How do wizards learn spells in magic?

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

How do wizards learn spells in magic?

Post by squt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:32 pm

And before some jackass says 'by drawing them from their deck', I'm talking about in the imaginary world (books, comic books, etc). I have been playing this game for a decade, but I honestly don't know how the whole process works within the overarching stories.

Are they written down on scrolls and memorized, like in some video games and RPGs? Are they just 'known' by people who can use mana? Can only planeswalkers do it? I honestly have no idea.

Squt

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:41 pm

Heck if I know. It kind of seems like things like that in the Magic storylines are basically dependent on whatever the writer wants. Though I can definitely answer that many non-planeswalkers can cast spells.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:23 am

As far as I know, wielding magic is an innate ability granted to some people with their birth. Some are more gifted than others, but all of them need to train their abilities to enhance and control them by studying and practising.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:07 am

I know there's some study involved because of things like the Riptide project and Tolarian Academy, I am just not sure of *what* they're studying. I guess I will have to read one of the recent books.

squt

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:32 am

Decades of Study.
Years of Library-Construction.
Hours of Preparation.
Seconds of Tapping Lotus for RRR, Channel, Fireball you.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:52 pm

Do not expect to find a good answer for your question in the first book you pick. As flatmatt said, there is no fleshed out concept, but authors have the liberty to make up an explanation on their own, and they seldomly go to detail about these things that much. That said, I am sure a storyline guru who has read ALL the books can recall a certain passage where an author felt the need to explain it. From how I understand it, mages have to learn how to channel their magical powers. A child gifted with such powers may be able to crush all dishes in the kitchen as a result of its overwhelming anger, but only a trained mage is able to burst a single cup at will.

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:44 am

Well according to the very 1st novel written (Arena, I think) for MTG, Spells are won/acquired as amulets that they would keep in a satchel.