Mail Brag!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 am

I do like those illustrated guides, I also liked the folders that came out for the sets but there never seemed to be any consistency. Our local shop never had them and I only ever see them on eBay occassionally and they are not cheap.

Has anyone brought out something like this, a combo of illustrated guides and a set of matching folders?

My old folders all had a blown up scan of the front of their respective booster on them but they still looked like work folders. I threw out all the folders when I shipped the pages to Australia so now I am looking for something nice to store them in, I might just go for boxes rather than folders because I don't flip through them and I could probably do with the space.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 am

I have one of those duel-master books! I can affirm they are neat. Too bad the font is wingdings.

Default User
Librarities Hero

Post by Default User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:32 pm

berkumps wrote:
Cool.

It is interesting that some of these have a green sticker stuck to the wrapper, whereas others have the green circle printed as part of the wrapper.
I don't know why the stickers had to be added afterwards, but our university games club was sourced to stick those finnish/swedish rules -stickers on the boxes at Fantasiapelit (the finnish distributor) warehouse. We got about 400$ worth of board games out of the deal and all together spent about 25 man hours on the project.

To be fair the games club also organized the MtG nationals and helped to run the largest Con in Finland (and largest voluntary worker run con in Europe.) with help of plenty of other people, so this was nothing new for us. We did other similar projects, adding finnish rules into board game boxes and helping out in odd jobs. We even got to play Pikatchu at book stores. The costume was a nice rubber contraption, which had to be filled with air, to make it a big ball, which was hot and really hard to move in, without causing bookshelves to crash. :-D

My guess would be that the printing shop didn't get the translation for the version on time to print on the box/wrapper, so it had to be done manually. But nice blast from my past.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Default User wrote:
berkumps wrote:
Cool.

It is interesting that some of these have a green sticker stuck to the wrapper, whereas others have the green circle printed as part of the wrapper.
I don't know why the stickers had to be added afterwards, but our university games club was sourced to stick those finnish/swedish rules -stickers on the boxes at Fantasiapelit (the finnish distributor) warehouse. We got about 400$ worth of board games out of the deal and all together spent about 25 man hours on the project.

To be fair the games club also organized the MtG nationals and helped to run the largest Con in Finland (and largest voluntary worker run con in Europe.) with help of plenty of other people, so this was nothing new for us. We did other similar projects, adding finnish rules into board game boxes and helping out in odd jobs. We even got to play Pikatchu at book stores. The costume was a nice rubber contraption, which had to be filled with air, to make it a big ball, which was hot and really hard to move in, without causing bookshelves to crash. :-D

My guess would be that the printing shop didn't get the translation for the version on time to print on the box/wrapper, so it had to be done manually. But nice blast from my past.
Very cool information!

Thanks for sharing.

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Post by jamesbond » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Some cards i've put today in my bank's safe :

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 pm

At what bank, did you say .... =P~ ??

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Bank safe what's the point of that you can't even enjoy them?
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Post by jamesbond » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Magic61983 wrote:Bank safe what's the point of that you can't even enjoy them?
I've started to put things in a safe when my neighbor's apartment burn two years ago.

When you're coming back home and you see a fire brigade at the bottom of your bulding with a fireman going out your window with the fireman's ladder, you'll always rebember it, i promess :-O

Otherwise, someone i know was recently the victim of a burglary here in France (near Paris).
He lost about 50K€ of cards (at retailling price) >:-(

For all those reasons, i prefer to know my collection in a safe place.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:42 pm

jamesbond wrote: I've started to put things in a safe when my neighbor's apartment burn two years ago.

Otherwise, someone i know was recently the victim of a burglary here in France (near Paris).
He lost about 50K€ of cards (at retailling price) >:-(

For all those reasons, i prefer to know my collection in a safe place.
Sad but true, we now have three members of our coin club and three members of our Bullion forum who have all had break-ins and had everything taken, latest theft was over New Years when a safe was cut open and $200,000 of Gold and Silver was taken. Add into that the number of bushfires and floods we get around here and you can see why home is not always the safest place.

Sad to see Magic items get stolen though, just about everyone on the planet
knows gold is valuable but only other magic players know how much cardboard is worth.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:30 am

Oh my, James Bond...
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:31 am

When my apartment in Newark NJ got burgled I had the luck of Magic cards having low street value.

me: did he take the magic cards?
roommate: no, but he took your laptop.
me: whatever, the magic cards are ok?

I had a stack of power on my dresser :-O

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 pm

My Joy of the day, over 15 years, I was looking for it :dance:

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:25 pm

dragsamou wrote:My Joy of the day, over 15 years, I was looking for it :dance:
Looking for the deck? Or packaged like this in blister pack?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 pm

berkumps wrote:
dragsamou wrote:My Joy of the day, over 15 years, I was looking for it :dance:
Looking for the deck? Or packaged like this in blister pack?
Looking for nothing, got some for my Sealed blister and Sealed Deck collection :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Just got my boxes from England, put them on the ship back in September so I am now trying to find homes for everything, as I was putting a few thihngs away I came across my own PrePhotoshop customised cards.

I pretty much just bought a few packs of panini stickers and cut them to size. Not quite sure how many copyright violations I scored when making those.