crimps vs. summer 4th

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

crimps vs. summer 4th

Post by TerraFrost » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:18 pm

so which is more common?  i have almost 70 summer 4th cards, and have a friend with what i would guess to be around 40, himself, yet i have never seen any crimps.  i don't have any in my collection, and neither do any of my (real life) friends.  the only crimp i've actually ever seen, in person, isn't even an mtg card - they're from a babylon 5 ccg - specifically, a pack which had one more card than it should have had.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Re: crimps vs. summer 4th

Post by fvzappa » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:01 pm

I look at it this way- 4th is done being printed, many don't even know they have them. Crimps keep being printed, could be in any pack at any time. I prefer a cool looking card that glows bright yellow under a blacklight vs. a card w/ ridges....

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:07 pm

I look at it this way- 4th is done being printed, many don't even know they have them. Crimps keep being printed, could be in any pack at any time. I prefer a cool looking card that glows bright yellow under a blacklight vs. a card w/ ridges....
Still crimps are alot rarer than 4th alt. I have 10,000's of cards. When i found out about crimps i looked and found one in my collection and sent it to Dry Cerial. When i went looking for alt. 4th i had over 70 So In my opinion crimps are rarer
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:44 pm

I will collect Summer 4th ONLY if it is crimped.   ;)

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:18 am

Crimps are definitely rarer.  Inca, I have a slightly miscut Summer 4th card (Word of Binding), but definitely no crimped ones.

Terrafrost, if there's any way you could hook me up with that crimped Babylon 5 card, I'd be greatly in your debt.

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:39 am

it's at my parents house - i'll look for it next time i'm there (should be next weekend) :)

also, what exactly are crimps worth?  the supply seems rather low, which should raise their value, but the demand seems to be low, too, which should lower their value.  the crimped alpha helm of chatzuk AXIOS recently posted about went for 2.4x the price of a normal alpha helm of chatzuk.  does that mean that a crimp is about 2.4x more expensive than the normal card?  i kinda doubt that since that would mean that a crimped swamp might be worth say, 8 cents, as opposed to 4, or whatever, or that a crimped black lotus might be worth 1200, as opposed to 600.  perhapes crimps are worth $25.17 over their normal value, but i rather doubt that, too, heh.

in any case, i'd also be currious to know how many crimps you, The_Gunslinga, and dry_ceral (i think those are all the crimp collectors posting here) have...

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:27 pm

I dont think crimps can be valued firmly... Depending on how badly crimped it is and what the card is, i think its like comparing a slightly misprinted card with an albino in some cases.
Like, I have an FE Soul Exchange with just slight crimping on the top say half milimeter of the card, I doubt anyone would pay more than 50 cents for it.
Which is pretty much the highest you could get for a regular one, if you were lucky.
It all depends on how badly a collector want it I guess (like when I bought a signed alpha dragon whelp for $24.50 on ebay the other day, probably the highest price anyone paid for an alpha whelp in history).
And regarding rarity, even though I havent seen any summer 4th cards myself, I think that crimps are rarer.
Everyone around here seems to have a nifty pile of summer 4th, but not too many crimps. Thats just my impression of it, anyway.
The right card for the right collector works here ^_^
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:30 pm

it's at my parents house - i'll look for it next time i'm there (should be next weekend) :)

also, what exactly are crimps worth?  the supply seems rather low, which should raise their value, but the demand seems to be low, too, which should lower their value.  the crimped alpha helm of chatzuk AXIOS recently posted about went for 2.4x the price of a normal alpha helm of chatzuk.  does that mean that a crimp is about 2.4x more expensive than the normal card?  i kinda doubt that since that would mean that a crimped swamp might be worth say, 8 cents, as opposed to 4, or whatever, or that a crimped black lotus might be worth 1200, as opposed to 600.  perhapes crimps are worth $25.17 over their normal value, but i rather doubt that, too, heh.

in any case, i'd also be currious to know how many crimps you, The_Gunslinga, and dry_ceral (i think those are all the crimp collectors posting here) have...

Generally I value crimps around $1 per, no matter how crimped they are.  If the card is something good (City of Brass, Stroke of Genius, Timetwister, etc) it's obviously worth more.  Cards that are crimped in interesting ways (vertically, fully crimped with an un-crimped part of the card on top, crimped and cut like that Helm, etc) are worth more.  I have 207 crimped cards.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:04 am

Cards that are crimped in interesting ways (vertically, fully crimped with an un-crimped part of the card on top, crimped and cut like that Helm, etc) are worth more.  I have 207 crimped cards.
Hi.
I do not collect Crimped Card,except the 2 that I have in my Special Binder,an Alpha Played Animate Artifact crimped down all the bottom and an APAC Swamp,
crimped on the left down part only,but reading all these different Crimped possibilities,you pick my curiosity  :)
Do you have a Scan showing the different versions that you mentioned?Thanks.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:23 am

here's another random question...  how do the rarity of crimps compare to the rarity of summer revised (as opposed to 4th)?  i imagine that would be somewhat hard to compare since summer cards seem to have appeared more frequently at certain locations, whereas crimps just sorta appear anywhere.

also, how do crimps even occur?  it seems like they'd occur when a card is higher than it should be in a pack when the pack is in the process of being sealed, but if that were the case, wouldn't packs with crimps not be sealed at all?  and how does one get vertical crimps, crimps in which only the top part isn't crimped, etc?