"Official" Chinese Token Cards - Fakes?

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

squt

"Official" Chinese Token Cards - Fakes?

Post by squt » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:08 am

Hey all,

sorry if this was already covered, but I purchased 7 mainland china token cards:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3172511776

I got them this week - they look very, very fake, but have the Magic 10th anniversary logo on the back of the cards.  Has anyone else seen these particular tokens?  Any thoughts on their validity?

Squt

catcat

Re: "Official" Chinese Token Cards - Fak

Post by catcat » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:46 am

Hi squt...
Yes thay're really official...thay made from the last Main Distributor in China for the magic 10 years...there have the Booster for them and each Booster have 4 random tokens...the ANGEL and DRAGON token is rare in them...

squt

Post by squt » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:21 am

Maybe I have counterfeit ones then, because the sealed pack I got had all 7 - both Dragon AND Angel.  The card quality is really crappy too - i can't believe that WOTC would put their stamp of approval on these.  They aren't glossy like magic cards.  They're thicker, and blurry.  The mana symbol '0' doesn't look right, and the numbers in the corner are too hard to read.  Furthermore, there's no artist credit.

They just don't look right to me...

squt

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:51 am

Squt, can you put up a better scan of at least 1 so we can better judge

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:21 am

squt wrote:Maybe I have counterfeit ones then, because the sealed pack I got had all 7 - both Dragon AND Angel.  The card quality is really crappy too - i can't believe that WOTC would put their stamp of approval on these.  They aren't glossy like magic cards.  They're thicker, and blurry.  The mana symbol '0' doesn't look right, and the numbers in the corner are too hard to read.  Furthermore, there's no artist credit.

They just don't look right to me...

squt
Hi Squt.
I will say that in regards of your description they look totally Real to me,as I do not have them in hands yet,
probably next week,but out the scans that I received
monthes ago,it's exactly that.I do have a Sealed Booster
and I have sent the scans to Ralph already but it belongs to my Sealed Collection.As soon as I will get the Tokens,I will get back to you,but you have no reasons to worry about fakes on this case,in my opinion.
Also,while there are no Artist names,the Artist are well known,one Member has spotted already 2 of them,on the Scans that I have at home,and I will add more infos soon about them.If you want,I can send you the very first scan that I have of 4 of these tokens.Let me know.

squt

Post by squt » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:14 am

I'm looking at what I got again...the pack he sent it in has pictures of ony 4 token cards on the pack, and it had been opened once and re-sealed (apparently he put all 7 in one booster and mailed it out).

There are two more things about them that make me suspicious - they have a matte finish, not a smooth or glossy finish.  They don't slide together like normal magic cards.  And lastly, they don't SMELL like magic cards!  You know that fresh-pack smell?  I think it's part of why magic is addictive.  Well, these smell like plastic.

Plus, the Angel art is very un-magicky.  I like the squirrel though!  I would love to know who the artists are.

MP

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:44 am

squt wrote:I'm looking at what I got again...the pack he sent it in has pictures of ony 4 token cards on the pack, and it had been opened once and re-sealed (apparently he put all 7 in one booster and mailed it out).

There are two more things about them that make me suspicious - they have a matte finish, not a smooth or glossy finish.  They don't slide together like normal magic cards.  And lastly, they don't SMELL like magic cards!  You know that fresh-pack smell?  I think it's part of why magic is addictive.  Well, these smell like plastic.

Plus, the Angel art is very un-magicky.  I like the squirrel though!  I would love to know who the artists are.

MP
Hi Squt.
I can understand your reaction,but the Only Tokens who smells like Magic are the DCI Ones ;)
I have almost a Full Collection of Tokens,and they are all different in quality.All the S-Chinese and T-Chinese Tokens that I have are not of the Best quality and not all the Tokens have a Glossy finish.I do believe that The "Rolls Royce"of the Tokens are the Real Crazy Clowns Jun Minagishi.Regarding the Artist,the Zombie is from Brom and the Angel from Jonathan Earl Bowser,and that I remember most of the illustrations come from D&D and Forgotten Realms.I will let you know for the 5 others.