Price Check?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Price Check?

Post by hunterjwizard » Sat May 10, 2014 10:05 am

So I went into my favorite neighborhood cardshop today and was astonished to see several dozen factory-sealed booster boxes of older card sets on display. Apparently one of the regulars needed a few bucks and brought them in. Amongst the offerings I noted a complete set of sealed Urza-block boxes: Urza's Saga, Urza's Legacy, and Urza's destiny. Prices were $500 each for two of the boxes and $900 for the third(unfortunately, due to my failing eyesight, I cannot say which was which, just that it was the three different boxes and those prices).

Anyway, I am just curious if this is a good price for these boxes. I'm not even considering buying them, just wondering if it's a deal. Of course, if its a very good price maybe I should grab them... I dunno, just curious what these things go for.

Thanks!

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat May 10, 2014 11:53 am

I would say they are probably priced at:

Saga - $900
Legacy - $500
Destiny - $500

I wouldn't buy them at those prices, but I know not what the store paid for them, and they have to make some sort of profit. They should probably sell them by the pack instead of per box.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Sat May 10, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks, thats what I figured. I did find a Saga box on ebay for $1400 but it was buy-it-now with no bids. I'm not looking to buy, I'm just curious to know what prices are considered "fair".

Personally, I suggested doing booster drafts at $50-60, I'd play, haha.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sun May 11, 2014 10:12 am

I have seen Saga reaching around $600-$700 on eBay at auction. The others not so much.

I have been tempted around the $600 but not enough to buy any.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Mon May 12, 2014 6:09 am

I am assuming that for those prices you are unlikely to find enough cards inside to pay for the box?

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon May 12, 2014 6:48 pm

I am assuming that for those prices you are unlikely to find enough cards inside to pay for the box?
When isn't this the case?

A dealer I knew BITD always used to say a pack was worth xxx till it was opened when people asked him why Revised sealed product went for so much. Usually old product, from what I have seen, is priced assuming you will get every good card possible and then some. Otherwise you will lose $$.

That being said...

Over time a lot of sealed stuff keeps going up. You're better off keeping a lot of stuff sealed unless you really want to draft some Mirage or something. Revised kept creeping up (and still does) prior to the dual lands being worth the $$. If you happen to be sitting on a box with money card/s in the set the value continues to rise and when someone sells you the box they sell you on getting all the best cards.

Old stuff, you can pretty much get a M/NM set of the cards for considerably less than 1 box of the cards which makes 0 sense to me. Old boxes are rare though and over time will be more rare.