Black Lotus AP and fake APs.

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

AbsolutAlphas
Librarities Hero

Post by AbsolutAlphas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:51 pm

I wonder if the guy that won the lotus knew it was from a sheet.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:54 pm

AbsolutAlphas wrote:I wonder if the guy that won the lotus knew it was from a sheet.
You can wonder to a lot of people that bought those AP, as I just wrote down on one FB Group that I belong too:
This topic is not aimed at judging anyone, or doing a Crusade at the Original Owner or Seller (I know really well who they are) but to let know the Artist Proof Community about it.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Samite Healer
Librarities Legend

Post by Samite Healer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

dragsamou wrote:I believe that soon a lot of Foil Exodus Test Prints Exodus will show up, as I heard from a source that one Uncut sheet went under the "Knife". [-X
There were two sheets that became available, and I was bidding on the second one privately after the first one had sold. I lost the bid to a higher number, which included a greater cash amount (my offer involved cash and high-end trade, e.g., power, workshops, bazaars, etc.).

I can confirm that one of the Foil Exodus Test Prints was actually cut last year. I saw the finished product, and confirmed from both parties independently that it was cut. The cards became available for sale around the summer of last year. So, it seems the world is minus one test print sheet.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Samite Healer wrote:
dragsamou wrote:I believe that soon a lot of Foil Exodus Test Prints Exodus will show up, as I heard from a source that one Uncut sheet went under the "Knife". [-X
There were two sheets that became available, and I was bidding on the second one privately after the first one had sold. I lost the bid to a higher number, which included a greater cash amount (my offer involved cash and high-end trade, e.g., power, workshops, bazaars, etc.).

I can confirm that one of the Foil Exodus Test Prints was actually cut last year. I saw the finished product, and confirmed from both parties independently that it was cut. The cards became available for sale around the summer of last year. So, it seems the world is minus one test print sheet.
Thank you Sir to confirmed this info that another serious source has mentioned to me.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:56 pm

It is true that many of the current "error", "misprint" and white backed sheets were used by Carta Mundi as protective sheets. In fact my Pokemon backed Magic Sheet originally escaped from the Carta Mundi print facility in that manner.

All Magic cards (and probably all non-Magic cards) were printed as whole sheets. Each print run was stored on one or more pallets, between printing & coating operations, and before the cutting operation. Good sheets were protected on the bottom and top of the pallet - from dings and pallet indentations - by at least a few scrapped sheets from prior runs that were incomplete, misprinted, or otherwise deemed irregular.

In a few cases, where uncut sheets were shipped out of the Carta Mundi facility, the pallets of good sheets were again protected by previously scrapped sheets, which were likely to be of product unrelated to what was being shipped.

In the case of my Pokemon-backed Magic sheet, it was used as protection for uncut holographic Pokemon product that was shipped out for a big Kay-bee Toy store promotion (each store had a random drawing among Pokemon league participants for one uncut sheet). Luckily for me it was on top of the first sheet of good product (next to actual Pokemon holographic sheets) and was not damaged in transit. It was unknowingly given out as if it were a regular Pokemon sheet and I was the only one who realized that it wasn't. My sheet was unusual in that the misprint was the wrong front / back combination and not bad ink, bad registration, blotches or the like.

I saw numerous Ebay auctions between 1999 and 2003 that offered these protective (now considered "misprint") uncut Magic sheets. They were described as protective sheets. They contained all types of errors, including sheets which had 2 or 3 overprints. Back then the sheets typically went for about $50 each, and almost never reached $100. Talk about a return on investment.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

It's hard to remember anymore where I first heard these things, a lot of it is stuff I've just carried forward since the 90s, when it was just interesting trivia. Thanks hammr7 for letting me know I'm not crazy :)

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:48 am

Samite Healer wrote:

I can also confirm this information is true. I have seen several of these cut cards in person.

Tav

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:30 am

Square cut or round corner?

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:12 am

The test print sheet was cut with rounded corners like regular cards.
They have white backs, and there are also fillers from the sheet.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:18 am

cataclysm80 wrote:The test print sheet was cut with rounded corners like regular cards.

Tav
Hi Tav
Can you post a scan to see what they look like ?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:59 am

cataclysm80 wrote:The test print sheet was cut with rounded corners like regular cards.

Tav
I don't know if I would call them filler cards, just someone trying to maximize value from the scrap leftover, which was the result of the cards being printed 8x9 on an 11x11 sheet.

At least they weren't purposely miscut I guess.

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Yes, you can do business with an ethical minimum, those were offered to different "Big sellers" in the US, one being probably "Mister Business is Business", but he refuses to buy them, I respect him for that...
I couldn't agree more. Thanks guys to keep an eye and to track these "mercenary" sales. The whole community is grateful.
Visit the Shores of Imagination

phigue0

Post by phigue0 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 pm

dragsamou wrote:Seriously,I feel like pucking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Beta-Volcani ... 7675.l2557

Sold for 480$

Now sold by the buyer of the previous one for 1500$ (7500$ BIN)

Seller has made an "effort"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-Volcanic-I ... 418f6ebee5

:-\

Samite Healer
Librarities Legend

Post by Samite Healer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 pm

berkumps wrote:Square cut or round corner?
Round corners.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Yes, that is the sheet.
I think I have scans of some cards, I'll see if I can find them later today.
I'm not sure "maximizing value" is quite the right phrase. From what I understand, because there are so many, they are thrown in as a bonus for anyone who purchases a card.
Tav