thoughts about altered art

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 pm

I guess I need to chime in on this one :-D

I did alter my Beta 'Beat-a' Power after all... I think I was the first...

I REALLY dig Disney and years ago, I made a proxy Emerald and drew Tinkerbell on it... I LOVED that thing.. played it even though I had a bunch of real Emeralds.

Once I picked up some BEAT to heck Beta Power (sans my Lotus which is Unlimited and creased/torn) I decided to have Disney added onto to them. I didn't do this to impress anyone or for anyone else.. I did this because I love Magic and Disney and that proxy made me happy as heck to play with.

I can't tell you how much more fun I have playing with my cards... and I have NO intentions of EVER parting with them, so I don't understand how it's a slap to the community.

I would never have altered gem mint power... no chance. That to me is something that a collector should keep a hold of.
A few for reference

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm a pretty big Disney fan as well. I really like the pieces you've altered or had altered and seeing them on beat power I don't have an issue with it. From a collector standpoint beat power just isn't something I'd be interested in but since it is beat and it has some pretty cool alterations I would actually consider buying something along these lines.

If I was still dealing on the other hand I would stay far away from these because they're limited to a small market. I do understand that you aren't planning on parting with them but if the time ever came it would be much harder to move them then unaltered ones unless you found someone that really like them like myself.

Just my 2 cents.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 am

ritnecrowin wrote:...I REALLY dig Disney and years ago, I made a proxy Emerald and drew Tinkerbell on it... I LOVED that thing.. played it even though I had a bunch of real Emeralds...
I think there is a big difference making them or having them made for yourself. You are not expecting to make any money on them and they are something that are personal, also they are your cards which you intend to keep so you are probably not worried about resale value.

I don't like the Disney cards, I can see that they are well made though.

I guess if I really liked something, or really hated the artwork on a card I was likely to use regularly, I might consider it, but I would probably use a proxy instead.

Mind you, I can appreciate some tattoos but I would never get one myself, maybe it is the same thing...

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:55 am

I see it as a way for magic players to express themselves and what they like. I find it fascinating what subjects get chosen, and really enjoy looking it as a creative outlet. This may seem like a stretch, but this is cave paintings to me. This is man's desire to express himself on whatever medium he has available. I hope you all don't judge me too harshly, and I can appreciate this isn't for everyone, but I hope this helps explain why I think they are so wonderful.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:16 am

dry cereal wrote:I see it as a way for magic players to express themselves and what they like. I find it fascinating what subjects get chosen, and really enjoy looking it as a creative outlet. This may seem like a stretch, but this is cave paintings to me. This is man's desire to express himself on whatever medium he has available. I hope you all don't judge me too harshly, and I can appreciate this isn't for everyone, but I hope this helps explain why I think they are so wonderful.
I agree with you. Very well said.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:20 am

Painting them yourself, or commissioning an artist to do it for you is certainly a valid form of self expression.

Buying generic alters off the shelf, probably less so unless there is a perfect match between you and the artist. All it shows is someone elses desire to express themselves and make a buck.

My only alterations have been orange juice, a wheeled chair and a few creases, none of which I am proud of.

I can see why some people like them and I can see the quality of the work which comes across. Not convinced that someone elses alterations on top of someone elses art is a good window into your soul though!

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:20 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Painting them yourself, or commissioning an artist to do it for you is certainly a valid form of self expression.

Buying generic alters off the shelf, probably less so unless there is a perfect match between you and the artist. All it shows is someone elses desire to express themselves and make a buck.

My only alterations have been orange juice, a wheeled chair and a few creases, none of which I am proud of.

I can see why some people like them and I can see the quality of the work which comes across. Not convinced that someone elses alterations on top of someone elses art is a good window into your soul though!
this site must drive you crazy:
www.threadless.com

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 pm

I had never seen that site before, and personally I think that altering a plain t-shirt with an off-the-shelf design ruins the collectibilty of the t-shirt and destroys any resale value it might once of had.

I can see why some people may like a non-plain t-shirt and I can appreciate the effort which went into designing the picture, but not for me thank you.

I believe that you never really own a t-shirt collection, you are just looking after it for the next generation.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:35 pm

I really like these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cwRFVYI ... re=related

...but I don't play anymore.

I know some jank foils were harmed in the making of that video, but I always saw foils as an abomination designed to screw every last cent out of the collectors. I stopped collecting sets when they brought out the foils.

Foils get no love from me.

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

Post by markers » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Still don't like it. Those homemade ones are nice looking proxies but worthless.

These http://www.abugames.com/shop.cgi?comman ... &showall=1 really scare me because they are advertised as Tournament legal...

I keep to my signed and artist altered cards and be happy about it...
Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Altered MTG might just come down to whatever each one of us like. For example, I mostly prefer/value original illustrator alterations, just like my FoWs:

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:32 pm

markers wrote:Still don't like it. Those homemade ones are nice looking proxies but worthless.

These http://www.abugames.com/shop.cgi?comman ... &showall=1 really scare me because they are advertised as Tournament legal...

Some of these look really cool but the prices are just ridiculous. There's no reason why anyone should pay $100 on a card that was obviously fake.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Magic61983 wrote:
markers wrote:Still don't like it. Those homemade ones are nice looking proxies but worthless.

Some of these look really cool but the prices are just ridiculous. There's no reason why anyone should pay $100 on a card that was obviously fake.
I hope for Mister ABU that this Alter cards is a good market.
$$$ Make it rain ! $$$
Most of them are ugly.
Please stop destroying Magic cards ...

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm going to weigh in on this as I have had a change of heart since this craze started. Im prety much in this camp now.
markers wrote:The only alters that I find worthy to collect are the ones done by the original artists.
Originally I didn't think much about it and a board member did 4 beautiful Mystical Tutors for me (see my avitar) that I showed to everyone and played in every deck I could.

One day it dawned on me that the original artist, David O'Connor, signiture was covered. I don't know why I didn't notice that sooner. I feel VERY uncomfortable about that and no longer play with the cards. I still love the work that was done but feel bad that the original work is no longer credited.

Original artists only now for me (may be an exception like the little deer in a forest that I picked up at BOM in Annecy France).

Even original artists can mess up a card though.

That is ONLY me. You guys and gals do what you want--that is your world.

Gary