The Gathering art book sketch cards

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Chad2012
Librarities Legend

The Gathering art book sketch cards

Post by Chad2012 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 pm

There was a new preview for the upcoming art book "The Gathering: Reuniting Pioneering Artists of Magic" that showed off some of the sketch cards that were part of the kickstarter for the book. There are 400 total 4x6 sketch cards, and some levels of the kickstarter included 2 ORIGINAL 6x9 sketch cards. I can't wait for my copy of this book and 2 originals, some of them are absolutely incredible. Anyone else have any cards incoming? I suspect they will hot ticket items in a few months.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... ts-of-magi

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:51 pm

I bought the full set of 400 sketch cards, as well as the level that gives 4 original sketch cards if i remember correctly. I too can't wait to see which originals I get, highly impressed with the level of detail that has gone in to so many of these sketch cards!

Chad2012
Librarities Legend

Post by Chad2012 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm

berkumps wrote:I bought the full set of 400 sketch cards, as well as the level that gives 4 original sketch cards if i remember correctly. I too can't wait to see which originals I get, highly impressed with the level of detail that has gone in to so many of these sketch cards!
Completely agree, you can tell these sketch cards were a labour of love, and not just a quick convention type sketch. I'm kicking myself for not getting more than 2 after seeing these previews, I'll be scouring feebay for them for sure.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:31 am

I also ordered two options for the sketch cards to get four of them, I know it's double dipping but my money is good and I opted in at the very start of the kickstarter. Didn't know they would go as fast as they did.
Plus I'll give the extra book to a friend for a present. So it's not that bad. :wink:
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:09 am

Has anyone received their sketch cards yet? Would love to see them here.
I myself ordered the numbered limited edition so it's taking the longest to arrive of course.
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed May 28, 2014 1:48 pm

I got my set of books and two sketch cards yesterday. I'll try to post scans of the sketch cards tonight.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu May 29, 2014 4:16 am

Here are the two sketch cards that I got with my books. The first is from Mark Poole and the second is from Daniel Gelon:

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Thu May 29, 2014 5:00 am

That 2hg is awesome!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Jeff talked to me about this at GenCon last year and I really meant to get into it but my mind wandered and I was in Korea when it closed.

I have dropped them a post to see if I at least can get a book and maybe the set of cards, worth a try.

Thanks for re-energising this thread. I sometimes close the site on my boruser when doing stuff and loose what is new so miss out.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:18 am

If anyone is interested in buying the book and missed the chance with the Kickstarter then you can get it here:

http://www.fullsteampress.com/the-gathering.html

Either the paperback or hardcover is available, though not the limited edition hardcover.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:33 pm

That is where I sent my request. Waiting for an answer.

Thanks for posting it, I feel better knowing I was on the right track.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

sk1
Librarities Legend

Post by sk1 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:18 am

I got two sketch cards and my son got two:

Mark Poole

Pete Venters

Pat (Morrissey) Lewis

AND

LAST

BUT

NOT

LEAST

WAIT FOR IT.......

Can this be by that little-know artist who merely goes by the initials W T F ? ? ?

I really don't know what to make of this last card.

I don't want to be disrespectful to the artist, but this last card APPEARS to be incomplete. Plus, it's not signed -- no indication at all of who might have started this card. Was this sent to me by mistake? Is this the last drawing that Quinton Hoover was working on? (not to be disrespectful to Mr. Hoover, but that thought did cross my mind)

If anyone can offer any suggestions as to that last card, I would be happy to hear them.

For what it's worth, the scans don't do justice to the cards (except that last one).

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 am

wow, I didn't get mine yet, but I certainly hope I won't get this one ! Not fan of the poole's ones either, but I really like the others !
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm gonna guess that last one is unfinished. I know some artists were having trouble meeting the deadline for the sketch cards, and if Jeff was pressing them hard to get them done (as he should) then it's possible some artists handed in incomplete works.

The last one looks like the beginnings of a dragon/drake hovering above the cityscape. Typically an artist will sign their work once it's complete, which could give an indication as to why this has no signature. If that was my sketch, I would also not sign it.

@ effai: I don't have my stuff either, but international is going to take longer than domestic US ppl that funded. Notice that everyone getting their stuff so far all reside within US. Yours/ours is coming.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:06 pm

I really REALLY regretted not ordering the sketch card bundle till this thread picked up again.