empty wrapper and a green sharpie

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mwagee
Librarities Legend

empty wrapper and a green sharpie

Post by mwagee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 am

someone actually bid. quick way to make a pound

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-MAGIC-GATHE ... 500wt_1413

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:52 am

:-k The marker color does not quite match let alone the style of the letter.

Oh well someone is the proud owner of an empty pack with a green E on it for $3 =D>

FYI this is a good example of a known real Summer pack with 'Edgar' ID marking, in case anyone needs to see one again.

Last edited by Hayden on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:42 am

A pack that damaged must have been searched. What's in it???????

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 am

Summer cards :-D

PS: It was like that when I bought it. However of the several packs bought years ago, the 2 that were in the worst shape were opened... And that is where the magnificent BGS 9.5 BOP you may have seen in another thread came from. So I'm not too concerned if they were searched or not.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 am

Isn't the only way to know that they are summer cards is to search the pack? IIRC the "E" was placed on there by some store that obtained a bunch of these and there potentially could be packs somewhere out there that do not have the "E", correct?

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Several non- E summer packs exist. You look at the top card, and can see the copyright date. Last one I saw in person had a Nettling Imp.

I saw maybe 6 months ago that an opened wrapper went for about $125. I wish it were still in completed listings.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:53 am

fvzappa wrote: I saw maybe 6 months ago that an opened wrapper went for about $125. I wish it were still in completed listings.
I hate seeing things like this... I know people collect empty wrappers, but things like this always make me think they will turn up again as re-"sealed" product with dubious intent. Don't know how opened packs can be resealed as to fool buyers but I am sure it happens.
[-X

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:53 am

Sigh, depends so much on the buyer.

My brother-in-law happily presented me with two Unlimited boosters for Christmas one year. It took me about 30 seconds to realize they were resealed. I didn't tell him until years later as I know it was a sacrifice on his part. One had a rare land in it (wrong land).

Gary

Hayden wrote:
fvzappa wrote: I saw maybe 6 months ago that an opened wrapper went for about $125. I wish it were still in completed listings.
I hate seeing things like this... I know people collect empty wrappers, but things like this always make me think they will turn up again as re-"sealed" product with dubious intent. Don't know how opened packs can be resealed as to fool buyers but I am sure it happens.
[-X

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:00 am

I had a guy attempt to return some resealed Yu-Gi-Oh boosters to a store where I was working years ago. With some product it was apparently as simple as gently heating the seam with an iron to reactivate the glue. I'm not sure if Revised packs would have the right glue, or if the age would make this method less effective, but all newer Magic packs (notably Starter and P3K) seem to be constructed correctly for this to work.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 pm

I have no idea on the actual process, but the packing material seems like Mylar. Which actually does not need glue to have an air tight seal. Heating alone is enough.

They may be using glue but if it is Mylar, an iron would be enough to re-seal it.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 am

If you open a pack carefully along the seam you will find an adhesive residue.