The 'chaosdjinn is an idiot...' Broodmate Dragon Fund

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 am

btw ... ABU has them "on sale" für 2.69 USD. :wink:

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 pm

You should probably jump on these "cheap" broodmate's quick before someone at channel fireball or abu reads this thread and starts increasing the price in a vain attempt to "account for perceived demand".

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:45 pm

I second that- as soon as I had my Goblin Game article published, a number of vendors doubled and tripled the price on the card.

I miss the days where I could buy GGs all day long at .25 and $1 for foil.

If I come across any of these on the cheap, I'll grab them for you. :)

Personally, i think you should write an article about this as you hunt your 'white whale.'... it could help justify your experience and become something personal to you.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 pm

The biggest problem is that WotC do not disclose any information about the promo cards, and keep the secret as if it were National Military Secret.

They seem to care less about the millions of dollars spent by collectors in the MTG economy.

OK it does not go in their pockets, but that makes the shops live. Because they don't live out of drafts and pre-releases...

No shop, no MTG.

How can a company like this with Marketing Managers don't even think of this ?

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Thank you all for the feedback and the reinforcement of the perception that it is indeed a futile endeavor. But, if I find them in trade, I will pick them up to just to delude myself that it is making a difference on the bottom line of my folly.
:-D

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:27 pm

magic-belgium wrote:The biggest problem is that WotC do not disclose any information about the promo cards, and keep the secret as if it were National Military Secret.

They seem to care less about the millions of dollars spent by collectors in the MTG economy.

OK it does not go in their pockets, but that makes the shops live. Because they don't live out of drafts and pre-releases...

No shop, no MTG.

How can a company like this with Marketing Managers don't even think of this ?
I always wondered that myself- it seems that public print run information, as well as release schedules and frequencies would shore up the faith of collectors investing in the niche markets; which, for certain WOTC employees,drive the demand to have those jobs continue with their employment.
Last edited by chaosdjinn on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:I second that- as soon as I had my Goblin Game article published, a number of vendors doubled and tripled the price on the card.

I miss the days where I could buy GGs all day long at .25 and $1 for foil.

If I come across any of these on the cheap, I'll grab them for you. :)

Personally, i think you should write an article about this as you hunt your 'white whale.'... it could help justify your experience and become something personal to you.
Can you link to the article? I missed it. Thank you for the offer to help with my misguided pursuit of idiocy. :-P

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:05 pm

I know that in many areas of collecting the numbers are findable for an item. Does the US mint tell how many of a given coin/proof set are produced? How about stamps?

Do other card companies (WoW, L5R, whatever) publically announce their print runs?

If I was running the company I would not publish numbers as it adds to the mystic of the product.

I wonder what would have happened if they had not told us how many "foil" Helvaults there were?

There may also be a confidence factor for certain items. If the mass market promos are "contracted" by the vendors [remember WotC does not stock shelves at WallMart], or if local national distributors "order" certain numbers of promos I can see where that information would be very sensitive from a business point of view.

Gary

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Gary,

You usually know print runs for stamps and coins. Especially gold and silver coins. Alhough paper money is not my strong suit, I know there are different print runs / emissions and I know that changes the value similar to reprints.

Ofcourse unlike magic cards, stamps or money have a "face value". So you can guess how much one had to pay to get one when it was issued. Which also limits the number of people that could afford it. Unlike regular magic cards which in theory costs its owner only the price of a booster.

An example I find so amusing is one of the first local paper money. Its value was equal to roughly 26 kilos of gold when it was printed. It still costs that much - maybe more - to get a copy. Yet, not that big of a profit when copared to opening up a Black lotus in '94 :)

Best,

Ari

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Sometimes production run numbers and other details only come out after a company goes bankrupt. When assets are liquidated someone usually ends up with all the old paperwork, and this sort of valuable information is in there and gets published. There is precedent in record collecting, where old record labels have gone under.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 am

Thanks; I was thinking there was some kind of handle on money, specially proof/mint sets. I can remember something about a special silver dollar of which there were only a few known but the original mintage numbers were available and of course the speculation was wild about what happened to all the rest and "finding" them.

Were there only two sheets printed with HP back Magic cards???
kalimno wrote:Gary,

You usually know print runs for stamps and coins. Especially gold and silver coins. Alhough paper money is not my strong suit, I know there are different print runs / emissions and I know that changes the value similar to reprints.

Ofcourse unlike magic cards, stamps or money have a "face value". So you can guess how much one had to pay to get one when it was issued. Which also limits the number of people that could afford it. Unlike regular magic cards which in theory costs its owner only the price of a booster.

An example I find so amusing is one of the first local paper money. Its value was equal to roughly 26 kilos of gold when it was printed. It still costs that much - maybe more - to get a copy. Yet, not that big of a profit when copared to opening up a Black lotus in '94 :)

Best,

Ari
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:38 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
Were there only two sheets printed with HP back Magic cards???
Will we ever know ?

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 am

I picked up 2 more as throw-ins on trades. Down to $39.42 each.
:-P