Compilation of Manufacture Information for MTG Sealed Products. PART 1: BOOSTERS. 26 March, 2024.

Different compilations of MTG products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, GlobalBoosterHunter

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:55 pm

And an add on thought.

I don't think the cards that come to Korea are packaged in China. I'll check again but I don't remember seeing that on any of the boxes.

The "dice made in China" probably results in the dice being shipped to CM or to the US for including in the prerelease boxes.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:10 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:And an add on thought.

I don't think the cards that come to Korea are packaged in China. I'll check again but I don't remember seeing that on any of the boxes.

The "dice made in China" probably results in the dice being shipped to CM or to the US for including in the prerelease boxes.

Gary
Hi Gary

On the latest products, I don't collect any of those so I can't talk about them, I noticed different variations. Examples:

Mirrodin Besieged Event Deck
Printed and Assembled in USA (die made in China)
I do believe that the die is fabricated in China, then send to the US to be added.

From the Vault: Dragons Boxset (August 2008)
Printed and Assembled in China: English
Cards printed in the USA: English

From the Vault: Annihilation Boxset (August 2014)
Made in China: English
Cards printed in the USA: English

Theros Prerelease Pack
MADE IN USA, DIE MANUFACTURED IN CHINA: Path of Honor English

So, China is involved in Printing, Assembling, Manufacturing.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:08 am

dragsamou wrote:I got another dose of the same complaint this year as I have gotten for the last two years.

Belgium printed Korean stuff is crap. Poor quality packaging and product to include foil cards that don't hold up.

I can not verify anything about the foil cards but the packaging is obvious to anyone that sets them side by side with US packaged stuff.

Gary
dragsamou wrote:Point is that more and more packaging and assembling are Made in China, while the cards are printed either in Belgium or in the US. Now, on a general level and due to the huge amount of cards printed compared to earlier sets, the quality level is maybe not as good as before. Misprints are not sent back anymore also, so for the Quality control cell of WOTC, they do an amazing job, as so few MTG cards or products are returned to them.
Just for clarification.
No Alexis that is not the point. My comment about what the Koreans are saying has nothing to do with China.
The Korean (players/shop personnel) are disgusted with Belgium Magic products and consider them inferior. They feel they are getting ripped off in some way and are insulted.

I am just relaying a message and adding a muse, in my second post, as to a possible reason.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:03 am

mystical_tutor wrote: No Alexis that is not the point. My comment about what the Koreans are saying has nothing to do with China.
The Korean (players/shop personnel) are disgusted with Belgium Magic products and consider them inferior. They feel they are getting ripped off in some way and are insulted.

I am just relaying a message and adding a muse, in my second post, as to a possible reason.

Gary
Hi Gary

I don't collect Korean cards or MTG Korean products, and as you know, my latest MTG products are from 2010. So, I guess, someone in Korea should contact WOTC/Hasbro to get only Made in US products. Reading a lot of forums, I heard that the latest products are of low qualty also even coming from the US and a lot of people are complaining.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:59 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote: Hi Gary

Point is that more and more packaging and assembling are Made in China, while the cards are printed either in Belgium or in the US. Now, on a general level and due to the huge amount of cards printed compared to earlier sets, the quality level is maybe not as good as before. Misprints are not sent back anymore also, so for the Quality control cell of WOTC, they do an amazing job, as so few MTG cards or products are returned to them.
I still wonder, however, if the quality might be the result of a "second line" of product such as is done in other manufacturing processes. I know from experience that early on the Korean distributor did everything possible to reduce the cost of the product. Is it possible that CM might offer a lower price for a product where some corners are cut in the process? It only takes a very slight cost change to make a noticeable profit.
Just saying...

Gary

What do you mean with "corners cut in the process"?
And what is the exact error with the foils?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:19 am

Cutting corners.

Well, I'm only poising a muse here. Asking a question. You are aware that many top brands run "seconds" for sale in discount chains. I just wondered if CM might do the same.

Foils;

I was told, and noted above I can not verify it, that the foil is not as good of quality as the US foils and actually comes off.
Be advised, I don't speak Korean and the players complaining did not have a great command of English.
I have picked up several Korean foils (about 100) here and don't notice a lot of difference except that some seem to be "flatter" and that most do not cup like the ones at home do--which I like of course. Because these were in bulk I am unable to know if they were made in US or Belgium. I am only passing on what I heard (for the last 3 years).

Gary
Gary Adkison

anselan
Librarities Member

useful link

Post by anselan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:34 pm

There's now a good link for this kind of information at the mothership http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/p ... et-archive. Click on the sets, to get information about what languages are available. Not all sets are clickable unfortunately, but for those that do have a link, the language information seems ok. It doesn't include manufacturing location, but that is secondary to my mind.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: useful link

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:38 pm

anselan wrote:There's now a good link for this kind of information at the mothership http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/p ... et-archive. Click on the sets, to get information about what languages are available. Not all sets are clickable unfortunately, but for those that do have a link, the language information seems ok. It doesn't include manufacturing location, but that is secondary to my mind.
Hi

If the job was done correctly, for the last 15 years, I will not have spent thousands of hours, looking for precised info with the help of members, doing the job of WOTC. Let's take an example:

PORTAL

Languages: English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish

Oops, it doesn't exist in Portuguese. The list of wrong info in the Archives Set, is way too long to mention.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Re: useful link

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:00 am

anselan wrote:There's now a good link for this kind of information at the mothership http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/p ... et-archive. Click on the sets, to get information about what languages are available. Not all sets are clickable unfortunately, but for those that do have a link, the language information seems ok. It doesn't include manufacturing location, but that is secondary to my mind.
This link gives me an "error 404" page not found. I have had that happen sometimes when trying to link from Korea so it may be cured when I return to the US.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:45 am

Neuron wrote: What do you mean with "corners cut in the process"?
And what is the exact error with the foils?
I have persued this a bit more and will add what I have found.

Booster Product manufacturer changed before and after RTR. RTR was done in the US with booster boxes made the same way and of the same material as US distribution. Innistrad block and blocks after RTR and (I think M-12) were printed and packaged in Belgium. The box material is of a distinctly inferior quality. These boxes are also of a different "folding" design, more like boxes from the old days--AN,AQ,etc and may represent the CM box making method. They are very flimsey and literally fall apart when used to store cards in if not carefully handled.
1) poor material in boxes (dull gray--looks recycled--like pasteboard)
2) poor box design.
= a perception that everything about the Korean product is of lower quality. These stores all carry other languages which have higher quality packaging and are side by side on the shelf.

I doubt this is a WotC or CM decision. My bet would be that the Korean distributor specifically contracts for lower cost materials--and blames WotC for it.

I have seen other languages available in US stores. It seems the boxes are of the same quality as US boxes--but I have not been able to verify it as shop owners seem to get very nervous when you start writing down numbers and info. In the US these products are ordered from US distributors by the LGS. Where they get them is assumed WotC. They could be a different line/packaging than what CM or US ships overseas--doesn't seem reasonable though.

Gary
Gary Adkison

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re: Compilation of Manufacture Information for MTG Products

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Japanese Magic Origins made in Japan

Russian Magic Origins made in Belgium

Stores in the USA can sometimes get a couple foreign language booster boxes (with restrictions).
A USA based store owner has told me that his Chinese Dragons of Tarkir booster boxes were canceled from his pre-order via a phone call, with the explanation being a port strike on the USA west coast.
This would imply that those Chinese Dragons of Tarkir boxes were not made in the USA.
(Perhaps they were made in Japan?)

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:05 am

cataclysm80 wrote: A USA based store owner has told me that his Chinese Dragons of Tarkir booster boxes were canceled from his pre-order via a phone call, with the explanation being a port strike on the USA west coast.
This would imply that those Chinese Dragons of Tarkir boxes were not made in the USA.
(Perhaps they were made in Japan?)

Tav
Hi Tav

Dragons of Tarkir exist in Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese, it will be interesting to find out where they were made. It can be also Made in Belgium.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Khans of Tarkir
Made in Belgium: Portuguese

Dragons of Tarkir:
Made in Belgium: Portuguese

Battle for Zendikar:
Made in USA: Portuguese

This is actually worth talking about! I've heard that Portuguese is no longer available to stores in Europe, which means it is only being sold in Brazil now. With that decision in now makes sense for WotC to print this language in USA instead of Belgium. WotC has always made a limited amount of foreign language product printed in the USA available to stores in the USA, does this mean US retailers can now order boxes in Portuguese? This would be amazing if true. Can anyone confirm this?

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I've also heard that Portuguese is only for the Brazil market.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:35 am

Hi

There was not an official announcement on Wizards.com ? I do remember that back in the years talking with some MTG shops some Portuguese products while printed in Belgium were sent first to Brazil then shipped to Portugal. So according to this post, now cards are printed in the US, sent to Brazil, and if Portuguese European players want cards, they need to order them from Brazil, let's see if I can get an answer from a MTG shop based in Lisbon.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.