GenCon 2011 - Are you going?

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:41 pm

oooh! Do I get to meet the guy I painted those Mysticals for? :D

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:02 pm

yawg07 wrote:oooh! Do I get to meet the guy I painted those Mysticals for? :D
I'll see if I can arrange that....

Seriously I have had a lot of fun with those.

Gary

Apocalypse2K
Legendary Apocalypse Tempest Collector

Post by Apocalypse2K » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 pm

I bring some JP promo singles and tip& token cards.

Trade at Saturday. (I have only Vintage deck until Friday.)

Hiromichi.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:42 am

mystical_tutor wrote:OBTW. The food consessions are close, easy, ok food and expensive. Corner stores are almost nonexistant. There is a food court that is a little walk from the convention center, a little cheaper and often has discount tickets in your bag of goodies. It is on the web page map.

ON THE Way to that food court--in the corrodor there is a corner that has a vending machine. Water is available here at a reasonable price (half what it is in the center locations). This is last years information and I hope it hasn't changed.

Gary
And don't forget Steak n' Shake, right down the street! I've only been to Gen Con twice, but SnS was an important part of both trips!

Sadly, I won't be going this year, spent the vacation funds in Disney :)

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 am

Could someone get me 4 Hymn to Tourachs signed by Susan van Camp ?
Just contact me - I would be grateful.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Congrats to Apocalypse1150 for vintage Prelim1 Top8 !

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:18 pm

aleksandr wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:OBTW. The food consessions are close, easy, ok food and expensive. Corner stores are almost nonexistant. There is a food court that is a little walk from the convention center, a little cheaper and often has discount tickets in your bag of goodies. It is on the web page map.

ON THE Way to that food court--in the corrodor there is a corner that has a vending machine. Water is available here at a reasonable price (half what it is in the center locations). This is last years information and I hope it hasn't changed.

Gary
And don't forget Steak n' Shake, right down the street! I've only been to Gen Con twice, but SnS was an important part of both trips!
I'm from Bloomington/Normal, the home of Steak and Shake. It's always been strange that this somewhat large chain actually sold off it's first location about 7 years back. Until I realized it was on a flood plain and it would get flooded every few years..;-)

Gencon was short for me this year, I left early Friday to head back to the store, but it was a good time while I was there (Wed, Thurs, early Fri). Went 7-0 at the 'Trade Day' mini-master event...rar!
He's just this guy, ya know?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:58 am

NeRo wrote:Could someone get me 4 Hymn to Tourachs signed by Susan van Camp ?
Just contact me - I would be grateful.
Sorry didn't see this till I got back. I probably could have picked them up for you as Susan was signing. Unless you wanted 4 APs. She was asking $300 each for them.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:00 am

aleksandr wrote:And don't forget Steak n' Shake, right down the street! I've only been to Gen Con twice, but SnS was an important part of both trips!
Yep, most reasonable place to eat--wonder where they get their beef though....

Gary

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:45 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
Sorry didn't see this till I got back. I probably could have picked them up for you as Susan was signing. Unless you wanted 4 APs. She was asking $300 each for them.

Gary
I meant usual ones ... anyway I got to blame myself for writing it that late :-(

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:45 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:I meant usual ones ... anyway I got to blame myself for writing it that late :-(
Well, also, I had a problem with email while there. I was out of my room from 9am-6pm at the Exibit Hall/gaming area. Eating time took up a bit as I was usually with Peter at some "dinner" with people he knows. Played a bunch of Burning Wheel and by mignight fell into bed totally exhausted--never even thought about checking email.

Really really enjoyed my time with board members at Champions. Wish we had more time--but I was running out of stories so it was good we split.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Agreed- Having a beer at champs with Gary was GREAT!!! I'm trying to get back into the 'daily grind.' Once I get back on track, I will post the picture of us all.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:49 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:I meant usual ones ... anyway I got to blame myself for writing it that late :-(
Well, also, I had a problem with email while there. I was out of my room from 9am-6pm at the Exibit Hall/gaming area. Eating time took up a bit as I was usually with Peter at some "dinner" with people he knows. Played a bunch of Burning Wheel and by mignight fell into bed totally exhausted--never even thought about checking email.

Really really enjoyed my time with board members at Champions. Wish we had more time--but I was running out of stories so it was good we split.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Gary
Man I am sorry I could not meet up with you guys. I did not have a car and our hotel was 10 miles outside the city so I was kinda lost. I just got back from the trip today actually. After driving with some friends to Gencon from Philly, I flew to Phoenix for 4 days then flew to SF for 6 days. Hope you all had a great time at the con. I for sure am going back next year, and will have better bearings as it will not be my cherry breaking Gencon the 2nd time. Jason

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 am

Well... it took a lot longer than I planned, but here is our Librarities meetup picture:
From left to right:
Paul Mastriano 2008 Vintage World Champ
Brian Keil <RitNecroWin>
Hiromichie <Apocalypse1150> 2009 Vintage World Champ
Gary Adkison <Mysticaltutor>
Gus's friend- sorry can't remeber his name :/
Gus Schade <Yawg07>
Last edited by ritnecrowin on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:03 am

also, I just had to share this from Gen Con... I managed to find the only two Disney Princesses, get them together and have them take a picture with my Disney altered P9! (As an aside, these ladies did not know one another and weren't aware that anyone else dressed in Disney)