I'll Be Moving So What's The Best Way To Pack My Cards

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

I'll Be Moving So What's The Best Way To Pack My Cards

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:18 pm

It looks like I'll be moving from Florida to New Hampshire later this year. It's a distance of about 1,400 miles so a professional mover will be involved.

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to pack my cards. I'm thinking that the ones that are in toploaders inside cases won't be a problem, please correct me if I'm missing something. However, I'm not sure what to do with the cards that are in binders. Since these include one (1) Arabian Nights, two (2) Antiquities, and three (3) Legends sets, not to mention some 2,000 signed cards and artist proofs, I want to make sure that they travel safely. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

Ed

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:46 pm

I always ask people to remove cards from binder pages before mailing them to me, as the cards do have a tendency to creep out while in transit. The only safe way packing method that I know of is to move everything to card boxes. It may be tedious, but it's better than getting damaged cards.

Where in New Hampshire will you be moving?

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:57 pm

Ed,

Make sure you get a reputable moving company. Otherwise some of your boxes and items may not arrive. I learned the hard way a few moves ago. Trying to get extra insurance on collectibles is difficult and costly, and alerts the movers that valuables are involved. I have found the best solution is to prepackage boxes and mask their true identity.

If you have cards in binders, the best bet is to remove the sheets from the binders and pack stacks of sheets. If you leave the sheets in the binders there is always the chance one or more of the plastic sheets will slip under the binder rings and result in indents to the affected cards. The other problem with binders (when in transit) is that it is tough to keep enough pressure on the pages to keep cards from falling out in transit, unless you pack the binders in an upright position (and the box stays upright for the entire trip).

The simplest solution is to wrap each group of plastic pages in paper, reinforce the front and back with cardboard, and wrap with tape. This will keep the stacks of sheets from sliding around, and the pressure will keep cards from sliding out.

It is best to use new shipping boxes and fiber reinforced packing tape (see below). If you can find boxes that allow you to snugly pack groups of sheets in an upright position, then this will help keep cards in place. If not, then pack them flat in the boxes and understand that you might have to open them gently so as to not damage the few cards that slide out of their pockets.

Make sure you pack up your card collection (along with other tempting valuables) before the movers arrive. I had my collection already sealed in boxes and labeled as either "reference books" or "customer files" and sequentially numbered on the top and side in sharpie. This made it much easier for me remembering how many boxes I had, and made it almost impossible for anyone to tamper with the boxes without me knowing it. The reinforced tape easily shows cuts, and would show cardboard tears if anyone tried to remove it.

If you have any item(s) for which this all seems to scary, you might consider bringing them with you personally. If you are driving a vehicle from Florida, you can take a number of items. If you are flying, make sure the items you take meet the carry-on limitations.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:05 pm

When I've moved, I've transported my cards myself. You'll have to drive your car up so put them in your truck in card boxes. They'll be fine. Binders can be packed tightly into boxes.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:35 pm

I have had to move my collection two times so far. Each time I let no one else touch the cards and I personally transported the binders myself. I just laid them flat in the car. I know this won't help you probably, but wanted to let you know what I did.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:11 pm

Can't disagree with that. Take the things you care about the most and do it yourself. That way you know exactly what's happening with them and the person who understands their value most (you) is watching over them..

Gryfalia

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks for all the advice!! I'm feeling quite a bit more comfortable about moving my collection. Psrex, my destination is the Lakes Region of New Hampshire with Gilford and Meredith being the most likely landing zones.

Ed

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:22 pm

notsofasteddie wrote:Psrex, my destination is the Lakes Region of New Hampshire with Gilford and Meredith being the most likely landing zones.
I hope that your move goes well and you can get settled before there's too much snow to deal with. You'll be a little more than an hour away from where I'm located, though I have yet to get out to that exact area of the state.

-Paul

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:05 pm

mintcollector wrote:I have had to move my collection two times so far. Each time I let no one else touch the cards and I personally transported the binders myself. I just laid them flat in the car. I know this won't help you probably, but wanted to let you know what I did.
samo for me only i did it three times.
NO ONE touched my cards, except for me.
put them safely in my car, and only me and my cards were in the car and drove to my new home unpacking the car myself and immediately (Very important) put the cards in the right place.
A place where they don't have to be replaced again!
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:01 am

I'll offer an (early) welcome to the state. I'm down in the Nashua area. My in-laws lived in Meredith until they moved to Florida last year.

The lakes region is a beautiful area, but in a year or so (or maybe less) you'll soon get frustrated by all of the tourists that jam up the area during the summer. I guess thats one of the downsides of living in such a beautiful area.

Plus, the snow can be brutal up there in the winter ;)

(I spent enough time living with my in-laws to deal with both of the above problems)

Aleks

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:20 pm

I'm with Mint and Kitty - I've moved my collection 3 times, and all of the cards have traveled with me personally. that usually means a separate trip in a car with JUST the cards, but that way if something goes wrong, I can only blame myself!

Squt