Fun magic stories

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Fun magic stories

Post by dry cereal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:21 pm

I was just told a story about someone who bought a foil sword of fire and ice from a dealer, tried to put it into his wallet, bent the card in half, then literally ate the card out of frustration.

With the colorful nature of magic players, I am sure there are lots of fun stories like this.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Well, about three years ago, I was playing Berserk Stompy (A MonoGreen aggro deck) in Legacy tournaments to outstanding records and prizes. My friends said I was being superlucky and that there are lots of cards that hurt me and I was lucky to not find in the table... They said it was just time to time until I was crushed by the opposite situation. I said something like "There's no single playable card in Legacy that can win the deck so easily", only to face the next round against a first game first turn and second game second turn a Peacekeeper, to which I have to concede.

Upon hearing the story, all of my friends bought the local dealer a card, signed it and gave me a signed Karmic Justice, to never forget it.

Gits
Librarities Hero

Post by Gits » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm

My second tournament ever was when I was a really young teenager. It was composed of 5 direct elimination matches. I had this sweet control deck that used to win with millstones, completely creatureless, that featured counters, removals, moat, the abyss, duals and so on (it was like 15 years ago).
I won easily the first match. I went for the second and found at the table a kid with an enormous pile of cards. After some chatting I discovered the ugly truth: that pile of cards was his deck, a 5 colors, 480 cards monstrosity that featured all his personal collection in no particular order. He won the first match having a bye and was sent to me as a divine punishment, I guess.
I lost, I didn't have the chance to mill him before drawing my entire deck, and I had left the usual singleton SB feldon's cane at home that morning... His only play was an hill giant somewhere in the game that died to the abyss one turn later... People kept passing by and laughing...
Most absurd lost I suffered to this day...

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 am

Haha, the last story made me laugh Image

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Gits, that is a great story! :-D

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 am

I was killed by Karma (literally in this case), while all of my damage producing mana sources (aka mountains/badlands) were being wrecked by Conversion. I was slowly dying, all the while complaining that I had put basic plains in my deck just so I could cast the disenchant in my hand...

Wait for it...

Yeah, I didn't even notice until after the game was over.

At the same store I manage to win with my blue/white control deck against a red/black burn discard deck in overtime, which there was played as SUDDEN DEATH. So first blood = winner. I manage to go first, played my island, tapped it and cast my sideboard Psychic Purge for the rarely, if ever, used 'normal' ability...and won the match, 20-19.
He's just this guy, ya know?

Default User
Librarities Hero

Post by Default User » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 am

When I started actually playing outside our casual playgroup, all the decks were really bad. My best deck had relatively fast clock and almost decent three colored mana base, so it was doing relatively well... Until I got to play against the best player in town.

He won the die roll, played some Moxen, couple of Mana Crypts, Time Walk, Wheel of Fortune, Hurkyll's Recall, all the 0 mana artifacts, Icy and Balance, with one card left in his hand. All this before I got to play a single card.

Then he got a Jayemdae Tome, which he used always in his upkeep, tapping both Mana Crypts, so they did never any damage to him (Yay for the old rules. Tapped artifacts did turn 'off.'). My only play was a lonely City of Brass, which Icy kept tapping, pinging me for one. After the game he showed several The Racks, he still had in hand and another Balance.

He then traded all my 'bad cards' for ones I could use, like my Stasis for his played Savannah Lions. It took me some months to realize how badly he got me... twice.

But this game got me interested in the actual rules of the game, so I count is as a big win.

I have also played vintage decks with the only aim of casting as many Shahrazads as possible.Those were fun in casual, but in competitive events, it propably was not such an good idea. But I had to play a deck, that, during a sub-game, could use Burning Wish to snatch a Shahrazad from the stack of the main game. (As all the cards in the main game were removed from the sub-game.)

I always checked with Rune Horvik before the events, if the high level judges had yet changed the rules, as this was one of the strangest ways to have the rules-verse implode. If a spell is removed from the stack during resolution, what happens. Can spells use last known information? And was it fair that I could pre-sideboard for the main game, by wishing for sideboard cards during sub-games (all card involved in sub-games were shuffled back into the main game -library).
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 pm

I have a strory that sadly involves pp in it.
I came back from the USA and finaly bought some real good cards.
We play a fun game and he gets to start, and plays a plains and passes. I fan out my hand and find land Black Lotus Juzam djinn YEAH! I did not care about the rest. I play land lotus which he knew I had and was very exited to see it I have it first turn, sac it and play the JUZUM DJINN! i am total exited and he will loose it big time this time, he plays a second plains smiles and cast.
Pacifism >:-(
I get pinged to death by my own first turn juzam!
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Gryfalia wrote:I was killed by Karma (literally in this case), while all of my damage producing mana sources (aka mountains/badlands) were being wrecked by Conversion. I was slowly dying, all the while complaining that I had put basic plains in my deck just so I could cast the disenchant in my hand...

Wait for it...

Yeah, I didn't even notice until after the game was over.
LOL... that takes me back!!!

I had a mono-red deck back in early '94 that always ran 1 disenchant, for just such an "emergency". A friend borrowed it and wondered how he'd cast it, with no white sources in the deck. I informed him that he'd only need it when he had "lots of white" :-D

Seems strange now, but I remember how much those land hosers got ran in the early days. One of the reasons I went mono-green to start was the lack of a real good hoser for forests (until Legends). It is also why most of us disliked Dual lands...

"You mean it dies to Flashfires and does damage to me from Karma?"

"Yep"

"Screw that, I'll just run regular lands"

Ah... the naivety of youth :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:36 pm

A few years back I built a really strange Vintage fun deck with 5 colors, heavily relying on green and blue with Bops and Eternal Witnesses, Intuition and Brainstorms and a few counters and many fetchlands.

I actually got to the final (it was a rather small tournament) and played against a mono-white based on the infinite-life Daru Spirtualist combo (with Nomads en-Kor and Worthy Cause).

After we had won one game each we got to the decisive third game.

He quickly got to infinite life but so did I (yes, I also had Fastbond-Zuran Orb-Crucible of Worlds in my weird deck !), and so he proposed to end that game in a draw.

I immediately said yes, no point in continuing the game and let's move to another one and after like 10 seconds I remembered what my main winner-card in my deck was: Door to Nothingness !!!

Of course I lost the third game and the tournament after that brilliant move.