Real People on MtG cards

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Real People on MtG cards

Post by Neuron » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Bruce Willis - Gideon Jura. Coincidence?

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Re: Real People on MtG cards

Post by Alifromcairo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 am

Sorry Ron, you have been outsriped by this :

http://www.buzzfeed.com/keelyflaherty/c ... .wczyY5znm

:-P
Visit the Shores of Imagination

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks for the link! To my mind, most of the compared people just share the style or the countenance if at all, but Michael Jackson - Oona's Gatewarden is striking :-D

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:01 pm

True ! And Jerry Seinfeld as "The Fallen" is priceless :-D
Visit the Shores of Imagination

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 am

Wasn't there a case where a pretty popular MTG artist got in pretty big trouble for using a celeb as reference and not changing the likeness enough? I forget who, but I believe it was someone who had a falling out with WOTC recently.

Anyways, that buzzfeed link is more troll than interesting observations...but then again...that's buzzfeed for you.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:04 am

TheJGit wrote:Wasn't there a case where a pretty popular MTG artist got in pretty big trouble for using a celeb as reference and not changing the likeness enough? I forget who, but I believe it was someone who had a falling out with WOTC recently.

Anyways, that buzzfeed link is more troll than interesting observations...but then again...that's buzzfeed for you.
It was Nissa, Worldwaker illustrated by Peter Mohrbacher taken from a picture of South African vocalist Yolandi Visser from the South African rap-rave group Die Antwoord:

It was not the first that this has been happening. Lenda Murray, Ms. Olympia champion:

For a lot of MTG cards either Models, Wife of an artist, etc...Was used to illustrate. Example Serra Angel by Douglas Shuler, I own the card signed by the Model.

Model Cheyenne Green for Snuff out card illustrated by Steve Argyle.

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:06 pm

Great adds! Do you have also a photo of the Serra Angel model?

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:28 am

Back in "the day" it was very common practice to use real people for the models for vampires in the Jyhad card game. I think spouses, friends, Wizards employees, and other artists were commonly used. I have many of my vampires signed by both the model and the artist. :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:03 am

Neuron wrote:Great adds! Do you have also a photo of the Serra Angel model?
Unfortunately I don't have it, but I can probably find back her name and look for pics , whenever I dig that signed card and can read the name on it.

According to an old post on MTGsalvation:

Descendant of Kiyomaro depicts the actor Seizo Fukumoto (The Last Samurai)

Heed the Mists depicts the actor Hiroyuki Sanada (The Last Samurai)

Presence of the Master depicts a very well-known figure: Albert Einstein

Elves of Deep Shadow was modelled from a girl named Amber Bird, a friend of Monty Ashley of the Magic Web Team

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazi ... rcana/1736

Fauna Shaman is a model named Karen

Kaja Foglio was the model for Autumn Willow

Monthly Archives: September 2013

Where My M:tG Art Came From: Who and What I Used for Models
By Margaret Organ-Kean | September 19, 2013 | 1 Comment
By now, I’d figured all of North America knew that Kaja Foglio posed for Autumn Willow. (She also posed for several of my other pieces: Lady in Waiting, Firefly Knitting, Sedes Sapeintae, and Arthur and Guinevere.) But from a recent comment I ran into, it seems not.

So for M:tG fans, this is a mostly complete listing of places where reality helped out when I was working on a card painting. I say mostly because I know as soon as I post this, I’ll remember another one or two. Or three.

Amulet of Kroog (Antiquities) – The hands belong to me. Both are my left hand, viewed in a mirror.

Spore Flower (Fallen Empires) – The ruins in the background are John of Gaunt’s Great Hall at Kensington Castle in Warwickshire, UK.

Implements of Sacrifice (Fallen Empires) – I (again with a mirror’s assistance) posed for this one, with some of my kitchen utensils.

Freyalise’s Charm (Ice Age) – A co-worker’s three children posed for this.

Spectral Shield (Ice Age) – A co-worker’s daughter posed for this with her face and hands pressed up against the window. Then, instead of painting from the photo, I painted from the negative.

Tarpan (Ice Age) The tarpan are galloping through the grounds of Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, UK.

Foxfire (Ice Age) The collection of evergreens can be found at Green Lake in Seattle. Snow doesn’t fall every year in Seattle, but one year that it did, I took a lot of pictures, several of which I later used in paintings.

Autumn Willow (Homelands) – Kaja Foglio posed for this; the background is another view of Green Lake.

Daughter of Autumn (Homelands) – Another friend posed for this in the University of Washington’s Arboretum.

Dwarven Pony (Homelands) – I based this on my horse, Smokey, who stood a little less than 14.2 hands and thus was technically a pony.

That, I think, is all of them.

Practically every card in Homelands was a pic of one of the artist's gamer buddies or girlfriends or else.

Also apparently the female Royal Herbalist Alliances is based on the same woman as the original Serra Angel, sayeth Doug "Schuler".

Richard Garfield, Ph.D. is Richard Garfield

Lou Ferrigno was what the artist had in mind for Veteran Bodyguard. (Different theories exist)

ImageImage
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:17 am

thulnanth wrote:Back in "the day" it was very common practice to use real people for the models for vampires in the Jyhad card game. I think spouses, friends, Wizards employees, and other artists were commonly used. I have many of my vampires signed by both the model and the artist. :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared
Posing and staging photographs to paint over is still a very common practice in the industry. It's not always done with traditional photography though. Sometimes it can get blocked out in 3d, or in rare cases sculpted in clay and then photographed. The main thing to consider is that the artist creates their own photographed scene to then pain over.

The two examples that Alexis pointed out are entirely different cases though (counterspell and nissa). The Mohrbacher one is simply detestable. It's really sad to see an artist of that caliber steal images for their own work. It makes you wonder what else he's managed to get paid for that he's stolen. >:-( (apologies for the mini rant...this is my first time seeing the Morhbacher copy)

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:29 am

I think the Real People on MTG cards goes into different categories:

Illustration is inspired by someone, a place, an item, etc...
Illustration is inspired by either a family member, a friend, an animal, etc...
Illustration is inspired by a famous person (Actor, singer, etc...)
Illustration is done over a modeling job by either a family member or a friend
Illustration is done over a modeling job by a paid model
Illustration is done over an actual pic of someone , a place, an item, etc...

If you look at Promos, we have:
APAC Lands
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/44-rari ... index.html
Euro Lands
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/46-rari ... index.html
Magic Invitational Cards
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/699-rar ... index.html
Richard Garfield, Ph.D Foil Version
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/557-rar ... -2004.html

Those are the first ones that came to my mind.

More to be added to the list:
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Legends/Trivia

*Eureka is one of only a few cards to depict a real-world object, in this case Albert Einstein's famous theory of relativity equation E=MC^2. This card partly inspired the creation of Dream Halls.
*Nebuchadnezzar is the only legendary creature to survive with a real-world name. Others, including Hiawatha, Gilgamesh, Beowulf, Lancelot, Circe, Achilles, and Jason, were renamed.
*Presence of the Master depicts Albert Einstein and is one of only a few cards that depicts a real-world figure in its art. Modern cards purposefully avoid real-world names, symbols, events, and figures.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.