Looking for Complete Oversized Arena Set

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Let's say I have none. I have a few only so it is better to buy a set.
The current auction doesn't provide any guidance about the condition of the cards and the seller hasn't responded to the query I sent about 4 hours ago.

If you are willing to risk it, buy this set and then get the Radiant 99 from that EU person-to-person site that won't accept users from the USA (sorry, don't remember the name). I saw Radiant 99 cards there last week.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Yes, I can always try to get the cards, then upgrade them.

Thanks for the tip.

Did you question the seller about the condition ?

Are you planning to bid there to get the lot ?

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:30 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Did you question the seller about the condition ?

Are you planning to bid there to get the lot ?
Yes, I questioned the seller (see "...the seller hasn't responded to the query I sent about 4 hours ago" in earlier post).

I'm not planning to bid, not sure how I would explain it to my wife. Plus, I don't know enough about them. For example, I asked if these were kept in a smoke-free environment. I don't want to add smoke-tainted cards to my environment. And, at the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, I already have a "complete" players set. I'd feel like a hoarder if I bought this.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I also saw the lot. I need a few more cards to complete my players set, but most are radiant '99, which aren't part of the Ebay offering.

I would feel a lot more comfortable if the Ebay lots had more detail. Based on the other auctions, it looks like a long time collector finally liquidating. So condition might be decent. But you never know.

And there is always a slight chance the Ebay account could be hacked. So confirming seller and condition would be nice, even though the Ebay / Paypal buyer protections should be in force.

I haven't seen a full set offered in quite some time. As noted above, if you are patient, few of the individual cards will cost more than $25 each. In smaller lots you can often get many of the harder-to-collect cards at $5 each (the basic lands, the ice age lands, and a few of the magazine promos are plentiful and can be obtained in lots for as low as $1 or $2 each). In the US, it is the radiant '99 cards that are hardest to find, but they can be found in Europe.

For the set on Ebay, if you can confirm that condition is pretty decent (remember it is really tough to get these in true NrMt condition), I would think a price in the $7 - $10 per card range would be very reasonable, since it would save so much time and effort. And if you buy in smaller lots it will take some time and effort.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks for the tip Hank.

Will bid accordingly then.

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:31 pm

The seller recently responded with the following about the condition:
Took a long time too piece this together. No folds or creases, no staples. Stored in a smoke free environment. Some have border chipping but most do not. Hard to get these in this condition as they are so hard to store due to size.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for the update :-)

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 pm

For storage, I have found that comic book bags with the cardboard backing boards work quite nicely.

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm

hammr7 wrote:For storage, I have found that comic book bags with the cardboard backing boards work quite nicely.
That's what I use as well. Do you store them individually, or put multiple in a single bag? I put 4 per bag.

I've been using cardboard comic book boxes but am wondering if there's something the right size that is stronger (for stacking higher) and maybe waterproof to the extent that it can keep them safe if standing in a few inches of water (I've had a broken water pipe once).