Completist Set of Mountains

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Stefke

Post by Stefke » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:57 am

I love this project as well since I'm a fanatic land-collector as well :D I've been collecting english lands for a few years now and I've come to a point where I only need about 24 more to finish the english set (excluding World Champion lands), most of which are foils from the latest set Guildpact. I have decided to forget about the Alpha/Beta/Summer Duallands though. :P

I've been thinking about also making a website to keep track of my haves and needs, including scans or pictures from what i have already. I made a start with some simple pictures, but I'm still looking for a better, nicer site to make it much better.
You can check: http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=O7QVDZDM to see some of the lands i have already :D

I haven't got an exact count, but I have roughly 1300 different english Lands in my binders, which include both the non-foil as well as the foil versions from all sets including special sets like anthologies, beatdown etc and all promo lands.

Going for a global set, even if it was for only 1 type of basic land sounds like another massive task. Especially if you also include the foil Lands. Is this the case?

Anyway, if those who are participating in this project keep track of their haves/needs for this collection online, then I'll surely take a look at what I have as spares.

Good luck with this collection!

gerrikabeitia

Post by gerrikabeitia » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:04 pm

I usually use Access to keep track of my collections, but at this moment I've used the checklist from http://www.apathyhouse.com/, and imported it to Excel.
For the time being I think it's the best solution. I'll try to start theswamp project and organized my haves this weekend.

jeb

Post by jeb » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Stefke wrote:I haven't got an exact count, but I have roughly 1300 different english Lands in my binders, which include both the non-foil as well as the foil versions from all sets including special sets like anthologies, beatdown etc and all promo lands.

Going for a global set, even if it was for only 1 type of basic land sounds like another massive task. Especially if you also include the foil Lands. Is this the case?

Anyway, if those who are participating in this project keep track of their haves/needs for this collection online, then I'll surely take a look at what I have as spares.

Good luck with this collection!
Yeah, the 1125 number is counting foil versions of each Mountain as well. The global set just says something. I don't know what, but it has a hold on me. To have one of each of the most common spell (Stone Rain) somehow makes sense. Mountain has the same status for lands. I'm intentionally not counting World Championship decks because that could screw this up. ;-) I know I'm in no position to start this project, I just think it would be something to behold.

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:02 pm

agzz wrote:Only 1125? What a puny project. ;)

phyconaut>> As PD said, your isp may already have a space for you.
I use a spreadsheet for my collection. I use open office but excell would probibly work as well. That way its easy to keep track locally on my PC as well. I just save in html format and upload with ftp onto my webspace. For me, 1600+ card project, i think this is the best way, it only takes like 15 min to make and a min to update.
That works because you've implemented your online project tracking site as a grid. If you want to go another step, you could have your spreadsheet formulas actually write the HTML instead of saving the sheet as HTML (which will likely add a lot of HTML that you don't need)... this would give you tighter control over the appearance of your project grid.

With the manner I'm implemented the Stone Rain Project, doing it with Excel would VERY daunting indeed!
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:22 pm

Plastered_Dragon>> Sure, I could get more control in many ways, I could have done it with php or what not. This way i dont waste any time and the html actually is quite good.
Earlier I was thinking of doing a site more in the lines of Matts Bears or yours but just scanning the current 800+ cards.. nah. also I feel spreadsheet is the best way to get a complete view of the project due to size.

gerrikabeitia>> when you have your need list for the project dont hesitate to PM me with it/link!
phyconaut>> Same goes for you ofcorse!

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Does this mean you'll need to collect a set of the Ravnica block dual lands which count as basic mountains? This collection could get expensive then. ;-)
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

phyconaut
Librarities Member

Post by phyconaut » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 pm

no the card named Mountain not andy of the ABU and ravblock duallands are not counted.
Current projects
Icy Manipulator Global set
The Mountain Project (Oficial name comming soon)
links for lists comming soon.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:05 pm

This is so insanly funny to watch.

I am doing the shivan project as you all know. Funny is that often you get people to add cards as a protection to the card they ship you so with Shivans guess what i sometimes get?

As I (for feeding reasons) allready have all versions of summer mountains and mountain is the most printed card in MTG I, a couple of mounth ago thought of starting this project.
Due to me allready owning the most expansive versions I would not have tryed to buy them but to get them from freinds all over the world for FREE, whenever they ship somehting to me.

As I am not done with the shivans i did not start it and to be honest I think it is very very hard to finish.

What i want to say with all this:

its a great Idea, very tough Project but brings lots of fun and you get to know the weirdest people of all.
Only thinking about the long list you need to go through whenever you get one makes me shiver.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:08 pm

pickle.69 wrote: its a great Idea, very tough Project but brings lots of fun and you get to know the weirdest people of all.
What are you trying to say here?

merfolkguy
Librarities Hero

Post by merfolkguy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:30 am

Just a note -- All your projects inspire me.

damn, I really need to get reorganized though with a blog or a new ISP..I have a lot of html still from my old site but it was not a layout that was easy to update. I should probably put it all in Excel. I also can't imagine actually DOING all the those scans... yikes.

My global set that I'm chasing needs to be recalculated moer exactly but it's something like 1300. Sometimes it seems despairing to get rare foils in a foreign language. I try to focus on english, then foreign non-foils. When I get those done, and perhaps find some a pot of gold in the backyard, I may get more serious :)

M

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:34 pm

phyconaut wrote:...that would be so awsome if we could get all of the sets together at a convention or somthing ...
This is the thing that really interests me. There are so many really fantastic collections that people have put together--and nobody, sometimes not even they themselves, have seen. When I did the basic edition display (every basic edition card up through 7th edition) it was more to be able to see it and share it with friends than anything else. It is not easy to display 3368 cards all at once and if I could figure out a way to include pictures in these messages I would show it in case it would provide starting ideas for you to use in your collections.

I hate to see all this hard work not be available for people to appreciate.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:21 pm

Hey for those of you who ARE doing some far-out project collection, get in touch with me if you are interested in things like misprints, playtest, etc... I have some extremely crazy versions of cards, having devoted my time to aquiring these types of things.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:25 am

gerrikabeitia wrote:I usually use Access to keep track of my collections, but at this moment I've used the checklist from http://www.apathyhouse.com/, and imported it to Excel.
I started with Access and occasionaly import it to Excel when I want to make massive changes. With 13,000 records it is a bit bulky and I am not enough of an Access guru to really automate it like it should be. I have been very dissapointed with the "Gatherer" because I used to use WotC text checklists and spoilers to make my records for new expansions. Tried that the other day with 9th edition and had to make over 150 corrections in artists names and sequence numbers. That gets real old real fast.

Thanks for the reference to apathyhouse.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 am

I should develop an access based software in the coming months.

Needed to update my knowledge due to the big change of Access 2007, but since I am now using it at work, I feel more comfortable with it.

Even bought 2 big books.

hortar
Librarities Hero

Post by hortar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:13 am

There's a software (based on Access) that I'm using since the beginning, called Magic Suitcase.
I'm pretty sure that lots of you, already have ear about this wonderful software.
I use Magic Suitcase to track all my collection, including Sets in different language or variants (White Border vs Black Border), include picture of every card, can print perfect proxies, test decks, etc.
I never had any problem or issue regarding this software, for me have all I need, and we can simple open the database in Excel or Access for batch updates.
More then 45.000 cards recorded on the database, and keeps working perfectly.
A simple search on google point to the homepage, and there's a yahoo group to support the application.
Updated very quickly by users when a new set is release, but it's very simple make our own updates (adding new sets, or add new cards (like promos i.e.)), so there's no risk that the software becomes obsolete, or becomes dead, we can even exchange database between collectors for browsing and trade.
For me a simple word .... PERFECT
My Projects:
All Portuguese Stuff
20 Beta Rares, Korean Cards,
Limited Editions (Russian, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese)
Japanese Chronicles
Promos