Sleeve & Album Recommendations for Set Storage?

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Sleeve & Album Recommendations for Set Storage?

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 am

Hi, I have decided to get some sets and put them in a binder so I can flick through them. I won't be playing with them.

I have bought some KMC Perfect Size sleeves as I intend to double sleeve them. The Ultra Pro Pro Fits are just that little bit too small and it looks like the cards are bending.

I am looking for some sleeves to go on the outside.

I have some unopened boxes of UltraPro from back in the day, other than the hologram detracting from the view they are fine for what I need but I only have a couple of hundred.

Ultra Pro seem to get a lot of flak online for being cheap and nasty, and back in the day I did have a few split on me but they were the only brand available.

I am looking for clear backs, colourless, non textured sleeves because I don't intend to play with the cards and if I do, I will just put them in another sleeve anyway. I want to be able to see the back of the card as they will all be unplayed. No holograms if possible and as the idea is to stop dust and moisture affecting the cards only, they don't have to be that robust.

Not necessarily looking for a budget option but no need to pay for a top of the range gaming product when I just need it for storage.

Any recommendations?

I also have an unopened box of UltraPro Platinum 9 Pocket Pages which I have been hoarding for years but I would prefer not to use a ring binder if possible. These ones are the nine hole punched pages so I can use them in my four ring binders because I can't find three ring binders over here.

I intend to store by set and one portfolio/binder per set would be good. I have seen the new 12 pocket pages but I am not after playsets so they are probably too large for my needs. As I won't be pulling things in and out or moving pages around there is no need for a ringbinder which should save space.

I have a lot of banknote albums but they are bulky and overkill for individual sets. The sets will probably spend most of the time sealed in zip-lock baggies in a sealed box to keep them out of the Queensland humidity so the least wasted space the better

Are side loading pages any good or are they just a gimmick?

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mark

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Re: Sleeve & Album Recommendations for Set Storage?

Post by BillBo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:15 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 am
Any recommendations?
HI Mark:

Below I list the sleeves I use. I can send you samples if you want.
I like binders produced by Monster w/ side-loading pockets since cards don't get pushed up in their pockets and then lost or damaged. I find their binders also much more durable.

Good luck finding your perfect storage solution!
Bernd

SLEEVES
for storage: KMC HYPER MAT Card Barrier, clear (ie, transparent), surface matte, slightly textured back (double-sleeved with KMC perfect fits)
for cheap storage: Channel Fireball, IMHO cheaper and better than UltraPro
for game play: Hareruya (IMHO the least wear and tear due to play/shuffle, super soft to the touch); might be hard to get, though, unless you buy them at a GP booth
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 am

Cheers!

I did see a positive review on the KMC Hypermats but wasn't sure if the back was clear or opaque because of the texture. I will buy some and try them out, I can always use them for decks.

I also saw some mention of Channel Fireball but I will go back and check YouTube.

As for the albums, I will give side loading a try, I looked and all the portfolios with set art on them are about half the cost of some of the sets I am putting in them. They look nice but the older ones were out of stock everywhere anyway.

I saw some binders with zip closures, that might help keep dust out!

I will check out Monster brand too.

Cheers
Mark

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:21 am

Hi Mark

I'm old school, old Utra Pro Vintage binders and Dragon Shield clear sleeves, never used anything else.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Just ordered some clear Dragon Shields to try! Along with some other types of different prices. Dragon Shields are very expensive in the LGS over here but cheaper online.

They are the cheapest of the ones I think I am likely to get, the cheaper ones are really just so I can try them out, just in case.

I still have around 5-6 sealed boxes of Ultra Pro deck protectors from 1995 so that is about 500 already. Shame to open them though, but I dont think they are collectible!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 am

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 pm
Just ordered some clear Dragon Shields to try! Along with some other types of different prices. Dragon Shields are very expensive in the LGS over here but cheaper online.

They are the cheapest of the ones I think I am likely to get, the cheaper ones are really just so I can try them out, just in case.

I still have around 5-6 sealed boxes of Ultra Pro deck protectors from 1995 so that is about 500 already. Shame to open them though, but I dont think they are collectible!
Hi Mark

Some people are collecting Ultra Pro deck protectors Vintage sealed, I have stopped using them many moons ago, I didn't liked the holo foil circle on them, that there was not a clear back and they were a lot of times too short for MTG cards, the top of the card might exit the sleeve. I have used Dragon Shield clear since then, and I'm happy with those.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 am

The hologram is a bit pointless, I guess it stops you getting fake ones ?!

Shouldn't be surprised that some people collect them, they have been in my collection for many years now!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 am

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 am
The hologram is a bit pointless, I guess it stops you getting fake ones ?!

Shouldn't be surprised that some people collect them, they have been in my collection for many years now!
Yes, they moved it also at different places, left, middle, right.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

I have about five sealed boxes of these ones http://diarynote.jp/data/blogs/l/201211 ... 4296_1.jpg pretty sure the hologram is in the middle from memory!

And one sealed from 1996 like this one http://940ee6dce6677fa01d25-0f55c912997 ... 300520.jpg

Didn't reaslise they were some of the first deck protectors made for card games.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 am

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm
I have about five sealed boxes of these ones http://diarynote.jp/data/blogs/l/201211 ... 4296_1.jpg pretty sure the hologram is in the middle from memory!

And one sealed from 1996 like this one http://940ee6dce6677fa01d25-0f55c912997 ... 300520.jpg

Didn't reaslise they were some of the first deck protectors made for card games.
The hologram was on the right for that 1995 version. For the 1996 clear front with black shield backing it was on the left. I will post a pic later on of the 7 Vintage Ultra Pro advertising cards and leaflets that I have (yes, I collect those from back in the years).
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 pm

There were also very thick and durable Ultra Pro sleeves with a double weldseam and big hologram on the right. This would exactly cover the P/T of creatures, so maybe they were from before Magic even started. They are wider than the modern card sleeves, thus don't fit into 9-pocket pages and some deck boxes.