Looking for alternate fourth edition sealed product

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Looking for alternate fourth edition sealed product

Post by Jmaschme » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:57 am

A starter deck box (or multiple starter deck boxes) would be ideal, but I'll gladly buy individual decks or bunches of them if they are sealed.

Kind regards

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 am

If you ever open a Gaea's Liege please let me know. Last one I need for my set.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:30 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:If you ever open a Gaea's Liege please let me know. Last one I need for my set.

Gary
Gary. I have a present for you. :-\' Lets just say all your alt 4th lands will eventually be turned to forests! It will be in the mail soon. Jason

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Jason;

Don't know what to say... It will be so good to complete the set, then comes the upgrading of those that need it, though I'm not a sticker for condition like some. Now I will have to figure out where all I requested notification if one came in and go cancel them.... A problem I am happy to have!!!!!

Thanks big buddy, I owe you again....

Gary

Blood wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:If you ever open a Gaea's Liege please let me know. Last one I need for my set.

Gary
Gary. I have a present for you. :-\' Lets just say all your alt 4th lands will eventually be turned to forests! It will be in the mail soon. Jason
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Post by Jmaschme » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:22 pm

I opened two starters and did get a Gaea's Liege of all things. Next tell me you need a Shivan Dragon and Birds of Paradise before I open my next starter! Speaking of, I don't have a next starter to open. Maybe it will help if I offer pricing:

- 1 deck $200
- 2 decks $420
- 3 decks $690
- 4 decks $960
- 5 decks $1,250
- 6 decks (I think this is the equivalent of a box?) $1,600

Help a guy out!

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Jmaschme wrote:I opened two starters and did get a Gaea's Liege of all things. Next tell me you need a Shivan Dragon and Birds of Paradise before I open my next starter! Speaking of, I don't have a next starter to open. Maybe it will help if I offer pricing:

- 1 deck $200
- 2 decks $420
- 3 decks $690
- 4 decks $960
- 5 decks $1,250
- 6 decks (I think this is the equivalent of a box?) $1,600

Help a guy out!
There should be 10 decks in a box.

At those prices, I'd gladly sell you some decks if I had them (besides the 1 in my sealed collection).

I did sell two full boxes of alt 4th decks (20 decks in total) for $300/box to a member here a few years ago. Now I wish I hadn't : (

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Post by Jmaschme » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:51 am

I haven't been able to find starters for less than $200 retail. But I haven't been looking for long. Like all of these old things, maybe it's scarcer than people realize. Perhaps I shouldn't be opening the decks at all...

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:32 am

Good heavens, alternate 4th starters go for $200 a starter these days? It was just a few years ago that they were $25 - $45 a starter. I had an opportunity to pick up a sealed box of them for $300 about two years ago. I wish I had done that! #-o

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 am

I am no expert but that does seem a bit high, I bought 3 a couple of years ago and I don't think I paid more than $40 each for them.

I got them from eBay, not a whole lot of interest inthem.

It might be cheaper to buy the cards individually, can't imagine they are that popular

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Individual starters can still be had for $80 to $100 on a somewhat regular basis. If you are lucky, every once in a while they pop up for as low as $50.

10 deck boxes rarely show up for less than $500, and they have been much rarer in the last two years than in the prior three or four years.

It seems that the burst of product that was released starting around 2007 is gone. Either that, or whoever has the stuff has stopped releasing it. My guess is that most of the sealed product is gone, since the people who were selling it were surprised by how much it was selling for (at the time, $250+ per 10 deck box, vs. $120 for regular 4th). The sellers I dealt with were doing everything possible to try and find more. At the time, I even offered $300 per box and they couldn't find anything.

It was a weird time, as many well known dealers and resellers, once they discovered some of their boxes of 4th were alt. 4th, got rid of the sealed alt 4th boxes quickly and cheaply (as if it were counterfeit or as if WOTC would somehow punish them for having it).

It may be that there is another cache that will someday be released. Or it may be that virtually everything that is available is already out. Alt 4th will never be common. It may end up being as rare, or rarer, the Limited or Arabian Nights.

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Personally I haven't seen any of those starters around for a while now, and I definitely think they're now in the 200$ range like John said, maybe even more. I bought one some months ago for 90$, and then again one last week for 205$ and I'm gonna sit on them for a while, I have the feeling those will go up, seeing this kind of craze that's been going on about Alt 4th cards recently. Some stores even have them (out of stock) of course at 345$/starter. It's really high considering the higest card you can get is like 100$, but it seems we're there. This, or I just don't know where to find them for cheap.

Matt
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:31 am

matts46570 wrote:Personally I haven't seen any of those starters around for a while now, and I definitely think they're now in the 200$ range like John said, maybe even more. I bought one some months ago for 90$, and then again one last week for 205$ and I'm gonna sit on them for a while, I have the feeling those will go up, seeing this kind of craze that's been going on about Alt 4th cards recently. Some stores even have them (out of stock) of course at 345$/starter. It's really high considering the higest card you can get is like 100$, but it seems we're there. This, or I just don't know where to find them for cheap.

Matt
If starter decks are now over $200 each, what value would a full set have? If you get perfect distribution, you need 40+ decks to get a full set. If only half the cost goes into the full set, and half goes into the extra cards, that still implies a set value of $4,000, unless we get a huge disconnect between sealed product and the cards inside.

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Post by Jmaschme » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:04 am

the starters are indeed hard to find. I ended up finding a number of them (not that many though) and opened a few, but then a set came available and I bought that. It was quite a discount to the $4,000 you mentioned. there is a disconnect between sealed product and the set. there really aren't any great cards in there. birds of paradise and shivan dragon are the two most exciting cards. overall, I did not find it as satisfying as collecting some of the other sets due to the ho-hum factor of the cards. that said, I will not be parting with the sealed decks I still have or the set I acquired...

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Post by Jmaschme » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:06 am

a real challenge would be trying to get a gem mint graded set of alt fourth. I do not have the energy or desire to try. but from what I've seen the cards have some centering issues. also, the cards are loose in the deck with no wrapper inside the starter so they bang around in the cardboard. plus apparently they show signs of edge wear more easily than other magic cards.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:34 am

Why do you think Alt 4th is so popular? As you say, it isn't for the cards themselves.

I think that maybe Summer is getting too expensive and Alt 4th has enough of an air of mystery to it to be a budget replacement.

The cost of sealed boxes of Revised has also skyrocketed though it seems to have plateaued over the past year. Glad they didn't make boosters of Fourth, that would be a pain to get hold of...

Actually, is there any reason why they didn't make boosters? If they were doing a demonstration then you would think they would want to show off their booster making capabilities as well.