Hey guys, I have an Alpha Set...

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Worth
Librarities Legend

Hey guys, I have an Alpha Set...

Post by Worth » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:20 pm

Just wondering on the current value...it belongs to a friend who's schooling at the moment in NoCal, he wanted me to see about selling it for him. We're in no rush, I did try to (as hi-res as possible) scan the power 9, links pasted below. Any help appreciated!  

FYI, we've already been offered $6400, seemed a little low.

Thanks again!

Worth

the pics of the backs correspond to the same position that the front scans are. (i.e. the sapphire is the leftmost picture in the set, etc)

(you have to look bottom left of the page to see the name that the back pictures go along with...)

http://www.geocities.com/wxw116/power_blue.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/wxw116/Power_blue_back.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/wxw116/jet_emerald_lotus.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/wxw116/jet_eme ... _backs.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/wxw116/sapph_peral_ruby.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/wxw116/sapph_p ... _backs.jpg
Worth Wollpert
Brand Manager Magic - Digital
Wizards of the Coast

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Re: Hey guys, I have an Alpha Set...

Post by pickle.69 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi
and wellcome to the forum.
Could you please delete the post in the Archives as they are ment to not have new posts.
If you seek to get the most money out of it you should sell it piece by piece. I would be interesten in some cards allready :) as I am trying to finish my set.

good luck with the sale
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

lordsilver

Post by lordsilver » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:15 pm

I will trade you several hundred Alternate fourth edition cards, including about 100 rares.

Just let me know.

Edit:  forgot smilie  ;)

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:22 pm

Sorry, not looking for any trades really unless its similar old stuff and lopsided :) He just wants the cash out of it. Not going to piece it out either...
Worth Wollpert
Wizards of the Coast

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:39 pm

If you sell the set whole, you are probably going to end up selling it to a dealer who will expect to get it cheap, then flip it quick in pieces.  Even then, you will have to document condition, with pictures, for half the set (all the rares, many uncommons as a minimum).  

If you are going to do the work anyway, you can maximize the value by breaking it into logical pieces (commons as one lot, uncommons as another, most expensive rares individually, less expensive rares in lots by color).  This gets you down to between 40 and 50 lots at prices individuals can compete for.  

While this is extra work, assuming you have some history of prior successful sales (like a decent feedback rating on an eBay account) you can maximize the value.  How much, beyond your current $6400 bid, depends upon the condition of the rest of the set.  Another few thousand is probable, or even more if the remaining cards are close to mint.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi.
The last Alpha Set including PSA was sold 8000$ on Ebay ;)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:44 pm

I will trade you several hundred Alternate fourth edition cards, including about 100 rares.

Just let me know.

Please, oh please tell me this was a joke..but I see no smiley..;-)

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

GraueEminenz
Librarities Legend

Post by GraueEminenz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:57 pm

Boy, for your own sake,  put your private photos elsewhere  ;D
108 is quite bloody ...
BTW congratulation for becoming parents
Greetings
-Jan
There are only 10 types
of people in the world:
Those who understand binary
and those who don't

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:25 pm

I fully agree with hammr7.  The set of power ranges from fine to excellent in my opinion of grading, with exceptions of NM for the Emerald and NM- for the Recall.  I highly doubt many private collectors will wish to purchase the set, as the power would be place holders at best for those to assemble sets collection worthy for condition.  I do think you will end up selling to a dealer who will in turn just break the set up for resell.  I do think you can get a little morefor the set though....but overlal condition o the set is subjective based on what we have seen so far.  Assuming you have the set is about the same condition, I think you could fetch $7500-$8000 for the set if you continue to shop around for a buyer/dealer.  $6400 is getting close, but I would ask for at least $7000 myself.

Big Games Supply

Post by Big Games Supply » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:48 am

cute baby on your site.

Congrats.

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:46 pm

Thanks for the help and kind words for my son. :)

I really dont mind if others see the pics, but maybe I'll move them somewhere else...

Thanks again for the advice all.
Worth Wollpert
Wizards of the Coast

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:28 pm

Moved the pics, thanks all for removing the links in your posts. :)

Geocities is pretty sucky, but as with many sucky things, it's free so if you get a "bandwitdth exceeded" msg just try again in an hour or so. :)
Worth Wollpert
Wizards of the Coast

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:29 pm

Moved the pics, thanks all for removing the links in your posts. :)

Geocities is pretty sucky, but as with many sucky things, it's free so if you get a "bandwitdth exceeded" msg just try again in an hour or so. :)
If you want, my webspace and bandwidth per month just doubled, so I can host the images for you.

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:08 am

Wow thanks Cel, very genrous of you...I'd love to take you up on that if it's not too much of an issue. Let me know if I need to provide anything for ya, maybe via PM.

Thanks again everyone, the current offer is $6700 (from the same gentleman who earlier offered $6400)

Trying to decide if I want to get involved in all the work it would take to break it up and sell it in pieces. :)
Worth Wollpert
Wizards of the Coast

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:47 pm

Wow thanks Cel, very genrous of you...I'd love to take you up on that if it's not too much of an issue. Let me know if I need to provide anything for ya, maybe via PM.

Thanks again everyone, the current offer is $6700 (from the same gentleman who earlier offered $6400)

Trying to decide if I want to get involved in all the work it would take to break it up and sell it in pieces. :)
Well the easiest way to do this would be to price the larger items by comparing how well they do on eBay and any other location you are thinking of doing business with (Yahoo, etc).  Obviously start with your P9.  Then chart some of the pricier rares like Forcefield, Gauntlet of Might, etc.  Then if for some reason you still on the fence, price some of the rares and/or better uncommons.  

Back in the day, price guides carried accurate prices relative with the collectng community.  With the advent of the interent and eBay, prices guides are subjective to those local retailers who price as such and may not accurately reflect what others dealers buy/sell at, the online dealer market, and eBay or other auction houses.

Try to accurately grade your cards so you are not disappointed with the selling results.  Breaking up a set is always a hard decision, and it is a lot more work, but you should come out on top for singles prices versus a set if you do your homework right.  This is all a dealer is going to do anyways as this is how they make their living.