not the 7 grand to pay me since she was on welfare.  Awwwwwww!~  I feel so bad for her.  bo freakin whooo! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
What the heck did he spend $7K on that he couldn't sell to pay you back?

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:01 pm

What the heck did he spend $7K on that he couldn't sell to pay you back?

Pot and had a party.  He smoked it all away.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:09 pm

Pot and had a party.  He smoked it all away.
Must be a Remake of "Up in Smoke" for 7K [smiley=laugh.gif]
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.