Foil Spiritmonger at Grand Prixs

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

svenman
Librarities Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Foil Spiritmonger at Grand Prixs

Post by svenman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi everyone,

At worlds in Paris it was revealed that participants of Grand Prixs in 2007 will get a foil alternate art Spiritmonger! (in the same way as pro tour players will recieve an eternal dragon). I will try to make a scan of the picture, it was in a promo leaflet.

Sven

User avatar
Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:00 am
Location: Germany

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:55 pm

This is good news! Spiritmonger is a card which cried to be reprinted as a promo card. I wonder when Force of Will will finally be foiled.

User avatar
squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Post by squt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:56 pm

I remember talking to Glen Angus about the art, and he was kind of bummed because when they commissioned it, Spirit Monger wasn't supposed to be all that great (I think it cost 1 or 2 more colorless), so he didn't spend as much time on it as he would have had he known it would be such a popular rare. Do we know who the artist on the new version will be? I hope they gave him another shot at it.

squt

User avatar
agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:44 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Post by agzz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:03 pm

from a swedish site: (probibly all over the web then)

Image


edit: the Angus art is way better imo.

User avatar
Archivist
Librarities Legend
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:22 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Archivist » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:13 am

squt wrote:I remember talking to Glen Angus about the art, and he was kind of bummed because when they commissioned it, Spirit Monger wasn't supposed to be all that great (I think it cost 1 or 2 more colorless), so he didn't spend as much time on it as he would have had he known it would be such a popular rare. Do we know who the artist on the new version will be? I hope they gave him another shot at it.
It's true. He often would ask them for more details about hte cards he was illustrating, since he knows how to play the game. He really wanted a "do over".
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

User avatar
dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:31 am
Location: New York CitY!?
Contact:

Post by dry cereal » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:12 pm

maybe it is because it is small, but I don't like the kev walker art...which is odd because he is my favorite mtg artist.

User avatar
mintcollector
Librarities Legend
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: Village of Lakewood, IL
Contact:

Post by mintcollector » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:50 pm

I like the new art, but it seems to be lacking the "green" aspect of the card. Also if anyone else cares, I dug around and found out that this card is labeled as "GP 2007". Coupled with the Eternal Dragon being "PT 2007", it begs the question of is this a new direction WOTC/DCI has gone in? I don't follow the professional tourney circuit overly well. What other major events are there that may warrant promos like this?

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by Volcanon » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:57 pm

The funny thing is Monger woudl still be a house if he cost six or even seven. I never understood why they printed him at five, where he's retartedly good.

Raven_Fire
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:44 pm
Location: Frederick, MD - USA
Contact:

Post by Raven_Fire » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:08 pm

Volcanon wrote:The funny thing is Monger woudl still be a house if he cost six or even seven. I never understood why they printed him at five, where he's retartedly good.
Monger is a beatstick for sure, but even at 5 it's not close to broken.

Will these be given out to participants at all of the upcoming GPs?

User avatar
agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:44 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Post by agzz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:23 pm

related but a bit OT maby,

Was the PT Eternal Dragon given away in Paris to the ones compeeting on the World Champions only or to ppl in side events and such as well?

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5612
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:43 pm

agzz wrote:related but a bit OT maby,

Was the PT Eternal Dragon given away in Paris to the ones compeeting on the World Champions only or to ppl in side events and such as well?
Hi Peter.
To Owners of a DCI Card,what ever was the events.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
mintcollector
Librarities Legend
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: Village of Lakewood, IL
Contact:

Post by mintcollector » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Alexis: You didn't answer agzz's question. He was asking if since you get the promo card in the main event, are there ones given out on any side events like drafts or the like.

agzz: If I had to guess (and this only is a guess) I would guess no. These style events are by invite/win only, and I am guessing only invitees get these cards. I'd be pretty shocked if they give out more of these cards to anyone but the invitees. I don't even think judges miht get these as a guess as well.

agzz brings up a good point. Does anyone know exactly how these cards were distributed and to whom?

User avatar
agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:44 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Post by agzz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:19 pm

mintcollector wrote:agzz: If I had to guess (and this only is a guess) I would guess no. These style events are by invite/win only, and I am guessing only invitees get these cards. I'd be pretty shocked if they give out more of these cards to anyone but the invitees. I don't even think judges miht get these as a guess as well.
I thought so to but in the one of the video Wrap-ups from worlds (last i think) Randy Buehler tells of an anecdote of a phone call the organizer had with someone that went something like: "We cant be out of Eternal Dragons! How many have you given out? Oh.. I guess then we are out."

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5612
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:38 pm

agzz wrote:
mintcollector wrote:agzz: If I had to guess (and this only is a guess) I would guess no. These style events are by invite/win only, and I am guessing only invitees get these cards. I'd be pretty shocked if they give out more of these cards to anyone but the invitees. I don't even think judges miht get these as a guess as well.
I thought so to but in the one of the video Wrap-ups from worlds (last i think) Randy Buehler tells of an anecdote of a phone call the organizer had with someone that went something like: "We cant be out of Eternal Dragons! How many have you given out? Oh.. I guess then we are out."
Hi Peter.
That's correct,On Saturday No more Eternal Dragon could be obtain through the DCI office.As Worlds in Paris were the most succesfull in regards of people that were there over 5 Days(3500+),beating the last record of Berlin 2003.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:14 am
Location: Denton, TX
Contact:

Post by Dilligaf » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:45 pm

originally, anyone who entered the room could get a dragon.

main event players got one, all side event players got one, judges got one, and if you confirmed your info at the PT Shop, you got one.

while supplies lasted.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests