Collector's Edition II

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

misterpid
Legendary World's Toughest Milkman

Post by misterpid » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Fires of Yavimaya
Blastoderm
Masticore
Chimeric Idol
Saproling Burst
Rishadan Port
Illusions of Grandeur
Donate
Sapphire Medallion
Accumulated Knowledge
Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:44 pm

I really took a minute to think about this set, as if it were to actually be made. If indeed it was, I think it'd be a 350 card set. 20 basic lands, with a remainder of 320 cards. And presumably a structure like this=

Land x 30
Artifact x 45
Gold x 15
5 colors x 45 each

With an equal amount of each rarity, no? Oftentimes, a large set (like the core sets) will have more commons, but, let's face it, overall the rares rule. So, I'm figuring a 1/3 of each rarity will be great. Reasonable too.

I'd still also say that with the exception of printing basic lands, CE II would not include any Beta cards. So, assuming this was truly to be made, would this be a reasonable way to structure the set??

And then I guess another reasonable question is symmetry. If we include a Sapphire Medallion, do we include the other 4? Or do we find other similar cards that "help" the other colors?

Sorry, taking the thought process more seriously than I should, I guess...

Thrond
Librarities Legend

Post by Thrond » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Cursed Scroll
Mogg fanatic

victorcamp
Librarities Legend

Post by victorcamp » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:05 pm

Hans and Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar. :-D

magicdude

Post by magicdude » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:39 pm

Sinkhole
Stone Rain
Shivan Dragon
Llanowar Elves
Birds of Paradise

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:22 pm

they should just print a version of the cube. I'd buy it no matter what the backs looked like.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Would you buy it if it was $399? How could WOTC sell what's in the cube without pissing off collectors? Print the restricted cards without any artwork and blank backs?

I think that if you reprint any of the p9 in any playable form, it would anger collectors (myself included).
Last edited by squt on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 am

what if they were like the cards from the championship edition? And if it was below 200 I'd most likely buy it. 8-[

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:56 am

squt wrote:Would you buy it if it was $399? How could WOTC sell what's in the cube without pissing off collectors? Print the restricted cards without any artwork and blank backs?

I think that if you reprint any of the p9 in any playable form, it would anger off collectors (myself included).
With the release of a special set reprinting these powerful cards, the value of the old cards could still be sustained and potentially increased in a paradoxical manner. By marketing these cards in a casual manner, people would be able to play with them in a number of casual settings and/or for testing serious decks. This renewed interest in older cards can increase the attention paid to older formats by both old and new players; thus increasing the market for the actual cards for sanctioned events. I think this could be a win-win for the older formats in general and the collectors who retain or the dealers that sell or trade the originals.

I look at my original CE cards and, although I have the real counterparts, still value the CE cards for testing, fun, etc. By making a CE II of this caliber extremely distinguishable from their authentic counterparts, reprinting in this manner could possibly be done not to de-value anyone's hard-earned collections. Square corners, gold borders(on the face), alternate art, and different backs will put them in the same league as the World Championship decks that are regularly produced.

I would welcome more diverse decks and players in the eternal arenas even if it is a casual setting dictated by non-sanctioned cards. In addition, I would like to do a cube as they did at the invitational with different people without the worry that someone would walk off with my cards because of their value.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Interesting point, Djinn. But do you have a precedent that you can cite?

I know that many times when an older card is reprinted, the original goes up in value because people want to pimp out their T2 decks. But do you really think that the value of a card that currently sells for $1-2,000 would go UP if more of them (in any form) were around?

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:33 pm

squt wrote:Interesting point, Djinn. But do you have a precedent that you can cite?

I know that many times when an older card is reprinted, the original goes up in value because people want to pimp out their T2 decks. But do you really think that the value of a card that currently sells for $1-2,000 would go UP if more of them (in any form) were around?
Honestly, I don't know if there is a positive correlation with the increase of value of the stratosphere-priced cards if their presence in casual arenas is increased- I can foresee, however, an increased interest (which, could, in and of itself lead to an increase in demand) in all the included cards just based on their being on the periphery of everyone's awareness. My sense is that the value of the older cards from the stratosphere level would be sustained just based on power, novelty, rarity, and good old supply and demand underlying sanctioned events. Let's face it...if a new Spike enters the world of Type 1 and has the disposable income to buy/trade for stratosphere cards, then that person will do it regardless of the price; thus sustaining the value as the supply will always be diminished by the demand.

More players with access to older cards in general would bring a derivitave market to the current marketplace by being apt to trade for the CEII cards as well as bring an interest to the originals for casual/testing/novelty/etc. This interest in their presence- be they CEII or original printings, would shine light on cards that have been relegated to trade binders for years. Without the presence of the CEII cards, interest in the older cards is minimally relegated to tournament staples for the eternal formats, some thematic cards(i.e. slivers) and the collector values attributed to rarity sustaining their prices. Time has shown that most silver-age(post Legends cards) have devalued after their day in the sun. This project would bring some light to cards that haven't seen the light of day since, well, around when they printed Light of Day in Tempest...but I digress...

My sense, after almost 14 years around Magic, is that the authentic power cards will always retain and gain value nominally based on the saturation of players in the game. Take for example the explosion of power prices in '02. Even I did not foresee the effect the European players and the strength of the Euro had on power cards 5 years ago. Prior to the surge in their prices, I was trading the cards as if they were at their ceiling prices(i.e.- Time walk @ 160) because I didn't sense any increase in interest toward older cards because of WOTC's overwhelming focus on new product and seeming neglect towards the Vintage landscape.

The only precedent I can see to draw experience from to say that it would be a win-win for players/collectors and traders would be reflecting upon the sustained value of the authentic ABU power cards juxtaposed with the value of the original Collector's Edition cards. The presence of the CE cards never hurt the value of the originals as far as value goes. Case in point- I remember buying my CE set for $50 and am amazed that the Lotus itself goes for 3 times that price nowadays, whilst watching the ABU cards steadily increase in the same timeframe.

I guess I want my cake and be able to eat it too- this whole pipe dream is about increasing casual diversity and sustaining awareness for old cards while sustaining collector values...

In a nutshell- if done prudently, a CE II could both share the wealth (more fun, diverse options for more players who don't have the older cards) and sustain and grow the economy (develop a reverence for said cards and make them viable commodities for players, collectors and dealers in the process).

Thanks for listening to my ramblings...