The easiest way to discern Alternate 4th from regular 4th is

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

The easiest way to discern Alternate 4th from regular 4th is

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:47 pm

with all the conversation involving alternate 4th, as a lark I thought I'd look at the card boxes I have from the 4th edition starters I've opened creating my 4th edition set, and found these...

http://alienstarfighterpilot.angelfire. ... _Boxes.jpg

and there's a 4th that I didn't scan, but that makes atleast 4 starters I've opened. but don't get too excited for me, as I opened these back in 1995, and these boxes were used to hold decks (which is probably the only reason why I still have them).

quoted from StarCityGames "Alternate Fourth Edition cards look very similar to standard Magic cards, but a closer inspection reveals obvious differences. Their card stock is thicker, their backs feature a glossy finish, and their colors do not show the usual pattern of dots characteristic of Magic: the Gathering cards. Furthermore, they have a special coating which causes the cards to stay dark under ultraviolet light (also known as "black" light), in contrast to standard Magic cards which start to glow when held under similar lighting."

figuring the glossy back finish would be the easiest to do with a LARGE selection of 4th edition cards, I looked, I found some with a deeper shade of black on the border, and a rather new stack of cards like that. and, yes, they look glossy-er (I guess - I used to play the Star Wars CCG by Decipher and THOSE had glossy backs).

Without a card I know is an Alternate 4th, I'm hesitant to get worked up when I could just be wrong, seeing as how I think the glossier backs could just be my wishful thinking.

So, minus going out and buying a ultraviolet (blacklight) light, what is the easiest way to discern with certainty Alternate 4th from regular 4th?

and I'll also look through my revised. hell, who knows, I could be sitting on a starter or 2 of Summer and not even know it.

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Just look at the back. When compared to a regular magic card the back is very glossy and blurry looking. You will also notice that the print is quite different. Regular magic cards are printed with tiny hexagons while Alternate 4th is made of really tiny pixels/dots. (Taken with a 8x Loupe)

Another way that is supposed to work is using a UV lamp/light. Alternate 4th has UV protective coating so it is NOT supposed to flouresce when exposed to UV light, while regular magic cards will glow.

Last edited by wizard1 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Look at the back, the top right corner of the "A" for "MAGIC" is dark blue for alt 4th, light blue for normal magic card

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:17 pm

http://alienstarfighterpilot.angelfire. ... eg_4th.jpg

with the one on the left, the color of the entire card is darker/richer. the darker cards also are glossier but only very very slightly. also, to me they aren't blurry looking.

also, as you can see, there "A" in Magic has that light spot.

Still, I'd like to think that the cards like the one on the left are alt. 4th, but I guess I'm gonna have to buy an ultraviolet light to be sure.

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:19 pm

No those two are both regular cards and not Alternate 4th. You see how both card backs you can see little circles (hexagons in actuality). Thats what normal magic cards have. You should NOT see that in Alternate 4th. Alternate 4th you will only see that the print is made of little DOTS.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:25 pm

ok, so those cards are just cards that were printed with fresh(er) ink maybe?

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Give me a sec and ill give you ultra closeups of the actual prints (ie Hexagons vs Dots)

Image <=== HEXAGONS

VS

Image <=== DOTS

See the difference?
Last edited by wizard1 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:27 pm

wait, I'll show you, actually. granted, they're heavily played, but that "A" trick worked

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:36 pm

The Ashnod's is there for comparison. Sadly, the other 4 cards are all in played condition.

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Yes. Alternate 4th wears a LOT easier than regular magic cards. Hard to find them in NM to M condition in the wild unless your source has been opening starters.

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:16 pm

It's really not that hard, since Alien gave a scan, I'll just tell where to look

I usually just look at these 2 point to tell alt 4th or not.

Top Right of A
Alt 4th. Dark Blue
Reg. Light Blue

I
Alth 4th. goes Dark to Light blue from top to bottom
Reg. Overall it looks same blue from top to bottom

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:16 pm

If you are only doing a few cards (or a few hundred, in stacks) then the "A" on the back is usually the easiest way.

If you have thousands of cards to go through, checking the fronts under a UV light (a long fluorescent one, not a painted incandescent one) makes it real easy.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:54 pm

This thread has been real interesting. I have used a combination of the above depending on the situation. It is kinda hard to take a black light into the dealers area at GenCon or your local card shop but if you can use one it sure makes the going easyer.

Neet to see what strikes different people and how something really stands out for one and doesn't for another (never even noticed the "e" thing--I just look at the left side of the "M").

Sigh, still need 21 more.

Gary

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:06 am

Gary,

Since AzureWinter and wizard1 both gave me the information I needed to figure out how to tell alternate 4th from regular, I've sent them each a list of the cards that I found, giving them first opportunity to trade for anything they might be interested in.

After I've heard back from both of them (or in 2 days), I'll post the remainder in this thread.

Hopefully I'll have a card or two you are looking for.

Clay

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:27 am

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:Gary,

Since AzureWinter and wizard1 both gave me the information I needed to figure out how to tell alternate 4th from regular, I've sent them each a list of the cards that I found, giving them first opportunity to trade for anything they might be interested in.

After I've heard back from both of them (or in 2 days), I'll post the remainder in this thread.

Hopefully I'll have a card or two you are looking for.
Thanks Clay. I would appreciate that.

Gary