Diff cards w/same name -French, Spanish, It?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Diff cards w/same name -French, Spanish, It?

Post by squt » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:32 am

Hello all,

Things are slowing down on the blatant misprint/error side of things for me, so I've started really researching cards in non-english sets that  have name problems - different cards with the same name (like Luminous Angel (MR) and Angelic Protector (te) in German - both are Leuchtender Engel), or the same card reprinted with a different name (like power sink in Portuguese 4th and Tempest).

Mr C has done a fantastic job of finding nearly a dozen such errors in Portuguese.  And various people have helped me find half a dozen or so in German and Japanese.  But so far, I've only heard of one case like this in French (sol sacré), and none in Italian or Spanish (or Chinese).  

Has anyone noticed any cases with cards in these languages where the name changes from reprinting to reprinting, or where the same name gets used on two DIFFERENT cards?  Judging from how many there are in portuguese and German, there have to be several in Italian, Spanish and French!

Squt

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Re:  Diff cards w/same name -French, Spanish,

Post by Mr.C » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:21 am

Hello all,

Things are slowing down on the blatant misprint/error side of things for me, so I've started really researching cards in non-english sets that  have name problems - different cards with the same name (like Luminous Angel (MR) and Angelic Protector (te) in German - both are Leuchtender Engel), or the same card reprinted with a different name (like power sink in Portuguese 4th and Tempest).

Mr C has done a fantastic job of finding nearly a dozen such errors in Portuguese.  And various people have helped me find half a dozen or so in German and Japanese.  But so far, I've only heard of one case like this in French (sol sacré), and none in Italian or Spanish (or Chinese).  

Has anyone noticed any cases with cards in these languages where the name changes from reprinting to reprinting, or where the same name gets used on two DIFFERENT cards?  Judging from how many there are in portuguese and German, there have to be several in Italian, Spanish and French!

Squt

There are various cases in spanish, as far as people have told me. No names, however. I'm waiting for some answers by some spanish friends, to fill in some blank spaces in my new, multilingual, misprint site.

Oh, squt, pm me about the site, because im not sure if youre going to view me as 'competition', although i believe i am not... Lets just say i picked up various bits of info on misprints from the net, and made a version of your site to my liking of design and layout. But i'd like show it to you first, before i make it 'public'. Pm me.
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:26 am

Interesting Topic, Mark  :)

I just analyzed all Italian cards starting with 'A' and for the moment I have that:

Awesome Presence (Blue card from Alliances)
Imposing Visage (Red card from Ice Age)

are both translated as "Aspetto imponente"

More to come (probably)  :D
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:36 am

Interesting Topic, Mark  :)

I just analyzed all Italian cards starting with 'A' and for the moment I have that:

Awesome Presence (Blue card from Alliances)
Imposing Visage (Red card from Ice Age)

are both translated as "Aspetto imponente"

More to come (probably)  :D
Uh, im putting it up on my site. Any objections?

ende73

Post by ende73 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:56 am

Absolutely no objections, of course!  :)

Please note however I obtained this info through Internet (both those English cards result translated with the same name), but I have NOT seen the actual cards myself so there's a slight chance there could be an error.

I tried finding images of the italian cards on Internet itself but with no success  :(

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:09 pm

Absolutely no objections, of course!  :)

Please note however I obtained this info through Internet (both those English cards result translated with the same name), but I have NOT seen the actual cards myself so there's a slight chance there could be an error.

I tried finding images of the italian cards on Internet itself but with no success  :(

magiccards.info, maybe?

you dont have these? Im surprised! :o

squt

Post by squt » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:49 pm

Thanks for your help Ende!

By the way - Mr C - i really like your new site layout!

Squt

ende73

Post by ende73 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:40 pm

Maybe slightly off topic, but I always found this interesting:

Drain Power (from the English base-sets) was translated as "Risucchia Mana" in Italian first edition, while a more accurate translation would have been "Risucchia Potere".

When Legends was released, as you all know, Mana Drain (which should have been translated as "Risucchia Mana") had to be translated as "Risucchia Potere" as a consequence.

squt

Post by squt » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:28 am

I can confirm that the Italian Awesome Presence has that name, but not the imposing visage.  Where did you get this info Ende?  If it's from a database somewhere, I wouldn't mind scouring it!

Squt

ende73

Post by ende73 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:33 am

Squt,

check this link and click on rules beside "Aspetto Imponente"

http://mtgdb.net/database/querycard.php?s=EG&c=RO&o=1

It will show the rulings for Imposing Visage, and it actually notes what I posted i.e. that a card with that same name exists in Alliances  ;)

EDIT: Unfortunately I must confirm I do not own the Italian versions of these cards, since I usually collect English cards only. Also, I can't find any images of the Italian versions on the net.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:45 am

squt: would the following error be a 'misprint'

'Capashen Knight'

translated as:

'Cavaliere Capash'

ende73

Post by ende73 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:20 pm

Squt,

check this link and click on rules beside "Aspetto Imponente"

http://mtgdb.net/database/querycard.php?s=EG&c=RO&o=1

It will show the rulings for Imposing Visage, and it actually notes what I posted i.e. that a card with that same name exists in Alliances  ;)

EDIT: Unfortunately I must confirm I do not own the Italian versions of these cards, since I usually collect English cards only. Also, I can't find any images of the Italian versions on the net.

Actually, it's simply much easier to click here: http://mtgdb.net/database/index.php and type "Aspetto Imponente" in the "Nome Italiano" section. You'll get the 2 different English cards as a result.

ende73

Post by ende73 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:23 pm

HA !

Just found another one starting with B:

Puppeteer (blue creature from Odyssey) and Puppet Master (blue Enchant Creature from Legends) are both translated as "Burattinaio" !  ;)

ende73

Post by ende73 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:42 pm

Starting with C:

Hand to Hand (Red enchantment from Tempest) and Melee (Red instant from Ice Age) are both called "Corpo a Corpo" in Italian.

This is starting to get real fun  ;D

ende73

Post by ende73 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:27 pm

Suffocation (Blue Instant from Alliances) and Choke (Green Enchantment from Tempest) are both translated as "Soffocamento" in Italian.

Sorry about the many Posts, but I am noticing these one by one scrolling through the database mentioned above.