Acetone is your best friend ?

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Acetone is your best friend ?

Post by mmgun » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:38 pm

I am almost sure this fake, any thoughts on that ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MISPRINT-blank- ... 51c42696d9

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:01 pm

I saw this one today too. The odd thing is that based on feedback they seem like a somewhat reputable seller. Those are definitely acetoned... >:-(

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Can't believe people are actually bidding on them.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Sooo I was curious and decided to message the seller and got a pretty quick response:
Hi -- I've been selling Magic the Gathering for 10 years. My reputation is important to me. These cards were pulled directly from Khans of Tarkir booster packs and placed in soft sleeves, exactly as I described. I have a witness, my sorter, who actually ripped the packs, but I doubt you'd except her word if you won't accept mine. I suppose when these started showing up, I should have stopped working to video her opening packs? It didn't occur to me that anyone would fake a blank foil, nor would I know how to go about it. We just thought it was strange and unusual and pretty cool. I've opened a lot of packs, and I've pulled some non-foil blanks before, but never something like these. Thanks, Stefan Young
Maybe they're legit? The one thing that makes me question that are the two partial ones. It's actually kind of difficult to get the very light splotchy effect without smearing ink around and making everything else dirty. I just tried it:

So I'll entertain the tiny possibility that they're legit. Either way, I'd still stay away from them.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 am

I have acetoned a few foils in my time, it is the backs where the tell tale signs are, usually a bit of bleed on the edges or a matt spot on the back.

I guess if you did enough of them you pick the best ones.

So, inks removed or something ink resistant spilled on the sheet before printing?

Even if they are genuine they would be so easy to reproduce that I wouldn't consider adding them to a collection.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:53 am

The poster above is correct in that randomly removing ink with acetone or MEK is not that easy. If you want to remove everything it can be done, but selective removal like seen in these samples is not easy at all.

The errors look like just one color was applied, and that color was only partially applied. It was likely that the ink ran out at the one color station. These kinds of thinks happen all the time, including virtually every time the press is stopped. The difference here is that bad product wasn't removed and scrapped.

Think about how your printer cartridge goes light as it runs out of ink. Difference here is that with a rotogravure press (which I believe is the current default for regular production Magic cards) the ink supply typically fails from side to side across the sheet. The ink applications are already so thin that it doesn't take much to make what is applied quite blotchy before it virtually stops the ink from being applied anywhere.

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 pm

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:56 pm

TheJGit wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Khans-of-Tarkir ... 2518.l4276

Another one just popped up 8-|
This one is pretty hilarious though :-D

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Don't know much about these things but the present bidding ($1.04) looks about right to me.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:13 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foil-Forest-Err ... 1c4919de9b

This one doesn't feel right either...inside edges just feel sloppy...oddly enough...the forest symbol appears to be handled quite nicely.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:28 am

TheJGit wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foil-Forest-Err ... 1c4919de9b

This one doesn't feel right either...inside edges just feel sloppy...oddly enough...the forest symbol appears to be handled quite nicely.
I noticed that some inks were more resistant than others when I was blanking cards, particularly the borders and some colours, a couple of wipes with acetone didn't phase them at all.