Have you seen these misprints?

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Have you seen these misprints?

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:15 pm

I've been collecting misprints for a while, but there are some that I've just never run across, ever. I'm not sure if they all even exist. The existence of one miscut rare in theory would imply an entire miscut rare sheet, but who knows how many escaped? Have you seen or heard of (or do you own) any of these? This is not a solicitation to buy; I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen these anywhere.

crimped Beta Sol Ring
crimped Beta Mox Sapphire
crimped Beta Mox Ruby
crimped Beta Tropical Island
crimped Beta Plateau
crimped The Abyss
crimped Chain Lightning

Miscut The Dark 50/50 side-by-side Tormod's Crypt (I have one half, but have never seen the other)
Miscut Italian Legends 50/50 top/bottom (I have one and have heard of one more)
Miscut Mercadian Masques 50/50 top/bottom (I've heard of these and may have seen one)
Heavily miscut Masques Brainstorm (70/30 vertically at a slight angle) (I have a few miscut commons from MM like this, so theoretically there should be a Brainstorm)
Upside-down back foil Masques Brainstorm (SCG had one and sold it a few years ago, but there should be others out there possibly)
Miscut top/bottom 70-30 Italian Alliances Gorilla Shaman (I have 4 other commons like this)
Miscut Gaea's Cradle/Tolarian Academy/Yawgmoth's Will where you could see two cards
Miscut side-by-side 40/60 Revised rares (I have seen Rocket Launcher/Volcanic Eruption, Wheel of Fortune/Armageddon, and Wheel of Fortune/something green)
miscut Japanese Onslaught foil rares (missing left border--I have seen Wooded Foothills, Arcanis, Aven Brigadier, Visara, Oversold Cemetery, others)

miscut rotated foil rares from Morningtide (seen/heard of Bitterblossom, Countryside Crusher, Cream of the Crop, Mind Spring, Reveillark, a few others)

Very light-printed with silver set symbol Visions Vampiric Tutor (I've seen a few other Visions rares like this)

crimped Broodstar (foil or nonfoil)
miscut Broodstar (foil or nonfoil)

misprinted in any way Morphling
misprinted in any way Jace, the Mind Sculptor
misprinted in any way Tarmogoyf
misprinted in any way Grim Tutor
misprinted in any way Imperial Seal

blurry/double-printed Lorwyn cards, possibly pro-tour-stamped (I have Jace and Chandra, but I'm sure there are more out there)

miscut Beta cards where you can see 2 cards
miscut P3K cards where you can see 2 cards
misprinted Summer cards
miscut AQ rares where you can see 2 cards (not counting ende73's Mishra's Workshop, I've seen 2 Strip Mines)

crimped cards that are crimped both top and bottom (seen 4)

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Have you seen these misprints?

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:I've been collecting misprints for a while, but there are some that I've just never run across, ever. I'm not sure if they all even exist. The existence of one miscut rare in theory would imply an entire miscut rare sheet, but who knows how many escaped? Have you seen or heard of (or do you own) any of these? This is not a solicitation to buy; I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen these anywhere.
Sorry, can’t help. Have never seen any of the ones you list. I’m thinking, though that the whole sheet theory fails in the case where a sheet gets off center and is noted, the bins of cards are checked and most of them captured but maybe not all. Of course it is possible that an irregular card or two were intentionally removed by someone for their own purpose—a whole sheet of them, though, might have been a bit too much. I’m sure there were some sheets that were never noted though and the rest of that sheet should be out there somewher…well except for that booster some kid opened and, except for the rare, threw in the trash.

I don’t think crimped things will be by the sheet—only by the booster—I could be wrong of course. Also my take would be that cremped boosters would be real hard to spot for removal. When I saw it, the cremping process was quite close to packaging and unless a person was standing over it these could easily escape. Top and bottom cremping? I have never seen but can understand how it could happen.

I have the miscut FBB “Beta” that has 4 cards on it—the one Tap4Black posted awhile back but I'm sure you saw that scan.

Gary

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:54 pm

I have actively looked for misprints for several years and own quite a few, but can confirm I never saw any of the ones you mentioned.

I already posted about my Mishra's Workshop having been almost certainly manually cut off from a sheet, but I do own another rare AQ miscut showing parts of 4 cards which seems more "legit"... but then where would all the others be? Is it possible that only single specimens from wrong sheets actually made into packs back in the days (I don't know how quality control worked at the time)?

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:48 pm

It is also possible they ended up in the trash - I know back in the day if I got miscut cards I just chucked them, unless they were good rares. I came to Magic from sports card collecting and thought miscuts were junk. In addition, since we didn't play with sleeves back then nobody would allow you to use a card with a miscut back. Most of the miscuts I ever saw were Revised/The Dark and on, so to use they weren't even really "great" cards.

Sigh... funny how things change :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

BenBleiweiss
Legendary StarcityGames General Manager

Post by BenBleiweiss » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Ben:

I can confirm that at least one sheet of Commons and at least one sheet of Uncommons from Foil MM were printed upside down. I haven't seen more than one copy of any given Foil MM upside-down card.

For what it's worth - let me know if you ever come across the Brainstorm again.

We've owned a Brainstorm and a Deepwood Tantiv that were misprinted in this fashion.

- Ben

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:25 pm

There's also a foil rare sheet of MM with upsidedown backs I have one of the crap rares.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Magic61983 wrote:There's also a foil rare sheet of MM with upsidedown backs I have one of the crap rares.
I saw the Misdirection at Bazaar of Moxen 3 or 4 owend by some 60ish year old Irish guy.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:02 am

I have miscut cards that show two cards from Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited, so I know they exist. Haven't seen any Antiquities miscut, but I have seen albino Antiquities for sure. Also have a Candelabra that has, on back, a white border with everything else in shades of red & orange.

I also have an Ice Age card that is miscut 90/10 (from left to right) that is also crimped at the top, so mistakes are just bound to happen...