Another One Bites The Dust

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Another One Bites The Dust

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:50 pm

It seems that one of my favorite card vendors is no more :'-(

Without Paul I would not have completed my Italian Legends set.

http://www.collectmart.com

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:36 am

I am truly saddened; I've dealt with Collectmart several times over the years, and they've always impressed me with their speed of delivery, condition, etc.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:31 am

Yeah, he sent out an email to his customers a while back when he closed. A sad day indeed.

Let us all pause and observe a moment of laughing (at Scrye prices)...

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:21 pm

VERY sad. They were one of the few vendors online who took the time to post their foreign singles by correct language.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:48 pm

Paul was always a great guy to work with. Back in my days of needing quite a few cards, I used to parse Paul's site automatically with scripting to pick out anything matching my needs. Crude at first, I eventually got the scripting to alert me via email at first, then paging my work pager when new cards I needed hit the website. After finding out he basically sent mail updates to his server, I asked if he would include me on his server mailngs. He obliging did so. This meant my pager alerts were near instantaneous when Paul got ANYTHING I needed.

Paul was intrigued by my project and was curious to know what I knew about his site format. This led into me being hired to do some freelance work for him. My main project was converting his data records over to his new site when he did his conversion years back. Paul had a quirky record keeping process that kept every transaction he did in a contiguous file. This meant that at the time of his site migration, I had to scrub and reformat over 3 million transactions he had done. Besides getting paid in site credit, having Paul dub me a genius for all the work I did for him so quickly was a nice ego boost (given I was only into my systems programming career less than 2 years at the time).

I even got Paul some extre help from person I knew looking for a job in his area I had been getting some mint Beta cards from. Eric was a great addition to Collectmart and the added labor assistance allowed Paul to grow even more.

I just dropped Paul an email asking why he closed. I know years ago he was an systems adminstrator for Sun Microsystems, doing CollectMart on the side. He was married with kids and living in the overly expensive bay area. As others have said, it is sad to see another respected M:TG dealer close up shop. Paul was a great source for me to get my mint cards when doing my older sets years back. I owe much of my English Legends, Antiquities. Arabian Nights, and parts of my ABU sets to Paul.