Foil in Sealed Booster

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Foil in Sealed Booster

Post by dragsamou » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:09 pm

Hi Members.
I just wanted to know if there's anyway to know if a Sealed Booster contains a Foil?Is the weight of the package different in such a way,that you can spot a Booster having a foil.Thanks for infos.
Last edited by dragsamou on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:57 pm

You probably can do it with an accurate scale (something that can determine weghts in hundreths or thousandths of a gram). I have heard rumors of scams in collectible cards (baseball, pokemon) where booster boxes were opened and each pack weighed. there were some that claimed the difference was measurable. I don't see why the same couldn't happen with Magic or other collectibles.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:18 pm

hammr7 wrote:You probably can do it with an accurate scale (something that can determine weghts in hundreths or thousandths of a gram). I have heard rumors of scams in collectible cards (baseball, pokemon) where booster boxes were opened and each pack weighed. there were some that claimed the difference was measurable. I don't see why the same couldn't happen with Magic or other collectibles.
Hi Henry.
Thanks for reply,whenever you have time,will you let me know,the weight difference between a Normal card and a Foil one,also if you can find any difference between Boosters,and Boosters Boxes,as I know you own the perfect tool for that ;-) Thanks.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:26 am

there are always tricks of the trade.. i will not divulge such information publically, and no, it doesnt require a scale

pm me alexis

-Morgan

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:44 am

I know from our local trader that during UY and UD weighing Boosters was common and u could buy foil displays with a guaranteed foil in every booster... I don't know why, but somehow this has stopped... Probably the difference is too low today...

gratz
Marcel

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:43 pm

me-and_we wrote:I know from our local trader that during UY and UD weighing Boosters was common and u could buy foil displays with a guaranteed foil in every booster... I don't know why, but somehow this has stopped... Probably the difference is too low today...

gratz
Marcel
bah, scale is for those unskilled enough to do by hand.. I'm like 98%+

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:18 pm

coolio wrote:
me-and_we wrote:I know from our local trader that during UY and UD weighing Boosters was common and u could buy foil displays with a guaranteed foil in every booster... I don't know why, but somehow this has stopped... Probably the difference is too low today...

gratz
Marcel
If the boosters are old enough you can probably feel the curl from the foil card. There might also be a different feel in the firmness, although I doubt dealers would appreciate have booster packs mauled by buyers. I do remember a few stores that wouldn't let kids pick through boosters during the Pokemon craze, since they were able to figure out which ones had foils.

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:26 pm

hammr7 wrote:
coolio wrote:

gratz
Marcel
If the boosters are old enough you can probably feel the curl from the foil card. There might also be a different feel in the firmness, although I doubt dealers would appreciate have booster packs mauled by buyers. I do remember a few stores that wouldn't let kids pick through boosters during the Pokemon craze, since they were able to figure out which ones had foils.
do ya go to events?, I can show ya.. I'll be @ the PR in philly in 2 wks