Mark Rosewater on the Rancored Elf lawsuit

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Mark Rosewater on the Rancored Elf lawsuit

Post by mintcollector » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:06 pm

Mark spends the first half of this weeks column speaing on the WOTC position on the lawsuit:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr233

Nice to see WOTC come publically forward regarding something on this topic. As Mark stated, you don't have to agree with WOTC, but they key was to make people aware of why what was done was done.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:24 pm

He didnt explain why they didnt just send a cease and desist letter.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:04 pm

Volcanon wrote:He didnt explain why they didnt just send a cease and desist letter.
A cease and desist letter is used in cases where someone is infringing on your product by creating one that violates trademark ownership. For example, someone creating card tokens using M:TG backs would get busted, but those putting their own logos on them do not.

So with that in mind, Rancored Elf was not violating a trademark by creating a product for his own gain, but what was posted was to reveal trademark secrets obtained illegally. Mark went into detail explaining that he personally does not like info pre-leaked unless it is managed so. I don't blame him at all. Put yourself in his shoes. Would you like it if someone blasted on and on about your work in ways you did not want to?

Well I have yet to say my two cents on this whole topic, but it just peeves me off when fans complain about a company protecting their interests. Especially on prototype info. Please keep that in mind that this was what was leaked, not finished cards. I am surpised WOTC has been so latteral in what is leaked anyways. I had begun to think that the info gotten at M:TG Salvation was engineered as such by WOTC. Apparently this is not the case. As Mark pointed out, a line that should never had been crossed was crossed, and WOTC was finally not turning a blind eye anymore. I think they went after Rancored Elf specifically because M:TG Salvation is notorious for having the most complete and up to date pre-leaked info. As Mark mentioned in his article, consider this a warning to all others. I can't say I blame WOTC at all.