Advice for a trip in the US

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed May 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey !

Thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought about the train from SF to Seattle. That's indeed a very good option and is far more flexible than a plane ticket I would have to buy in advance.

I'm a Last Minute guy so when things are not planned I feel less anxious (it is otherwise with most of the people :-D )

Is the Worlds area an expensive place hotelwise ? Where would you advise me to stay ?

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed May 18, 2011 4:01 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Hey !

Thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought about the train from SF to Seattle. That's indeed a very good option and is far more flexible than a plane ticket I would have to buy in advance.

I'm a Last Minute guy so when things are not planned I feel less anxious (it is otherwise with most of the people :-D )

Is the Worlds area an expensive place hotelwise ? Where would you advise me to stay ?
It is best to schedule the train early also. From what I know it is not over crouded but having it ahead of time insures you a place whereas if it is sold out last min plane tickets are $$$$$$.

I haven't looked but I thought WotC posted info on local accomidations for events.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Wed May 18, 2011 7:52 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:It is best to schedule the train early also. From what I know it is not over crouded but having it ahead of time insures you a place whereas if it is sold out last min plane tickets are $$$$$$.
The incentive to book ahead is due to price, not availability. I don't think that that route ever fills up, especially not that time of year. There are tickets available for tomorrow's train. A ticket on tomorrow's train costs twice as much as for one in November ($192 vs. $98).

I am assuming coach tickets. Its a 22 hour ride, sleeper cabins are much more likely to sell out. They add a lot to the price! I recently spent two nights on the train from SF to Chicago. Having a "bedroom" was nice, but this was for a special occasion.

One other thing about the train. This isn't Europe, this train only runs once per day, leaving in the morning. The final station is in Emeryville, which is across the bay from SF. The ticket includes a bus ride across a bridge into San Francisco.

You can check rates here.

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Is the Worlds area an expensive place hotelwise ? Where would you advise me to stay ?
I'd take Gary's advice and find out where Wizard's recommends.

Fort Mason is kind of isolated, a fair distance from where most hotels are concentrated. If you'd like to be able to walk to the venue, there are a bunch of small places on Lombard Street, which is about 5 blocks or so away (I found this on google). I assume World's is in the same building as last time, its located on a pier at the Northern tip of the Fort Mason area. There should be a decent view of the Golden Gate bridge from there.

If you plan to rent a car, assume you will have to pay for parking.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 pm

22 hours ride ! lol

I could fly to Australia or Japan.

I guess we don't have the idea of distances in the American continent, this is just so amazing...

3 hours is already a long ride over here... 22 hours :-D Unless I decide to play MTG all along...

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 pm

pcjr wrote:
magic-belgium wrote:Is the Worlds area an expensive place hotelwise ? Where would you advise me to stay ?
I'd take Gary's advice and find out where Wizard's recommends.

Fort Mason is kind of isolated, a fair distance from where most hotels are concentrated. If you'd like to be able to walk to the venue, there are a bunch of small places on Lombard Street, which is about 5 blocks or so away (I found this on google). I assume World's is in the same building as last time, its located on a pier at the Northern tip of the Fort Mason area. There should be a decent view of the Golden Gate bridge from there.

If you plan to rent a car, assume you will have to pay for parking.
Thanks ! I'm also helpless with Google Maps. I guess it will be a good training :-)

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Our trains are probably much slower as well!

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Wed May 18, 2011 8:08 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Thanks ! I'm also helpless with Google Maps. I guess it will be a good training :-)
My wife's been a good tutor. Search for "Fort Mason California" in the map. That should center the map on that area. Then, enter "hotel" in the search box. That should put red dots on the map for locations that probably have a hotel. If you hover of a red dot, you should get a name. You can probably click on one for more information.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for the tutorship.

Isn't it amazing all the things you can be taught on a Magic forum ? :-D

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 am

magic-belgium wrote: I guess we don't have the idea of distances in the American continent, this is just so amazing...
this is something I've heard before from people vacationing in the US. We're way larger then what most think I guess. Found this site that gives you a visual comparison

http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanma ... on-map.htm

make sure to use google maps to plan driving times and such.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri May 20, 2011 6:00 pm

I remember when I was a teenager, there was the same comparison with New York and France. And Paris vs New York. It looked so tiny !