List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Everything that's missing in the Magic Rarities, Magic Card Sets, Magic Memorabilia and Magazine and Comics Galleries Sections.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by Neuron » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:05 pm

All information contributed in this thread and elsewhere is gathered HERE.
Last edited by Neuron on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 74 times in total.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:49 am

Good idea Ron, this will be a Great thread!

Of coarse, the first thing to do when trying to identify which of these sets a card is from is to check the set list. Many cards are only in one of the two sets. For example, there are no dual lands in 4th Edition.

The next thing to look for is a lowercase i or j in the card name. FWB uses slash marks above those letters, while 4th uses more of a round dot. Here is a picture.

Here is a link to an older thread with more tips on how to tell these sets apart. http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=2383

The above tips will help in identifying most cards from these sets, but some cards are more difficult, and this thread is about those difficult cards.

Ron, is your list above a complete list of the cards which are in both sets but do not contain an i or j in the card name?

Tav
Last edited by cataclysm80 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:04 am

For Clarification, we should mention that FWB is a set that is known by many names.

German Unlimited Edition
German Revised White Border
Italian Second Edition
Italian Revised White Border

These are all names for Foreign White Border (FWB).

Sometimes this set is also called Third Edition.
(That is because this set is based off of English Revised which is the Third Edition of the game, even though FWB is only the second printing in each of these languages.)

For uniformity and to help eliminate confusion, please refer to the set as Foreign White border (or FWB) in this thread.

Please DO NOT call 4th Edition FWB even if it is technically foreign and white bordered, because that will only confuse people. 4th Edition should be called 4th Edition.

FWB was also available in French, but that set is not near as difficult to identify as German or Italian. French FWB is completely covered here...
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9063

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:14 am

Happy to provide the first card scans for this thread!

Here is the German Drudge Skeleton & German Fireball.
This picture is in chronological order.
FBB on the Left FWB in the Center 4th Edition on the Right

I have some of the other cards on this list as well, and will try to provide scans of them when I get a chance. (might be a couple weeks?)

I know I have both versions of the Blauer Urknall (Blue Elemental Blast).

Tav

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:16 pm

I think you can get all scans for italian and german cards online. They might be listed wrong according to the set ( saw some wrong at trader-online), but should be available at least. Cardgame-club seems to be very correct.

German:

www.trader-online.de ( type only the german name in the search, else you get english scans)

Example Eye for an Eye

3rd BB

3rdWB

4th

www.cardgame-club.it ( type english or italian names, select magic from the right pulldown menue)

Example for armageddon:
FBB: Image
FWB: Image
4th: Image

For portuguese Cards use this site:

http://www.magicjebb.com.br/site/
Last edited by mmgun on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Thank you for your helpful answers!

Tav, your guide is almost exactly what I thought of, I will add this above. Also good tips concerning the different names, that will be important to avoid confusion.

mmgun: Trader might help with many cards with different text. For the others, the resolution is not good enough to be sure. I made mistakes through that in the past. As visible from the logo in the above examples, they were not done simultaneously, so the color effect could be due to another software.
What's the neccessity to add Portuguese? Thanks for the link, though.

For reasons of practicablility, scans just of "alignment only" cards will be added, for the ones with different text, a (even partial) description of it should be sufficient. This keeps the list short and is easier to paste.

Yet, feel free to post all scans you have for the critical/much time having people.

Not much time now, hope to do the updating soon.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:21 am

Here's the Blue Elemental Blasts, Left to Right, FBB, FWB, & 4th

Tav

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks, added!

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:47 pm

I independently checked, and completely agree with your conclusion on which Samite Healer is FWB and which is 4th.

Here they are...
Left to Right, FBB, FWB, & 4th

Tav

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re: List of hard to distinguish FWB and 4th Edition Cards

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:10 am

Neuron wrote: Waldfeen (Scryb Sprites): Alignment only (http://www.kwicpix.de/images-i27493bfy2ka.jpg)

Having Trouble with my German Scryb Sprites. I have 3 of them with a 1995 copyright date, but I think they all look the same (even under magnification). Can anyone possibly show me the difference, and / or sell me some more Scryb Sprites to look at?

Thanks!

Tav

P.S. The link shown in the above quote doesn't seem to work.

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Sun May 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Added: Pictures of Counterspell, Disenchant, Rod of Ruin, Scryb Sprites.

Green cards are usually more difficult to tell, it seems that the alignment differs less than in other colors.

The picture should show both versions of Scryb Sprites chronologically. The easiest way here is to look how the letters of the rules text are aligned to the wood boards in the background.
Last edited by Neuron on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks, That helps a bunch! The alignment difference is so small that I was having trouble seeing it in the card name (about 3 or 4 pixels difference on a 600 DPI scan).

Looking at the rules text compared to the wood grain background was much easier.

I do have both versions, and will try to post a pic later.

Tav

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Mon May 05, 2014 4:51 pm

My pleasure!

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:57 am

Here's my Scryb Sprite pics...

Left to Right, FWB, & 4th

Because it's so hard to tell them apart, here's a close up of the text boxes next to each other.

Top and bottom of text boxes along with woodgrain lines in background all lined up to match. Text is slightly higher on 4th Edition card. Straight Red Lines added to help you see the difference.
The g in the rules text touches / doesn't touch the woodgrain line.
The D at the beginning of the flavor text doesn't overlap / overlaps the woodgrain line.
The g's in the fourth line of flavor text (bottom red line) covers / touches the woodgrain line.

Tav

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Worked on Italian blue and black cards.