Is Magicsourceonline.com Bogus?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Is Magicsourceonline.com Bogus?

Post by squt » Tue May 16, 2006 7:39 pm

I usually sell my extra singles to Starcitygames.com, 'cause they're prompt and professional and their buy prices are pretty OK. Recently, when another rarities member suggested looking elsewhere, because there are other stores that offer higher cash amounts for hot singles, I ended up selling about $60 worth of cards to magicsourceonline.com.

It's been about 3 weeks since i sent them the cards, and haven't heard boo. I have been e-mailing almost every day for the last week, and even tried calling yesterday (had to leave a message), but still no response.

Anyone know if these guys are on vacation, going out of business, a bogus front, or just slow and sloppy?

Squt

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Re: Is Magicsourceonline.com Bogus?

Post by Mr.C » Tue May 16, 2006 9:57 pm

squt wrote:I usually sell my extra singles to Starcitygames.com, 'cause they're prompt and professional and their buy prices are pretty OK. Recently, when another rarities member suggested looking elsewhere, because there are other stores that offer higher cash amounts for hot singles, I ended up selling about $60 worth of cards to magicsourceonline.com.

It's been about 3 weeks since i sent them the cards, and haven't heard boo. I have been e-mailing almost every day for the last week, and even tried calling yesterday (had to leave a message), but still no response.

Anyone know if these guys are on vacation, going out of business, a bogus front, or just slow and sloppy?

Squt
if i'm not mistaken, th owner/operator (eric horn) was banned from motl, after many times on the bta, and a couple of unconfirmed rips.

sk1
Librarities Legend

Post by sk1 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:10 am

If you're interested in getting good prices for your singles, check out http://www.ibuymagic.com.

I have sold many thousands of dollars of cards to Shannon over the last four years or so -- they are located in the Greater Cleveland (Ohio) area and consistently offer the best prices around. They also attend most of the major conventions and tournaments.

Their website is very professional looking and simple to use.

I have nothing but good things to say about them.

squt

Post by squt » Wed May 17, 2006 4:08 pm

Wow - this is terrible news. How can this guy keep running a business if he regularly defrauds people? Shouldn't he be in jail?

Squt

Crystal_Lotus

Post by Crystal_Lotus » Thu May 18, 2006 9:50 pm

hey Squt,

Years ago, when I was back in Indianapolis, this guy was a constant thorn in the market. He was reknowned for shady dealings. Just a heads-up, I'd recommend staying clear of dealing with him if possible.

Sorry to hear that you may end up getting taken...maybe a visit back to the midwest is in order... :->

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Fri May 19, 2006 5:46 pm

All I can remember about packages arriving from Eric Horn was that the cards all smelled like they were stored in a cigarette smoking test facility.

Even handling the packages required 2 trips to the washroom and a brillo pad to remove the smoke odor.

squt

Post by squt » Fri May 19, 2006 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'm filing a complaint of mail fraud against him - first time I've ever had to do that in 10 years of trading magic cards.

Squt

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon May 22, 2006 8:42 pm

Please beat him up if you can...cause thieves suck (this from the guy whose house was broken into 8 days ago..;-/).

Anyway, I sell to many online stores, depending on what I am selling. IBuyMagic.com is certainly one very good, very organized place to sell (have sold many thousands of dollars worth to them too).
AlphaBetaUnlimited just sent me a nice check that I can't complain about and in pretty good time. Got rid of all those old Vanguard cards I had lying around, as well as 3 Thunder Dragons.
Have sold to StarCity without issues, and DACardWorld (a hitch the very first time, after that is was all good).
Also CoolStuffINC and the Wizard's Cupboard, as well as Troll and Toad.

Basically, the more you peruse the various sites, the more you see who pays a better amount for various items. Troll and Toad is a huge fan of randomly going through a set and buying lots of cards to fill their vaults. Assuming you have the set in question (usually something random), you just hit gold. Recently it was Italian Renaissance. Before that it was Starter 1999. And before that Anthologies.

And, most of all, never underestimate the fact that someone might REALLY want obscure/bad cards. I love those people..

Gryfalia

squt

Post by squt » Mon May 22, 2006 11:37 pm

Thanks for the support and advice, everyone. After a last-ditch effort to warn Eric about my impending complaint of Fraud to the feds, I got a short e-mail from Eric saying he'd been 'having some problems' and would pay me shortly.

We'll see.

Squt

squt

Post by squt » Tue May 23, 2006 3:33 pm

After a full month, 6 e-mails, and two bullying phone calls, I got my cash via paypal this AM. I'm not sure if this would have happened had I not been so agressive. However, I can't say he ripped me off.

Squt

Crystal_Lotus

Post by Crystal_Lotus » Wed May 24, 2006 4:27 am

congrats on the refund

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Wed May 24, 2006 5:15 am

Crystal_Lotus wrote:congrats on the refund
Many weren't so lucky.

jusahm

it is ripping

Post by jusahm » Wed May 24, 2006 8:38 am

hi just read this topic and in my opinion they tried to ripp you off. but you were able to show that you gonna fight instead of flight. i spitt on this kind of human. there i have more respekt in a person that has the "honor" to be criminal.

please look carefully what he did with you. he looks if can crossover the line of law in your dealing case and when he recogniced that this is impossible with you, he pays you your money back. now you are in the position that you cant tell others he hat ripped you off. you know that he did it,he tried it, and you cant tell us that he did it. how do you feel in that position, dubblefocked?

yeah you feel so and that s the reason why he can continue with his doublesided tour. if he tries this every ten persons, and only two hve the courage to fight for their rights. he earns a lot of money for ignoring emails. the best ist the two persons he couldnt rip of dont tell about the ripping, because they have their money back.

and the 8 other would not say something because they wont be the idiots that where ripped. we call this a dunkelziffer, its the number of criminal that are not posted to the police so the statistics never hear about that.

dont try to be honest to that guy tell everybody that he ripped you, and only your strong will has prevented you taken seriously money damage.

sorry for these emotions, but i hate coward criminals.

squt

Post by squt » Wed May 24, 2006 3:56 pm

Wow. In general, I agree with you, but I don't feel "dubblefocked" (although I WILL be using that term quite often from now on). I will definitely not be dealing with magicsourceonline.com again.

I just wanted to be honest in this post, and let everyone else decide on their own whether or not it is worth the risk of doing business with them.

Squt

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:58 am

sounds like a sketchy company. I read the BTA when horn got banned, and that was some weird stuff. I personally just sell my stuff to players, but then its hard to find people who buy crap rares and really rare shizz.